Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2017, 06:42 PM

Default Sleep apnea and CPAP machines....

Whose got 'em and uses them, how much $$, etc. etc. I was recently tested....haven't heard the results yet but am pretty sure it will be recommended (as its the only way they make any money). I can't help but feel its a scam....
Old 07-18-2017, 06:45 PM

A co worker has the Darthvader mask and he says it works. He gets a way better sleep
Old 07-18-2017, 06:54 PM
Banned

Got a Resmed autoset9. Life changer. No longer tired all day. I never went through the sleep study stuff. Just figured it out on my own and ordered one out of Ontario. CPAPclinic.ca I think.

At the time they were selling for around $2400 in Alberta, and I spent $1200 or so. Not sure if things have changed much since then. (5 years ago maybe)

I found out later they were about half as much again in the states.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:58 PM

I used to snore and wake up the babies and really annoy my wife.
I got my first CPAP in 2008, wore it out and am on my second one.
You may need some patience and commitment to make it work, but I really like mine and hate to sleep without it.

You need to find a mask that works well for you (might not be the first one that you try) and then you need to adjust the mask straps with the least tension that avoids leakage. Furthermore, I think it's really important to run the hose so that it passes from the mask to the headboard of the bed and then runs between the pillow and the headboard; the last thing you want is the hose passing by your hands and arms and getting tangled it in when you move around during the night.

I travel a lot and sometimes the plug in simply does not allow me to put the machine by the headboard (at the side of the bed). On several occasions, I have slept with my head at the foot of the bed, put a chair against the end of the bed (with the chair back against the bed), machine on the seat of the chair, and the chair back keeping my pillow from falling off the end of the bed (chair back becomes the headboard). Never asked the housekeeping person what she thought when she came to make the bed!

I know that you can buy machines on-line for prices much lower than what the 'conventional' sources charge. I am sure some searching on here (there are old threads) and on the web will give you a ton of information.

In my view, a strong commitment to making it work, finding a mask that fits well and orienting the hose so it's not in the way when you inevitably move around, will go a long way to achieving success. It really has been a positive change for me and one that my wife deeply appreciates.

On a side note, my father snored for years and when he got one (maybe 20 years ago), my mother found it a little hard to sleep, as it was too quiet!

If you snore and have sleep apnea, this device should improve how you feel, your health and well being, and may add some years on your life; those are pretty awesome benefits!

Good luck to you.
Hawkeye
Old 07-18-2017, 06:59 PM

Default DeVilbiss CPAP

I've been on CPAP for almost 20 years of all the machines I've had the best was the cheapest one I bought and it runs on 12 volt for camping.

https://www.cpapclinic.ca/CPAP-store...?CatalogID=146
Old 07-18-2017, 07:01 PM

Now I know who not to share a tent with😀
Old 07-18-2017, 07:09 PM

I was using a cpap years ago but decided to lose some weight instead...No longer need it now as long as I stay fit...
Old 07-18-2017, 07:22 PM

I guess I don't doubt that they help people. But I'm not sure I need one ! I snore but I don't sleep fitfully, snorting, starting/stopping breathing, tossing or turning. I always wake up in the same position I went to sleep in. But I am tired.... but in no danger of falling asleep at work or at the wheel, etc. And I can't get over the prices for these gadgets. Why don't I just hook a hose to the humidifier already sitting beside my bed ?? Lol
Old 07-18-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
I was using a cpap years ago but decided to lose some weight instead...No longer need it now as long as I stay fit...
Good for you ! A large percentage of sleep apnea could be rectified by weight loss.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:21 PM

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, bought a machine, tried it 1/2 a dozen times...... just can't get used to sleeping with it on.
Anyone interested, I'd let it go real cheap.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:21 PM

wife said i stopped breathing acouple times a night.So i did the sleep test,contraption on the finger thingy they said i needed one so went through the fitting process couldn't find one that fit me and would work. so they sent me to an actual sleep clinic wired me up and had infra red camera's on me all night. fell asleep on my back woke up on my back no movement.had 6 incidents of mild apnea 4hr of deep rem sleep and awake an abnormal time but the deep rem was very adequate . did not fit the mold not overweight and said they were not in the buisiness of selling units like the first place and i did not require it. 10yrs and still the same go to bed at 10 pm deep asleep at 10:05 (wife comes in wont stir or hear her lol ) wake up at 5 or 5:30 ready to go. Half of all units are over sell.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:52 PM

Muller, need more details.....make, model, mask type etc. PM me if u prefer.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:54 PM
Banned

Default Love it

Had a heart attach 2 years ago when a piece of polish sausage got trapped in the lining of my heart. (Chris Farley joke). Tested at Mazenkowski and in one hour stopped breathing 50 times. Dr said I was running a marathon every night inmy sleep because of lack of oxygen. When the heart works that hard the kidneys do to and this can lead to kidney damage. It certainly lead to peeing up to 12 times a night always wokecup tired and a headache in right frontal lobe. This machine has given me a new lease on life yes it takes a month or more to get used to. When you do you'll be amazed. I never get up to pee I wakevup rested and never wake up to a headache. I have a brand new model I'll sell I got one that better meets my needs 780 340 5885
Old 07-18-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
X2 but if you buy one get it with the humidifier
Old 07-18-2017, 09:16 PM

There are several companies in Alberta that will test you to find out what you need and the right settings and then charge you 2-3X the price that you can get the machines for online.

If you don't have coverage expect to get hosed for $2500-$3000 at a minimum. You can get the same machines online for $800-$1500 or so. If you catch the end of the generation sale you can get them for $500.

They only have a 3 year warranty (and only last just a bit longer than that) and most plans will only cover a new machine every 4 or 5 years so you will have to shell out somewhere.

