Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 12:36 PM

Default North Wabasca

I was hoping for a snow report for North Wabasca. I was there Feb 19 and could get around anywhere with my 4 x 4. Just wondering how access is now. Heading up Friday morning this coming weekend. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks,
DaveF
Old 03-20-2018, 05:00 PM

Just fish off the bridge .
Old 03-20-2018, 08:32 PM

Default Wabasca

I'm afraid the river was frozen when I was there last. I could set my tip-ups on the railing I suppose.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:38 AM

How was the fishing in February?
Old 03-21-2018, 11:18 AM

Fishing was great for pike. Not so much for walleye.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davef View Post
I'm afraid the river was frozen when I was there last. I could set my tip-ups on the railing I suppose.
That river can be open at pretty odd times, much like the Slave in some spots. Very little flow in that river so IMO it must have something to do with the muskeg it flows through keeping the water warmer or something. I've seen that river wide open and steaming at pretty cold tempatures, at least near the town.

Probably fishing the river would be a good idea at this point, which IMO will probably be open in these tempatures, maybe I'll try next week.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:03 AM

The river between the North and South Wabasca lakes closes march 2nd.

Be careful guys!
Old 03-22-2018, 09:35 PM

No snow updates??? Oh well I’ll take my chance should be an interesting drive in the am. Hoping to catch a few good fish. Thanks for the input men.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davef View Post
No snow updates??? Oh well I’ll take my chance should be an interesting drive in the am. Hoping to catch a few good fish. Thanks for the input men.
I was out there yesterday, the main track out to the point was well beaten. Some flood water though so I would be careful about going off the trail. Fishing was slow, but its just been a slow week IMO. Fished lower and upper Chain, Lawrence, Utikima, North Wab, and Slave this week and all have been slow.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I was out there yesterday, the main track out to the point was well beaten. Some flood water though so I would be careful about going off the trail. Fishing was slow, but its just been a slow week IMO. Fished lower and upper Chain, Lawrence, Utikima, North Wab, and Slave this week and all have been slow.
Forgot to add... take an extension, lots of ice. Even if wanted to drown my crank case it would have been pretty iffy getting through sometimes.