Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2017, 10:58 AM

Default Used Part Mechanic

I have an 06 truck that I only use for hunting/fishing and for hauling garbage to the dump that now needs some repairs for some front-end items. I was therefore looking into doing some of the repairs with used parts to save some cost. I've also realized I won't have the time to do the repairs myself now. Does anyone know a mechanic they can recommend who would install used parts as well (obviously some critical components I would get new but want to use salvaged parts where it make sense). I'm west of Edmonton near Wabamun so Edmonton and west would be preferable.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:08 AM

Jaybeck used to do that, and was pretty reasonable. Not sure if they still do, or are around.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 12-13-2017, 11:12 AM
Banned

Used parts are used parts, never know what you're going to get or how rough they've been treated. If costs are an option, you can buy cheaper new parts, just don't expect the life span of quality.

I used to buy used for my vehicles, personally never again on major wear parts.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:42 PM

Rock auto has some pretty good prices on parts
Old 12-13-2017, 04:53 PM

Used parts for a front end repair is really a head scratcher. Used parts are usually 50 % of new, so not a great deal. A lot of components are on at CT from time to time at 25 % off.

For the labour on a front end, it makes no sense putting in a part that has possibly less than 50 % life, at a minor cost saving.

Drewski
Old 12-13-2017, 08:39 PM

If it is a wear part for the front end I wouldn't even consider used. If it is something that is not normally a part that wears out, used parts may be an option, but they are still used parts.

Feel free to PM me with some more details, I'm in the Edmonton area and might know someone who can do the work.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texican View Post
Rock auto has some pretty good prices on parts
If you aren't in a hurry, Rock Auto is the best place to get parts. Usually half of anywhere else you can get them here even after exchange rate and shipping.

There's a place in west Edmonton that is pretty close in pricing to RA though.
https://www.partsking.ca/
I do a lot of work for others out of my garage and I used to use RA as my go to place if the customer could wait but now I mostly use Parts King for everything.
You can order what you need on their website and have it delivered or pick it up.
I'm not affiliated with them at all and have nothing to gain from referring people to them but I highly recommend them to everyone that asks.
Excellent prices, good selection and great service.

Used front end parts is doable as long as it isn't a wear or consumable item like ball joints or anything with bushings.
Your best bet for used parts is still Pick and Pull (formerly Pick Your Part).
At least there you can pick the part you need in the best condition you can find.