Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2017, 09:31 PM

Default Red Deer RCMP gun seizure

Saw a few stolen firearm posts on here...maybe check this out
Can't download link
Red Deer RCMP have seized about 29 stolen firearms...saw this posted on facebook
Old 12-11-2017, 09:37 PM
Banned

I think they said only eight had been id'd as stolen.......hopefully some of you will get your guns back!
Old 12-12-2017, 11:23 AM

http://rdnewsnow.com/article/564964/...red-deer-busts

Quote:
A man and woman are facing nearly 200 drug, weapons and stolen property charges after a pair of busts in Red Deer last month.

RCMP say the seizures resulted in the recovery of 29 guns, four crossbows, ammunition and stolen property including dirt bikes, identification and electronics.

According to police, the searches are part of a larger crime reduction strategy that focuses on identifying prolific offenders and conducting targeted, intelligence-driven investigations.

The first bust happened November 5 when Mounties searched a storage locker on 79 Street and seized 25 rifles, three shotguns, four crossbows and two pellet guns. Tools, bicycles, dirt bikes, chainsaws, a generator and electronics equipment were also seized with many of the items stored in a large hockey bag, sleeping bag, ski bag and gun cases.

So far, police have determined eight of the guns were reported stolen with one of the dirt bikes reported stolen out of Red Deer during a break and enter October 28. The other dirt bike was reported stolen out of Lacombe during a break-in November 1. RCMP are still investigating the other pieces of recovered property.

The second bust happened November 22 when officers searched a residence on 58 Avenue in Highland Green and seized a shotgun that was stored under a couch in the living room. A magazine from another gun, a replica firearm, large amounts of ammunition, methamphetamine and numerous other items including a laptop, Xbox and identification documents reported stolen in several recent residential break-ins were also recovered.

Andrew Scott Charpentier, 25, faces 100 charges and remains in custody for his next court appearance December 12.

Kelsey Pearl Torpe, 25, faces 98 counts and has court dates slated December 12 and 19.

Red Deer RCMP Superintendent Ken Foster says their commitment through Project Pinpoint and the Priority Crimes Task Force in the region is to help reduce crime significantly.

“The crime reduction model we’re using is targeted and evidence-based,” said Foster. “We’re deploying our resources strategically by focusing on the people, the locations and those issues that are causing the most problems in our community.”

Red Deer Mayor Tara Veer commends RCMP for the work they do in addressing the community’s top concern.

“Crime and public safety is the number one priority of our citizens and it is therefore the number one priority of the City of Red Deer,” said Veer. “This focus on prolific offenders, intelligence-driven analysis to identify repeat offenders, to focus on crime hot-spots and pursuing an evidence-based approach to policing has resulted in the types of charges that we have seen today.”

Foster stresses the importance of reporting all crimes to RCMP.

Property crimes are significant,” explains Foster. “Some people think, ‘Well, it’s just a theft from a shed or a theft from a vehicle’ but it all feeds this whole criminality activity and lifestyle and these firearms, they just get elevated up to higher-end criminals who are going out and doing armed robberies and home invasions and things like that. It’s significant, I’m glad these guns are off the street.”
Old 12-12-2017, 11:36 AM

I'm glad that people have the chance of getting their stolen property back, but I hate when the RCMP put a bunch of firearms on display, and in this case mostly scoped bolt action rifles, and claim that they're "getting guns off the streets".
Old 12-12-2017, 12:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I'm glad that people have the chance of getting their stolen property back, but I hate when the RCMP put a bunch of firearms on display, and in this case mostly scoped bolt action rifles, and claim that they're "getting guns off the streets".
What do you have a problem with?
They specifically say they are getting the guns involved off the street...they do not say 'all' guns.
So the are getting illegal guns that were quite likely going to be involve in crime off the street...I personally have no issue with that at all.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
What do you have a problem with?
They specifically say they are getting the guns involved off the street...they do not say 'all' guns.
So the are getting illegal guns that were quite likely going to be involve in crime off the street...I personally have no issue with that at all.
I mean that the RCMP are trying to make this sound like this is the type of firearm used in crime, rather than simple stolen property. You might think that these guns were going to be used in crime, I don't share that opinion.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I mean that the RCMP are trying to make this sound like this is the type of firearm used in crime, rather than simple stolen property. You might think that these guns were going to be used in crime, I don't share that opinion.

Yeah cause criminals only use stolen guns for legal purposes.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pullings View Post
Yeah cause criminals only use stolen guns for legal purposes.
Yeah, bolt actions, air guns, and cross bows are normally used by criminals.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ahhh, yes...the thieves just need new hunting gear.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I hate when the RCMP put a bunch of firearms on display, and in this case mostly scoped bolt action rifles, and claim that they're "getting guns off the streets".
Stolen scoped rifles in the possession of drug traffickers? I
m quite alright with that RCMP saying they are happy to get THESE guns off the street. You forgot "these" in your post.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:

So we are in agreement. Apology accepted.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes, bolt actions...like this guy
https://globalnews.ca/news/3783803/m...tiple-charges/

Hey...if you don't like the RCMP, just say so.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:45 PM

I think some people assume criminals only use submachine guns and sawed off shotguns.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
So we are in agreement. Apology accepted.
Probably the only criminal use of that type of stolen weapon is to be sold as stolen property.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Yes, bolt actions...like this guy
https://globalnews.ca/news/3783803/m...tiple-charges/

Hey...if you don't like the RCMP, just say so.
I don't like the RCMP, yet I have family both serving and retired from that force.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Probably the only criminal use of that type of stolen weapon is to be sold as stolen property.

