Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-14-2009, 10:28 AM

Default East Pit Lake fishing report

This was my first time at East Pit and I was quite impressed. It was a beautiful lake that looked like it could support some large trout. I fished for about 5 hours and all I could catch was this years stock. I used worms, power bait, and Mepps spinners and I caught them on all of those. Every time I would cast out with power bait I would get nibbles from the small ones, sometimes even before it got to the bottom. However, the novelty of it soon wore out and I was searching for a way to latch into a bigger fish. I saw two groups of people coming from the far end of the lake and between them they had 5-6 3lbs 'Bows. I don't know if there was something to it, or just luck. Has anybody caught larger fish on the near side of the lake?
Old 06-14-2009, 12:17 PM

i used to catch 3+ pound bows on the near side of the lake. I never actually fished the far end as it was too far for my dad who had health problems to walk. This was a few years ago, and the bait was velveta cheese. The fish used to go nuts for it, i dont think they do now thoe. I havent fished there for 2 years now, but last time i went i was catching decent ones using powerbait.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:37 PM

quick question, where is the east pit?
Old 06-14-2009, 05:59 PM

Right by Wabamun. Take the overpass to go to Wab and turn right (left goes to Wab), go about 1 km and the parking area will be on your left. Park in the lot and then walk in you can not drive right to the lake.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:13 PM

I've fished east pit twice. The first time I went ice fishing at the near end and caught one, 3 lb + rainbow. The second time I went, this spring, all the people at the near end I talked to had caught nothing. I went to the far end, where one guy caught 10 fish, and I caught 4 and I missed a few more, at about 1.5 lbs each. Take from it what you will, I guess. The far end takes about 20 minutes to walk to.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish-man View Post
I've fished east pit twice. The first time I went ice fishing at the near end and caught one, 3 lb + rainbow. The second time I went, this spring, all the people at the near end I talked to had caught nothing. I went to the far end, where one guy caught 10 fish, and I caught 4 and I missed a few more, at about 1.5 lbs each. Take from it what you will, I guess. The far end takes about 20 minutes to walk to.
yea i wish there was another way to get over there. It really sucks if a surprise thunderstorm hits and you get stranded haha.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:15 PM

Yah next time I go I will take the hike for sure. I know there are large ones all in that lake, but it so hard mentally to not go where you know big fish have been caught. What size hook where you using? For catch rate do you think a treble hook would hook up more fish then a single hook? I was thinking about this while I was out there. I figured a treble hook would keep the bait on better, thus giving resistance for the hook not to sink into the mouth, but with three hooks there is a more of a chance for them to catch. A single hook would allow the power bait to fall off as soon as it was hit and get a clean set, but less of a chance for the single hook to catch flesh... dilemma dilemma
Old 12-01-2009, 10:20 PM

Default Dec 1/09 East pit lake

7 Inches of ice, fishing Poor. Caught 1, holy hike.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:23 PM

what works the best in east pit when ice fishing