The bad part is you will have to get tested somewhere. If you buy a machine online and ask one of these testing places to program it they will likely tell you it will cost you $800. Usually all this involves is twisting a knob and pushing a few buttons and a few minutes of time but you need to know your settings.

I am unsure if you can force them to give you your test results or not to program it yourself but you can easily get the settings from a previous machine.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muller View Post
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, bought a machine, tried it 1/2 a dozen times...... just can't get used to sleeping with it on.
Anyone interested, I'd let it go real cheap.
Damn - wish this discussion happened last week. I've been using a CPAP for just over 5 years and love it (actually my wife loves it more than I do). Last week I killed it - trying to bastardize it to work on 12 V. I could have gotten yours and we would both be happy.

I ordered a new one online. My original CPAP cost $2500. This one is being shipped as we speak for $740 (cpapoutlet.ca). I can get away with it because I used to have one so I know what to set it to and how to set it and what to expect. I don't think you should try it without some guidance either professional or at least a friend who has one.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 07-18-2017, 10:01 PM

Default Cpap

Hi Iv'e used one for about 15 years. It has made a tremendous difference to my quality of life. I am not over weight or out of shape, but that could be a factor. I had no trouble getting used to it. If I,m camping or without power I try to sleep on my side that helps. Also I do not use the humidifier function. Maybe I set it wrong but I always find it to damp. I recommend it. It may save your life. Possibly some people whom have died in their sleep may have been saved by a CPAP.
Good luck
Bob
Old 07-18-2017, 10:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Good for you ! A large percentage of sleep apnea could be rectified by weight loss.
True. I noticed even 5 lbs makes a difference. I'm still 5 lbs to much lol.

I've got one I've used for about a year. Once I got used to it I felt great. Wake up a 5 am ready to take on the world. Mine was $2500 but the wife's benefits paid for it.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:16 PM

Can you buy one with a cigarette adapter?
Old 07-18-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Yes a lot of them have the 12v connection. All you have to do is buy the adapter (cord) that has the connections for your machine. For mine it costs about $29 but I've seen them for $18.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
Yes a lot of them have the 12v connection. All you have to do is buy the adapter (cord) that has the connections for your machine. For mine it costs about $29 but I've seen them for $18.

I was only kidding but that's bizarre. Figured if there was oxygen involved having a butt might be an adventure.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:43 PM

No oxygen involved. CPAP - compressed air.

Even so, contrary to popular opinion, oxygen is not flammable. It just supports combustion.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:15 AM

Been using one for 5 years. I have three of them , best investment I have made in my health .
Old 07-19-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
See post#5

Runs on a 12 volt deep cycle battery, when I camp out I use my boat battery to sleep and charge it in the boat during the day.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Learned to sleep on my stomach as well.

Grizz
Old 07-19-2017, 09:21 AM

Geez, I can't believe the guys that put a price tag on your health. I started in January and I wish I had done it a couple of years earlier. No more headaches in the morning, more energy, all around better feeling.
I was told it takes 3-4 months to get used to. Don't give up, it's worth it.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:12 AM

I've had mine for about 3 yrs now. Haven't missed a night with it.
My experience was through a clinic. Sure I paid more for the unit in the clinic than buying it online, but I also had monthly visits to clinic to fine tune the machine to my exact needs. Even with my experience, I doubt I could do that on my own. I have the nasal pillows and first night I was one of the best sleeps in years. I was lucky I think, most take several days or weeks to get used to the machine, mask etc.
It helped me so much, one of my sisters bought one, and my other is looking into it.
There are a couple websites that allow you to track and adjust settings. I think one was called sleepyhead.ca. There is a cpap forum as well (cpap talk on tapatalk) that was a big help. The guys on there know their stuff, and get super detailed on settings etc.
For example, I found plans there for a 12v setup to take tenting and hunting when the RV is not there.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:59 AM

I am six months into mine , I got it after a trip to the emergency with A-fib triggered some testing, turned out my heart was showing signs of high blood pressure where testing only had me on the high side of normal.

I had wondered how will we know it’s working but I was tested 2 months in and my pressure was bang on healthy. One thing is I am using Dristan to keep my sinus’ clear I am a bit concerned about that, but all told I am sleeping better just going on the times I wake up at night and SWMBO’s opinion so it’s the cost of good sleep.

There is an adjustment period so work through it. Now if I could just learn to sleep on my back.

Could anyone share a link to how to run it on 12v 
Old 07-19-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
One thing is I am using Dristan to keep my sinus’ clear I am a bit concerned about that,
Could anyone share a link to how to run it on 12v
When I started I had trouble breathing through my nose I switched to a full-face mask never used Dristan after that. As for running on 12 volt it depends on the machine a Resmed S9 needs a $300 battery pack, check post#5 the one I bought for camping can be plugged into any 12 volt source.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendrake View Post
Had a heart attach 2 years ago when a piece of polish sausage got trapped in the lining of my heart. (Chris Farley joke). Tested at Mazenkowski and in one hour stopped breathing 50 times. Dr said I was running a marathon every night inmy sleep because of lack of oxygen. When the heart works that hard the kidneys do to and this can lead to kidney damage. It certainly lead to peeing up to 12 times a night always wokecup tired and a headache in right frontal lobe. This machine has given me a new lease on life yes it takes a month or more to get used to. When you do you'll be amazed. I never get up to pee I wakevup rested and never wake up to a headache. I have a brand new model I'll sell I got one that better meets my needs 780 340 5885
I didn't have a heart attack but the rest of the story is exactly what I was going thru. Now I sleep like a baby and the alarm actually wakes me up in the morning.