Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-12-2017, 11:00 PM

As an entirely uneducated, new-to-hunting bystander, CWD's virulence is quite worrisome. After listening to that podcast, I'm of the opinion that a viable option is to overhunt the heck out of the CWD-positive areas, educating the hunters on the proper strategies to deal with the meat/carcasses, and to test everything coming out of them. Bring the population levels very low, and keep them there while further strategies are developed. Whatever we can do to lower the risk of infection needs to be done.

While there's no guarantee it's harmful to humans, it's definitely bad for the animals, and I'd rather there still be some of them around for my kids and their kids to hunt in the coming decades.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:12 AM

Have Pronghorn Antelope been tested for CWD?
Old 12-13-2017, 09:33 PM

so if i go out for a hike walking on deer trails through their feces and urine on the trail and touch my boots i could be infected. Or even walk through plants that have had the prion growing in them for years i could be infected. The autobody guy fixing a vehicle that hit a infected deer could get infected... and so on and so on. Sounds like i should be suited up in hazmat suit to cut up my deer and throw away my gear too. Say i throw my first deer in the truck and get blood in the box then it comes back positive cwd but i already had my second deer in there too but it was tested negative. So it could really be contaminated too. I think there would be a pile of people infected with it and dieing with a million different scenarios that people could be in contact with it. In the end i still dont know what to think about the whole situation lol
Old 12-13-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
so if i go out for a hike walking on deer trails through their feces and urine on the trail and touch my boots i could be infected.
Just don't lick your boots and you should be ok
Old 12-14-2017, 08:44 PM

I posted a year ago in Archery section about CWD in the US and that VA. where
I live just pasted a law to outlaw the use of Doe Estreus sent lures in the state of Virginia for the purpose of hunting.

The reason was the concern for spread of CWD.

Uraine and other scents or attachtants where not banned for hunting use and sale of Estreus WAS allowed. (like Walmart and local Gun/Bow shops etc.)
Just can't use it here.

Half ***** attempt to address the situation.

That's the bad news.
Good news is states like Vermont, Ohio, Penns. who have had sever CWD impact in the last 5 years are now making a come back with deer populations.
States like Maryland and Florida and Texas are now the new hot spots for CWD and are seeing devistating losses.

So even if there is no cure, it does seem it spreads and then it runs it coarse.

It's possible it's a time factor with this thing. You can't kill it but it will die or loose the effect there of over time.

If the above is not true then the states of VT. and Oh. and PA. should not have recovered from CWD like they did in the last 5 years.
But they did with no help from humans.
Sometimes no help is the best help of all.
Leave it alone.

Last edited by Bonescreek; 12-14-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonescreek View Post
I posted a year ago in Archery section about CWD in the US and that VA. where
I live just pasted a law to outlaw the use of Doe Estreus sent lures in the state of Virginia for the purpose of hunting.

The reason was the concern for spread of CWD.

Uraine and other scents or attachtants where not banned for hunting use and sale of Estreus WAS allowed. (like Walmart and local Gun/Bow shops etc.)
Just can't use it here.

Half ***** attempt to address the situation.

That's the bad news.
Good news is states like Vermont, Ohio, Penns. who have had sever CWD impact in the last 5 years are now making a come back with deer populations.
States like Maryland and Florida and Texas are now the new hot spots for CWD and are seeing devistating losses.

So even if there is no cure, it does seem it spreads and then it runs it coarse.

It's possible it's a time factor with this thing. You can't kill it but it will die or loose the effect there of over time.

If the above is not true then the states of VT. and Oh. and PA. should not have recovered from CWD like they did in the last 5 years.
But they did with no help from humans.
Sometimes no help is the best help of all.
Leave it alone.
Maybe there is CWD because humans have allowed too much game to occupy the land that is left for them. Maybe nature is taking action because we have not issued enough supplemental tags or doe draws or because some hunters refuse to cull excess bucks while waiting for the trophy of a lifetime.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:33 AM

Not sure what we are supposed to do if a test comes back positive. Is it recommended to dispose of all of our tools, clothing, etc. etc.? You can be as careful as you want but there will still be some blood on boots, outer layer of clothing etc.

Between myself and my buddies, we had 5 muleys in the back of my truck from a CWD zone this year. None of them tested positive, but after the muleys were in, but before I got results, I had a whitetail buck in there too. I washed the truck in between, but apparently that is not good enough?

There's a pretty serious lack of education going on, and maybe the answers aren't known. At the very least I would say there is a pretty serious lack of communication about the risks if the statements made in this thread are accurate.

Thankfully mine was negative but it did take 5 weeks to come back, which I feel is too long.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:51 AM

Many take their skinned deer carcass straight to the butcher. I know quite a few that drop their animals off at a couple locations in Strathmore coming directly from a CWD zone. I wonder if those butchers till accept fresh killed game?

For me it is more convenient to hunt closer to home where there have been no positive tests, YET. Even though I will not harvest in a CWD zone, I am going to start submitting heads. I will not stop my practice of a feed of tenders the day following the kill. If my area starts getting positive tests, I will reevaluate the risks at that time.

