Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2016, 05:36 PM

I found this old book online that a person can listen to for free. Click on the chapters to listen. I haven't listened to the whole book yet. Librivox is a great site to listen to all sorts of great books.

The Book of Camping and Woodcraft : a guidebook for those who travel in the wilderness. written by Horace KEPHART (1862 - 1931)

https://librivox.org/the-book-of-cam...orace-kephart/
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-08-2016, 08:00 AM

Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-08-2016, 11:08 AM

Two things:

1) mora knives are the best knives ever. Stainless or carbon steel, they are the best for any kind of bushcraft and survival

2) bushcraft, hiking, survival, and all outdoor activities are aided by tools, but really it all comes down to your willingness to push on. Mental strength is the strength to move on and be successful. Being able to undergo physical trauma and still mentally be stable is the most important thing in the outdoors. Hands down. This I found out from many years of personal experience.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:10 PM

I might be old school but I use a whatasaw

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...0,839&recidx=0

and as far as a fire starter

http://www.coghlans.com/products/fire-paste-8607
Old 08-08-2016, 11:38 PM

I am no expert, but Bushcraft and Survival are two different disciplines....and the same tools can sometimes be used for both.

The way I understand it, Survival is just that. making it through an emergency situation where knowing the skills and potentially having the tools make the difference whether you make it out or not.

Bushcraft is making your time out in the wilderness more enjoyable and easier by using those same (and some different) tools and skills. But your life is not on the line. Basically, camping without all the modern conveniences....unless you make them yourself.

IMHO...EVERY outdoorsmen should have a good base knowledge of survival skills...'Need-to-Know'.

And bushcraft skills are 'Nice-to-Know'.

But a solid base in both disciplines is 'Great-to-Know'.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 11-08-2016, 04:24 PM

Default good reading resources...

Interesting website but the free books on here are definitely worth checking, very good reading resources...
http://www.canadianwildernesssurviva...-books-manuals
Old 12-13-2017, 05:30 PM

Bumping this thread to see what your favorite Bushcrafting/Outdoors/Prep YouTube channels are?

Here's my list:

Survival Russia
Canadian Prepper
Bushcraft Heroes
TA Outdoors
BC Bushcraft
Joe Robinet
My Self Reliance
Survivaland

What other good ones are there ?
Old 12-13-2017, 05:57 PM

Now there is a worthy bump It was a good thread then, now we can add stuff to watch. Win win.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Two things:

1) mora knives are the best knives ever. Stainless or carbon steel, they are the best for any kind of bushcraft and survival
Seconded on the Mora's. Just great all purpose knives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomama View Post
Bumping this thread to see what your favorite Bushcrafting/Outdoors/Prep YouTube channels are?

Here's my list:

Survival Russia
Canadian Prepper
Bushcraft Heroes
TA Outdoors
BC Bushcraft
Joe Robinet
My Self Reliance
Survivaland

Karamat Wilderness Ways

https://www.youtube.com/user/KaramatWW

Also, Bruce Zawalsky just published his book. I've had the pleasure of taking courses from him before for work and he really knows his stuff. Haven't had the chance to really read it much yet, but hopefully over Christmas I can give it a once over.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:00 PM

Karamat Wilderness Ways - Mors Kochanski (mentioned in post 32)
Old 12-13-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomama View Post

Here's my list:

Survival Russia
Canadian Prepper
Bushcraft Heroes
TA Outdoors
BC Bushcraft
Joe Robinet
My Self Reliance
Survivaland

Far North Bushcraft And Survival
Old 12-14-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atex View Post
Far North Bushcraft And Survival
Yes! Forgot about Loni and his channel. Great stuff on there as well.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:24 AM

Surprised no one has mentioned Mors Kochanski - this man is a legend when it comes to Canadian bushcraft. His books, Bush Craft: Outdoor skills and wilderness survival & Northern Bushcraft, are fantastic.
His adage: "The more you know, the less you carry." is a spot on definition of Bushcraft. He has a Youtube channel as well. As close to a modern day Dick Proenneke as can be.

Ray Mears is also a great bushcraft instructor and author, a tad bit trite - but his heart is in the right place. His books: The Outdoor Survival Handbook & Essential Bushcraft are also good reads.

For saws, I was gifted a Wyoming saw, and it is fantastic. Very well made, and collapses quite small. It has out performed all matter of folding saws that I have used.

This fire starting tip I picked up about a decade ago from a friend, place your thumbs and index fingers together in this configuration:

Then, bring your hands to your mouth and blow through the small orifice between your thumbs and index fingers. Your digits work to concentrate the airflow, accelerating velocity. Works well to get fires going, better than blowing with your mouth alone.

Using pine knots to start fires, some call it Northern fatwood. Find a dead pine, even if it's rotten. Find the branches, and remove them from the stump. Trim off the rotten material, and within the core of where the branches meet the trunk, the pine pitch will have concentrated as the wood decayed. These knots take fire well, burn long and hot and are easy to light. Get a good enough one, and it burns like it was soaked in kerosene.

Ray Mears taught me this trick, but this guy also explains the process well:
Finding Fatwood

In case you find yourself needing fish bait, in the winter months, search out and find the Gall on a Goldenrod. You've probably seen them before, they look like an onion growing on the stem of a dead Goldenrod plant:

Carefully split it open, and inside will be the larvae of the Gall Fly. The larvae produces glycerol, a natural way to protect the larvae from freezing.

There's your trout bait.