Ok. I bow to your obvious expertise on the matter.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Ok. I bow to your obvious expertise on the matter.
No need for the sarcasm.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Sounds like the argument of a defense attorney. Yes they were committing crimes and yes they had stolen guns, but they weren't going to use them Your Honour.

Why the need to give criminals the benefit of the doubt Scott?

If we want to fend off those who would "solve" "gun crime" by a knee jerk banning of all guns, then we need to come down HARD on the real criminals who use guns in the commission of crimes or possess illegal guns. Give them 20 years right off the bat. THAT'S how you combat "Gun Crime". Make it so punitive that the crook would rather not use or carry, and leave firearms to the legal and honest.... us.

Last edited by Okotokian; 12-12-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
No need for the sarcasm.

I apologize but your assertion that criminals don’t use bolt actions is ludicrous. Yes smaller weapons are more desirable being easier to conceal and hide from law enforcement but these guys will use anything they can get their hands on. Even pellet guns.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Sounds like the argument of a defense attorney. Yes they were committing crimes and yes they had stolen guns, but they weren't going to use them Your Honour.

Why the need to give criminals the benefit of the doubt Scott?
The only point I was trying to make is that when ever firearms are recovered, not matter what they are.... Cooey 22s, airguns, cross bows, the RCMP try to make it look like they like they have really taken a big chunk out of gun crime. You know... like High River. Of course the media is more than happy to play the game...."cache of ammo seized", "arsenal of weapons" taken off the street. No wonder the uninformed general public is scared of guns.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that these scumbags are off the street, no doubt probably to be right back out, but those guns were likely only to be sold, not used in other crimes.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I apologize but your assertion that criminals don’t use bolt actions is ludicrous. Yes smaller weapons are more desirable being easier to conceal and hide from law enforcement but these guys will use anything they can get their hands on. Even pellet guns.
Lets face it, it's not the choice of criminals. Could they be used in crime? Of course. Will they be? Maybe, but I'd be more worried about the smuggled guns being brought in across the border.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:01 PM

In many cases, I believe that the media adds and changes words to get more attention to the articles, so unless the statements are direct quotes, what the media posts, may not at all be what the RCMP told them.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lets face it, it's not the choice of criminals. Could they be used in crime? Of course. Will they be? Maybe, but I'd be more worried about the smuggled guns being brought in across the border.
Still can't admit you're wrong...close, but not quite
Old 12-12-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Still can't admit you're wrong...close, but not quite
Yes, I admit that I am wrong. As a matter of fact, someone just robbed the bank up the street with a stolen cross bow.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Damned if they do, damned if they don't, eh?

29 guns. 4 crossbows. That's what they got. Pretty good haul for two people, no? They did, in fact, get guns off the street.

Remember, this is in Red Deer - don't see them big busts too often in the big cities. I think they'd be happy if you just said thank you, and carried on your day.

Cheers
Old 12-12-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
In many cases, I believe that the media adds and changes words to get more attention to the articles, so unless the statements are direct quotes, what the media posts, may not at all be what the RCMP told them.
Except in this case, eh? Where they have quotes, pictures and a huge bust to report on!
Old 12-12-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Damned if they do, damned if they don't, eh?

29 guns. 4 crossbows. That's what they got. Pretty good haul for two people, no? They did, in fact, get guns off the street.

Remember, this is in Red Deer - don't see them big busts too often in the big cities. I think they'd be happy if you just said thank you, and carried on your day.

Cheers
You are right sir, and I am happy that these people are off the street. I can live without the propaganda and the pictures of table full of stolen property though, and the self congratulations and pats on the back from the RCMP as if this was doing something towards "gun crime", and not just simple stolen property.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:39 PM
Banned

Its propaganda. I agree with Scott. Yes, they are doing their job, but they are overinflating the importance of the seizure. It is a simple fact, bolt actions are not a weapon of choice for the common criminal. We do not have an "illegal bolt action" problem.

Keep in mind, soon they will claim to have "removed x-amount of high-capacity prohibited rifle magazines from being a danger to the public". They will be 10/22 magazines.

Unfortunately, it is all about appeasing the public.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Unfortunately, it is all about appeasing the public.
That and further vilifying guns and law abiding gun owners.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
It is a simple fact, bolt actions are not a weapon of choice for the common criminal. .
Point is they were the weapons of choice for these criminals. And photos of weapons seized in drug raids routinely contain bolt action rifles. You and I have both seen them, along with stolen handguns, home made firearms, etc (note the new Sask zip gun thread) And no one is saying there is "bolt action weapon problem". You are the only person referring to that. Take it for what it is... the cops did good and are doing a little bragging. Getting THOSE weapons out of their hands is a good thing. I'm OK as long as the story is factual (ie not calling everything an "assault rifle"). I don't think it hurts our cause to admit that criminals possess and use firearms. I think we have to deal with reality.

Last edited by Okotokian; 12-12-2017 at 05:08 PM.