Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2017, 08:52 AM

Default When it's time to put Fido down...

I just wanted to let you guys know about "vets to go". They operate in Calgary and Edmonton. My Brittany and best buddy had a paralyzed larynx for some time and last month it finally got so bad that he could barely breathe and I knew the time had come to say goodbye.

My mutt hated going to the vet clinic. He would tremble upon arrival and keep trying to leave. I dreaded having to take him to be put down. My wife read about vets to go so we called them. A lady (originally from somewhere in South America, can't recall her name just now) actually came at 9:00 on a Friday evening. She was very gentle and kind, even shedding a few tears with us. A little prep work to administer the shot effectively, and then the injection. He passed away about three seconds after the shot, all in my arms on his favourite carpet, just like he went to sleep. After checking his heart beat a couple times to ensure he had died, she took the body away for cremation and called us a couple weeks later to let us know his ashes could be picked up.

The process caused way less trauma for the dog and less for us too. Cost maybe $100 more than what the clinic quoted us for all services with us having to come in, and she came out to Okotoks from Calgary. We thought it was well worth it. Would recommend them. https://vetstogo.com/
Old 12-14-2017, 08:56 AM
Banned

So sorry to hear of your loss Oky. Glad to know that the lady made things much easier for you, the family and your bud.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:59 AM

Sorry to hear of your loss. Glad someone was able to offer this service for you.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-14-2017, 09:11 AM

Condolences. They leave paw prints on your heart.

I had to put a bullet in my best buddies brain as she napped in her favorite spot in the sun, one morning as she hated vets, too.

You did a good thing.

I'm sure a service such as you used will do well. I know I'll spread the word.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:18 AM

Very sorry to hear this Oki, my condolences to your family.
Thanks for the info, anything that releaves anxiety for the dog is welcome for sure, that it helps the family is even better.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:26 AM

Sorry to hear about your dog. We went through a similar process this spring, and having the euthanasia done at home, surrounded by her family, was very peaceful for her.

It's not always possible to do at home, but if I am ever in that situation again, I think it is the way to go.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:28 AM

I'm very sorry for your loss Oko.

Our Brittany (and my husband's best buddy) is going downhill very quickly and we know saying good bye to her is in our near future.

We've already discussed Vets to Go for all of the same reasons you stated.

Thank you for sharing your experience during your time of sorrow. It has cemented my plans for when Maddie's time comes.

Big hugs from a fellow Brittany lover
Old 12-14-2017, 11:22 AM

It's a tough day when that happens.
When we put our lab down, we set up the day at the vet. Spent a lot of time with him before, during and stayed a while after to get composed. Didn't think about till well after how our family must have appeared walking out, with no pet, at the vet.
The home idea really sounds like the best idea I can imagine for this process.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:32 AM

I'm so sorry.

The pain of my little buddy dying suddenly was worse than the pain of myself being paralyzed.

Sending warm wishes.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:52 AM

Default .

Sorry to hear of your loss. It is indeed a sad day for you and your Family.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_dave View Post
I'm so sorry.

The pain of my little buddy dying suddenly was worse than the pain of myself being paralyzed.

Sending warm wishes.
I'm not sure which is worse, suddenly or having, by all appearances, a healthy looking dog which is going to go downhill fast and know its coming. I've gone through both and both situations suck.

Sorry for your loss Oki.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:12 PM

Very sorry for your loss Okotokian.

We are facing the same thing in the near future. Our St. Bernard, Jethro is also our 5 year old boys best friend. He has to visit with him every time he walks by Jethro's bed. The old boy hates going outside but any time one of the kids are outside he has to go and follow them around the yard then gets sore after.
A few times lately he has needed to go outside in the middle of the night but can't stand up with his back legs.

I honestly shed a tear the first time I had help him stand up at 2 am. He has been on Medicam for a while but when we give him a bigger dose (on sore days) then he goes out and over does it. Making it worse the next day.

He has bad knees and hips. We are going to try some different medication and see if that helps. I am starting to wonder when will be the right time. Prolonging suffering is often just the owner being selfish.

