Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-04-2013, 08:08 AM

Good thing the whites aren't gone from people filling their buckets to take home to feed their families, otherwise there would be even less of them!

And Pigeon is hardly a trophy fishery...

Good Monday morning everybody

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 02-04-2013, 09:54 AM

^^^^^^^ Totaly agree
Old 02-04-2013, 11:53 AM

I agree pigeon lake is hardly a trophy lake !
Old 02-04-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady White View Post
OK OK I give you are right it is cheeper to get fish sticks but it costs me minimal to fish as the equipment is borrowed from my father. Gas well that can kill anyones wallet. I am a starving university student and it is the only form of entertainment that I can afford right so I catch fish and eat them and at the same time get hours of entertainment. Win Win but not so much now that I have to drive to Gull Lake or Sylvan because of the evil big fish eating everything in the lake that is 20 minutes away from my house. Stupid trophy fish wrecking things.
What are you studying in University? I would like to know as it may help lend credibility to your argument.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
I actually thought you were referencing Pike when you referred to the "giant fish" eating everything. Pike eat walleye. Catch a 100cm+ pike and there's some serious table fare if that's what you're after.
Wondering where you got that data. The only data I could find (in every single study) was that pike don't eat walleye past the fingerling stage. That is even in lakes with very high walleye populations. Hence, why walleye, if managed the way they are in this province, eat themselves out of house and home and appear to cause other species populations to collapse.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady White View Post
I know a bunch guys that went to Pigeon Lake today and as usual it was just a waste. The whole day they were their and only saw one whitefish nothing else. The lake is dead it is a sad situation. I remember going when I was young and catching huge perch off the dock. It's not just the winter kill and the netting either. Why do we keep introducing fish new fish in large numbers to a lake that don't need to be there? I don't get it. The walleye eat the whitefish and perch therefore less whitefish and perch. But thats ok cause we want to catch the biggest fish right cause that is what matters. Screw that I catch fish to help provide food for my family. That is really hard when the lake is killed off by giant fish that don't belong their. Oh I agree that it is lots of fun to fish but walleye destroy natural species in the lake. Stop doing it and if they are going to stock them, let us pull them out as soon as they get to be a certain size not draw no way is of my money to buy a tag for fishing that'll the the day. I purchase draw tags for large animals cause they feed my family more than one meal. Sustainable fishing in Alberta is a joke, might as well put walleye in every lake and then make every lake a trophy lake cause that is exactly what is happening to Pigeon.
I agree with most of what you are saying and feel your frustration.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Wondering where you got that data. The only data I could find (in every single study) was that pike don't eat walleye past the fingerling stage. That is even in lakes with very high walleye populations. Hence, why walleye, if managed the way they are in this province, eat themselves out of house and home and appear to cause other species populations to collapse.
Seeing as twice Ive personally had a pike try and eat a walleye I was reeling in, the second eye was 3 pounds Id say thats proof enough for me

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-04-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB View Post
What are you studying in University? I would like to know as it may help lend credibility to your argument.
BA Major in Accounting going to be a Chartered Accountant. So no creditability
I was just stating how I feel thats all.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:57 PM

Maybe I should have stated this is just how I feel things are and from the way that the fishing has changed in the lake.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Seeing as twice Ive personally had a pike try and eat a walleye I was reeling in, the second eye was 3 pounds Id say thats proof enough for me
Always appreciate your comments Wayne, I would have to say though that a fish on the line in a panicked state and unable to get away is not at all a normal situation. Again when looking at pike stomach content studies you DO NOT FIND walleye past the fingerling stage (even in lakes with high walleye populations).
Old 02-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
River pike luv 1lb eyes , a twenty plus probably eats 4lb 'ers like candy. Imo.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Always appreciate your comments Wayne, I would have to say though that a fish on the line in a panicked state and unable to get away is not at all a normal situation. Again when looking at pike stomach content studies you DO NOT FIND walleye past the fingerling stage (even in lakes with high walleye populations).
could you cite the studies

I'm sure a few of us would be interested in reading them.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:25 PM

The Lady is absolutly right! U guys that like pigeon lake stay there, catch those trophy walleye and save the rest of the lakes! LMAO
Old 02-04-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Why would pike not eat a walleye past the fingerling stage. I have seen massive pike with bite marks on them from other pike. Just wondering why if they will hunt down a 15 or 20 lbs pike, they wouldn't go after a walleye past the fingerling stage.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post

X2. I know predetors prefer fatty/oily fish such as whitefish, tullibee, and suckers, but would like to see the study saying it wont eat walleye. I think pike are too oppurtunistic to pass up anything.......
Old 02-04-2013, 07:16 PM

