Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-21-2009, 10:34 AM

Default pike recipes

Hey all
Looking to see what all of us have for a favorite pike recipe. I usually use snackery pancake mix and 3/4 a beer mixed with keg seasoning salt and deep fry. Lets see what else everyone else does.

HFC
Old 03-21-2009, 10:44 AM

I love fresh Pike seasoned with garlic and lemon pepper over an open fire in a cast iron skillet.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:11 AM

Hot skillet, butter, basil, red onion montreal steak spice then a little cucumber dressing on top latter, with a cold beer
Old 03-21-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
Hot skillet, butter, basil, red onion montreal steak spice then a little cucumber dressing on top latter, with a cold beer
mmm sounds good I am going to have to give that a try this open season. I usually just bake with lemon and garlic or coat in fish crisp batter.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
I love fresh Pike seasoned with garlic and lemon pepper over an open fire in a cast iron skillet.
x2 on this one but I also add lots of parsley, it makes the pike taste even fresher
Old 03-21-2009, 11:44 AM

Ive got one, cut pike into nice size steaks than place on a 8"X8"X1/2" cedar plank and season, After that wrap pike in bacon and place back on the cedar plank then onto the BBQ untill the bacon is cooked. Last step unwrap the bacon throw the pike in the garbage and enjoy with some hasbrowns.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Albertahog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
Ive got one, cut pike into nice size steaks than place on a 8"X8"X1/2" cedar plank and season, After that wrap pike in bacon and place back on the cedar plank then onto the BBQ untill the bacon is cooked. Last step unwrap the bacon throw the pike in the garbage and enjoy with some hasbrowns.
not sure if you
were trying to make a joke if you hate pike why post

take some tin foil place in some butter maybe garlic if you like place fish in tin foil then sliced onion then slice lemon or lime and sliced tomato with spice that you like .I like miss dash "just me"

ah put the tomato first then the lemon or lime then the onion then the spices .wrap it up put on the bbq or in the camp fire dosent take long depending on the size of fillets.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:35 PM

Default pike recipes

Salt and pepper the meat,make sure its kinda moist and roll in oatmeal and fry in butter. To die for
Old 03-21-2009, 05:00 PM

Put your Pike fillets in a glass casserole dish and pierce it with a fork all over. Pour maple syrup all over and marinade for an hour. Heat oven to 400 and then throw the dish in for 20 minutes ( depending how thick your fillets are ). The sweet flavor tastes great with the Pike flavor.

Again in a casserole dish pour a little Italian salad dressing across the top of the fillets and marinade for an hour, Then pour accent diced tomatoes across the top and cover with Feta cheese. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.

Both recipes are best with winter Pike since there flesh is firmer and less fishy tasting compared to the summer.

Dodger.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
holly cow man , that is something special, go figure what some folks will put themselves through to eat a cooked sliced pig
Old 03-21-2009, 06:35 PM

Smile

Hot BBQ Pike

1 cup of bbq sauce
1/4 cup butter
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 a medium onion
1 table spoon of dried hot peppers.

Take two sheets of tin foil about a foot longer than your fillets. Put them side by side and fold over one side in about 1/2 an inch wide folds. Repeat for 3 wraps to make one large sheet.

Place fillets on the sheet of tin foil.
Cut the butter into 3 chunks and distribute evenly.
Dice the cloves of garlic and spread them over the fish.
Slice the onion and toss over the fish.
Sprinkle the hot peppers over the fish.
Close up the tin foil.

I usually double the tin foil as I don't want any leaks. So I make another large piece and wrap the pike up again.

This can either be cooked on the BBQ or on an open fire. Of course you willl have to watch it either way.

Cook for 10 minutes per side and the place on a large platter. Be extra careful when opening this as it will be full of steam.

I have used this recipe on several different kinds of fish and everyone's enjoyed it. Even my wife who doesn't like hot food.

A second recipe that I've used is also a good one.

Use the same method of doubleing up the tin foil. Instead of using BBQ sauce use ceasar salad dressing.