I would hope that members that have new information will post asap.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:29 PM

After 50 years of thousands of tick bites and consuming thousands of pounds
of wild meat, ducks, pheasants, grouse, deer, rabbits, squirels, wood cock.

Lymes disease and CWD and all the others...
I'm still here.

Turns out it has nothing to do with tags Covey Ridge.
It has all to do with the animal population for next year.

Blaintant burning or destroying a population upon spetctulation is STUPID.
and wrong.

Sometimes these things simply need time to work it out and it resolves itself.
Leave it alone.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Have Pronghorn Antelope been tested for CWD?
"In research facilities antelope and bighorn sheep have been confined in the same pens with CWD-afflicted deer and have not contracted the disease."
Chronic Wasting Disease - Western Hunter
http://www.westernhunter.com/Pages/V...sue04/cwd.html

This is an extremely informative podcast on the subject. Many of the questions from this thread are discussed in detail.

http://www.themeateater.com/podcasts...sting-disease/

Last edited by Gerv; 12-23-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerv View Post
"In research facilities antelope and bighorn sheep have been confined in the same pens with CWD-afflicted deer and have not contracted the disease."
Chronic Wasting Disease - Western Hunter
http://www.westernhunter.com/Pages/V...sue04/cwd.html

This is an extremely informative podcast on the subject. Many of the questions from this thread are discussed in detail.

http://www.themeateater.com/podcasts...sting-disease/
Considering one theory is that CWD started by keeping deer in the same pen with scrapie infected sheep in a lab in Colorado in the 60s. I'd take this with a grain of salt.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:02 PM

wow, just read the first and last page of this thread, some scary stuff.
It really makes me glad that when I started out in wild game processing I committed to keeping the clients animals completely separate all the time, including washing tables, knives, and other equipment between different animals.
it really ups the operating costs, but it seems to be what the clients (potential clients) want, just their own animal, no more, no less
Old 12-25-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flint&Fly Guy View Post
It really makes me glad that when I started out in wild game processing I committed to keeping the clients animals completely separate all the time, including washing tables, knives, and other equipment between different animals.
it really ups the operating costs, but it seems to be what the clients (potential clients) want, just their own animal, no more, no less
Conventional cleaning methods do not destroy prions.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:17 PM

Does anyone have any info on whether the animals are tested beyond the affected zones and how many/how often? Has anyone ever submitted a head from the northern parts of our province, for example? If it is as contagious as people here have said, if prions live as long as they do and are in urine, feces, carcasses, etc, I would bet my money on the fact that it is everywhere, obviously. So there is gotta be something different about it than people here are saying.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:22 AM

Default Cwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flint&Fly Guy View Post
Just about nothing kills prions.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfraser View Post
Just about nothing kills prions.
Thats not true. They can be destroyed by certain chemicals, its just the chemicals we use to clean/sterilize things against viruses and bacteria don't destroy prions.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:39 PM

Default Cwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
Thats not true. They can be destroyed by certain chemicals, its just the chemicals we use to clean/sterilize things against viruses and bacteria don't destroy prions.
I disagree.
Google:
The Challenge of Chronic Wasting Disease: Insidious and Dire
Old 12-26-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfraser View Post
I disagree.
Google:
The Challenge of Chronic Wasting Disease: Insidious and Dire

I mentioned this earlier in the thread.

Enzymatic digestion has shown an ability to degrade CWD prions.

There is research into the potential to "clean up" CWD infected soils.

What a Nature boggling endeavour this would be....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2885836/

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-26-2017, 11:28 PM

We're all going to die - that's a given. Thus far, despite all of the contacts with prions for many millions of humans that have been postulated in this thread, not one single human being has died, been ill, or even diagnosed with CWD.

There's a lot of things that can and do affect my health that I can do something about, - that get and deserve my attention. CWD does not.

In this day and age, it seems that people are always looking for reasons NOT to do things. And if you're worrying about walking through grass that a deer peed on, then maybe it's best you stayed safe in your home eating grocery store beef (that people HAVE died from) and watching TV!
Old 12-27-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
Conventional cleaning methods do not destroy prions.
Conventional cleaning methods DO result in a majorly reduced chance of cross-contamination though!
Old 12-28-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Just a question? Why on earth would you do Anything with the meat until you found out what your CWD results first.
3 weeks passed and I was emailed my results; I cannot hang a deer in my garage for 3 weeks.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:11 AM

Default Its been around forever

AHHH, CWD the biologists cash cow. and a means to the end of hunting. already can't take meat in to some butchers which will thin out the the numbers some. Now say the meat is risky to eat, thin the ranks some more. Tell the world that a monkey (a macaque) got CWD from game meat thins the ranks even more. Hunting no longer provides organic meat so no-one hunts anymore. No-one hunts anymore, Who needs firearms? no-one
which leads to the end of firearms ownership.
A bit long winded but a very plausible end
Old 12-30-2017, 11:20 AM

Lol

Old 12-30-2017, 02:04 PM

Well that's a theory... I guess
Old 03-14-2018, 01:48 PM

Default Where was this deer from?

Hi. Can you please tell me: Where was this deer from?