A pike might attack a 3lb walleye just out of aggression, not to actually eat it. Same with 10lb pike having big teeth marks in them, its simply a fight between a larger fish and a smaller fish. I don't think they actually meant to eat it. Just kill it.

my 2 cents.
Oliver

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 02-04-2013, 07:22 PM

i have caught 2 fish at once at pigeon; a 50cm walleye with the hook in its mouth and a 109cm pike with the walleye in its mouth... awful big fingerling
Old 02-04-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0liver View Post
A pike might attack a 3lb walleye just out of aggression, not to actually eat it. Same with 10lb pike having big teeth marks in them, its simply a fight between a larger fish and a smaller fish. I don't think they actually meant to eat it. Just kill it.

my 2 cents.
Oliver
Ive seen 5 lb pike with the tails of 3 lb pike sticking out of their mouths floating dead on the surface of the water. They are floating dead because they swallowed to big of a meal. Pike will eat what they can get in their mouth.... Be it fish, muskrat, ducklings, or a shiny beer can.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:

You mean like “Walleye, Stizostedion vitreum, and northern pike, Esox lucius, populations in three Alberta lakes” The Lakes in question were Ethel, Marie and Wolf Lakes in the Lakeland region. The Study was published in “Journal of Fish Biology vol 29 issue 1July 1986”

There are any more if you would like to look. I did this literature review about a year ago and found a number of others as well just can’t remember them all. The one thing they all had in common thought was that pike do not eat Walleye.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy View Post
Why would pike not eat a walleye past the fingerling stage. I have seen massive pike with bite marks on them from other pike. Just wondering why if they will hunt down a 15 or 20 lbs pike, they wouldn't go after a walleye past the fingerling stage.
Pike do eat other pike just not walleye. The theory is that they do not eat p r i c k l y things past a certain size because of injury
Old 02-04-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkfisher View Post
i have caught 2 fish at once at pigeon; a 50cm walleye with the hook in its mouth and a 109cm pike with the walleye in its mouth... awful big fingerling
Again I would have to say though that a fish on a line in a panicked state and unable to get away is not at all a normal situation. This summer I caught a pike with a full sized adult grebe in it (or rather half in half out) once again not normal just a once off. I really don't think that pike have a large influence on the adult grebe population either.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Sorry I'm checking in late. I haven't done any interweb research on the subject nor have any data. Based on personal experience it's just a hunch.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Pike do eat other pike just not walleye. The theory is that they do not eat p r i c k l y things past a certain size because of injury
So do pike only perch at the fingerling stage? As walleyes and perch have the same *****ly texture
Old 02-04-2013, 08:50 PM

Sorry same texture
Old 02-04-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy View Post
So do pike only perch at the fingerling stage? As walleyes and perch have the same *****ly texture
Pike love perch. I did not find a study that separted ingested perch by size though so I could not say.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:25 PM

Default pike-walleye

Cube, there is not one 20lb pike that is afraid of a 5lb walleye in any lake, food is food, and pike will take any great meal they can get their yap around, walleye ,pike, perch, whitefish whatever, when they are hungry all fish are fair game.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:

Another good one was (look at table 2)

"The feeding pattern and daily ration of a top carnivore, the northern pike (Esox lucius)"
James S. Diana
Canadian Journal of Zoology, 1979, 57(11): 2121-2127, 10.1139/z79-279

You can find it here http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/z79-279
Old 02-04-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:

Another one

Relationship of Condition of Walleye (Stizostedion vitreum) and Northern Pike (Esox lucius) to Water Clarity, with Special Reference to Dauphin Lake, Manitoba
J. F. Craig, J. A. Babaluk
Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 1989, 46(9): 1581-1586, 10.1139/f89-201

on line here

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/f89-201

Anyway I'm sure your getting the picture. I stopped at around 12 to 15 scientific papers all saying the same thing ie. pike do not eat walleye.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Again I would have to say though that a fish on a line in a panicked state and unable to get away is not at all a normal situation. This summer I caught a pike with a full sized adult grebe in it (or rather half in half out) once again not normal just a once off. I really don't think that pike have a large influence on the adult grebe population either.

apologies to the OP for the big time derailment, but at least its entertaining
Book learnin and real life experience dont always go hand in hand

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-04-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony5 View Post
Cube, there is not one 20lb pike that is afraid of a 5lb walleye in any lake, food is food, and pike will take any great meal they can get their yap around, walleye ,pike, perch, whitefish whatever, when they are hungry all fish are fair game.
Did not say they were afraid of them just that they don't eat them.

As long as we are talking of personal experience: I have necropsied hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of large pike and have never found a single walleye in any of them.

If you can find me a peer reviewed scientific paper stating otherwise I certainly would love to have a look at it. Not saying they don't exist I just could not find one. Hence, by belief that pike do not eat walleye.