He is just another member of the family.

Sorry to take over the thread, just needed to vent.

When my sister had to get her collie put down she went the same route and that is what will will do also. They set a blanket out in the yard, had a good visit. The vet was not rushed at all, took her time getting to know the dog and keeping everything relaxed. Dog had no idea, went to sleep with a wagging tail.

Geeze, something in my eye...
Old 12-14-2017, 01:06 PM
Banned

Sorry to hear this. My “pup” is 10 years old and I thought we were getting close. Then we brought home a puppy and my 10 year old has life he never had, but know it has just put a delay on the inevitable.

Hopefully you and the family are dealing with it as best as you can.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:10 PM

Default I know how you feel

It is just so hard to say good bye to a dog. But that's the way it is, we live longer than they do.

You did the right thing, thanks for the post.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:13 PM

Sorry to hear this Oki.

We unfortunately found out about Vetstogo this spring when we put Zulu down and suddenly again in August when Jayde our Bull mastiff had cancer. As painful as those experiences were the people at Vetstogo made these situations as pleasant and could be under the circumstances.

I would much rather have the vet come to our house and have our dogs spend their last time here with us in our backyard then in a vets office.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 12-14-2017, 01:15 PM

Tough thread to read.

I like most dogs more than I like most people.

Sorry for your loss Oki, but thanks for the tip. I would like to go that route also when my best friends time comes. Hopefully later than sooner
Old 12-14-2017, 01:28 PM

Sorry to hear Oki, gotta admit the screen is a little blurry now for some reason.

Before we had Duke, I had a foster puppy that we had to put down because of distemper, and we took him to the vet clinic on Edmonton Trail. Thankfully they had a small room where a person could stay with the pup while things were administered, and it had a direct exit to the outside so you didn't have to go through the waiting room and deal with people while upset.

This vet to go will be the way that we care for things with Duke when his time comes.

Take care.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:32 PM

I used Pets to go also on my Mickey dog last year. It was well the extra $. They were very professional and compassionate towards us and our pet. Highly recommended. Then a van came shortely and took him awsy .we had him cremated. Now I have both of my former Brittanys on our book case .
Old 12-14-2017, 01:41 PM
Banned

Condolences.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:45 PM

We did the same with our pup last month. We used Dekens and had it done at home. It was very calming for our dog and ourselves. So sorry for your loss Oko.

Dodger
Old 12-14-2017, 05:09 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Sorry, i hope we can have the same for ours, she like me hates the doctors etc so to go like that would be so much more less stress, again sorry to hear but thanks for sharing because I am sure there are others in these areas that will take that route when the time comes.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-14-2017, 07:01 PM

Sorry to hear this Oko, it is the hardest thing to do. We just put our Britney down a couple days ago, and reading these messages has me all choked up again . Having it done at home though is a good way to do it. Wish I had looked into something like this, but the vet we used in Okotoks was very good also. Very respectful and gave us all the time we needed to say good bye.
Christmas will be missing a very special someone this year.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:03 PM

Sorry for your loss bud. They do leave paw prints on your heart.

That’s a good service indeed.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 12-14-2017, 07:11 PM
Banned

Sorry to hear about the dog, it's never easy.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:54 PM

Default Heavy sigh

Deepest Sympathies

You did the right thing
Old 12-14-2017, 10:16 PM

Sorry for your loss. We lost our little buddy 7 weeks ago. They sure do hold a special place in your heart. My wife and I still shed tears every day.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:05 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very sorry to hear

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 12-15-2017, 07:55 AM

Sorry to hear Oki. Makes me appreciate the time we have left with my best buddy!
Old 12-15-2017, 12:54 PM

Very sorry to hear that....
Old 12-15-2017, 03:46 PM

Sorry for your loss, It's true, they leave paw prints on your heart. My dog, Shadow makes me laugh and smile every day. Not looking forward to that day, she is getting old as-well. You did the right thing, and I will do the same thing when that time comes, hopefully will have a few more years with Shadow. My condolences, and remember all dogs go to heaven.