Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2016, 03:56 PM
Banned

Default Old school Handy cam dilemma

So I have a small issue with some old school technology and being I'm still old school myself I'm not up to date on today's gadgets and gizmos. I went down to pick up some good old 8mm video tapes for my Sony camcorder only to realize they don't make them anymore. I don't really want to buy a new video recorder and the one I have works just fine except for its out of date and obsolete. Being I paid $1500 for it and seems not so long ago I'm considering my options. I can still buy 8mm tapes online and I'm wondering about the memory card option. It also takes the Sony magic gate memory sticks, which I still have one that's only 64mb and I can record short videos up to ten minutes at a time, which is fine with me. Can I purchase a memory stick big enough that will record video that I can transfer to my computer ? Or buy some type of plug in hard drive for it that I can record a bunch of video on ?
Old 04-13-2016, 04:03 PM

Uhh...no disrespect, but why are you bothering?

Any smart phone will record in 1080 HD, much MUCH clearer than your Sony cam, and it's free media. (Phones internal memory, then backed up onto your computer, or cloud storage). Fits in your pocket and with you wherever you go. You can record for an hour if you like.

You can do all editing online. You can share with your friends, family at the click of a button.

I don't know why you would want to deal with analog tape.

Last edited by Clgy_Dave2.0; 04-13-2016 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
Uhh...no disrespect, but why are you bothering?

Any smart phone will record in 1080 HD, much MUCH clearer than your Sony cam, and it's free media. (Phones internal memory, then backed up onto your computer, or cloud storage). Fits in your pocket and with you wherever you go. You can record for an hour if you like.

You can do all editing online. You can share with your friends, family at the click of a button.

I don't know why you would want to deal with analog tape.
I prefer video recorder, I guess it's just preference and it kind of makes me angry after spending lots of $$$ on something only 7 years ago and now it's pretty much garbage. Guess I should of stalked up on tapes. I'll buy a new one reluctantly...
Old 04-13-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I prefer video recorder, I guess it's just preference and it kind of makes me angry after spending lots of $$$ on something only 7 years ago and now it's pretty much garbage. Guess I should of stalked up on tapes. I'll buy a new one reluctantly...
Suit yerself...

You're missing out on a whole lot though. This is from a two year old Galaxy S5. Not even the current smartphone:
HD Video

And I can share it with family all over the globe at the click of a button. They can play it on a TV, computer, tablet, their phone...
Old 04-13-2016, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
Suit yerself...

You're missing out on a whole lot though. This is from a two year old Galaxy S5. Not even the current smartphone:
HD Video

And I can share it with family all over the globe at the click of a button. They can play it on a TV, computer, tablet, their phone...
No zoom or night vision. I'm looking on the Costco web sight right now, pretty reasonable prices on what features I'm looking for.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:12 PM

I'm not up to date on the latest smartphones, but from comments on this thread, the new phones can zoom in as good as the $1500 Sony? and it can do night vision as well as the $1500 Sony? It would be nice if the "smart" phones could teach people how to use those features, because it seems a large number of people do not know how to get nice pictures from their smartphones and videos onto their TV's for the rest of us to see, especially the ones of something that were way off in the distance or in very dark settings. I feel for the old school guys.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:32 PM
Banned

When I actually sit down and focus on something I can usually master it better than most and have proven it time and again. It's a matter of preference I guess, speaking of old school I still have the iPhone 3G and it still works just fine monthly bill average $25 I can't give a positive review of the zoom app on my 3G but the reception is spectacular
Old 04-14-2016, 07:32 PM

I might have some 8mm tapes. I will look and PM you.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:11 PM

London Drugs use to stock some of the older tapes. I haven't looked for a couple of years though.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Love-Eyes View Post
I might have some 8mm tapes. I will look and PM you.
I will buy them if you have some. I looked every where locally and couldn't find them any where except for online. I'm looking at a new one from Costco but I still like my old one, if anything I can still use it on occasion and it will kind of make me feel like I didn't burn my money. This is the one I'm looking at:

http://www.costco.ca/Sony-HDRAZ1VR-1...100215742.html

It's small and has a wrist cam for viewing, the best feature I like is the Steadyshot so I can mount it on my mountain bike and still get good video quality. It also comes with a couple different mounts and water proof case.