Enjoy
Old 03-21-2009, 07:41 PM

Default recipes

keep em comin everyone. just means i have more excuses to tell the wife and go fishing.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
Wow that sounds really good. I'm always too lazy to try new recipes because the old beer batter, deep fried pike and fries with some tarter sauce and MGD is hard to beat, but i'm definatley going to try this.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:03 AM

I find that pike makes a pretty decent chowder...as long as you can avoid the y bones when you're cutting the fillets.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 01-19-2010, 03:55 PM

These are some awesome recipes. Another good one is:

one pound pike filets
one garlic toe smashed
salt, pepper, and dill
melted butter
1/2 pound of bacon

lay the filets in a dish that is big enough that they cover the botom
put the garlic in the butter, melt and stir
pour over the filets
spice it up how ever you think and lay the bacon strips over everything
bake at 350 for about 20 mins(untill flaky)

Eat and wash it down with your beer of chioce!
Old 01-19-2010, 07:33 PM

Have some friends in Ont. that take the pike fillets and put them through a grinder or food processor (even if you know the y-bone method). Mix the fish with egg, bread crumbs and your favourite seasonings. Then you make either balls or patties and pan fry or deep fry. We used to be able to spear pike years back, so we ate a lot of pike in the spring.

Forgot to add that when you grind up pike that you don't need to worry so much about the bones prepping it this way
Old 01-19-2010, 09:12 PM

Cut pike into strips if it is big enough, otherwise fillets work great too. LING BACKSTRAPS ARE A BEAUTY IN THIS RECIPE.

Super delicious beer batter recipe.
2/3 cup corn starch
1/3 cup flower
1 tbsp baking powder
lowrys seasoning salt to taste (usually alot)
add beer slowly constantly mixing until it has a paint/ white glue consistency (MUST BE THICK, THIS IS KEY!) Sometimes it takes different amounts so there is no 'add 1 cup of beer'. Honey browns give it a good taste.
DEEP FRY!
When it is still fresh out of the oil hit it with another dash of lowrys.

While you have the fryer out, make onion rings, zucchini disks, mozzerella sticks, basically anything that you can coat and fry. This is the best meal you can have after a day of fishing. Throw some poutine on the side and your living.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:19 PM

Sounds awesome but my arteries closed another 15% just from reading about the side dishes.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfespirit View Post
Sounds awesome but my arteries closed another 15% just from reading about the side dishes.
This is true, its is a really heavy meal. Its a nice treat 2-3 times a season but if you ate this regularly death would shortly follow. We usually make a salad, but who wants to eat the salad? Might have to try deep fry it.....
Old 01-20-2010, 03:22 PM

You can't beat a good old deep fry, but I do like to use a sea food stuffing that I use for Salmon when I go to the coast every year. Once you get the y bones out, it leaves a pocket, or a "flap" (the way I do it any way). Open the flap, put in your stuffing and close up the flap. Add some onions and lemon on top of the fillet, wrap in tin foil and put in the BBQ on the higher rack for 20mins. No matter what you cook.........everything tastes better on the BBQ. I'll have to try the ceder plank and bacon method mentioned earlier, that sounds delish! To heck with it.........trying them all!
Old 01-21-2010, 01:50 AM

Ever heard of Saskatchewan Lobster. Boil the pike in salted water for about 3 min and dip it in butter. Trust me its good
Old 01-21-2010, 01:19 PM

We usually take some soda crackers and grind them into almost a powder and add a little salt and pepper. We then take the pike fillets and dip both sides in this. Next we have whipped eggs in a flat dish and dip both sides of the fillets into it, then drop into a frying pan with butter. Then put a little lemon juice over the top. Incedible taste. We would try something else, but this is just to damn good to give up!
Old 01-21-2010, 01:45 PM

I quite enjoy Battering it with Crushed Salt and Vinegar chips, And Then Fried
Old 01-21-2010, 02:57 PM

I generally bread instead of batter. Find its holds less oil and easier to get nice and crispy. I usually dip in egg then a 50/50 mix of shake'n Bake italian and medium bread crumbs. Double breading makes for a thicker crispier coating. Mmmmmm tartar sauce.