Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohn87 View Post
Yes. I just feel like to be considered in “the best” category, you have to win a Championship. And whereas they are great Hockey players, if they never reach that pinnacle milestone, I don’t think “best” would be a suitable title.
Last I checked those two have a few years left in them to meet your criteria. OV has been the best goal scorer in the league for years. Well before he ever won a cup. Winning a championship is a Team effort. Being the best player is an individual accomplishment.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
So Crosby entered the League in 2005 and won his first cup in 2009. in the 2006/07 season he had 120 points. So who was the best player in the league in 2007?
If you look at individual seasons, I think you can easily have the "best player" not win a championship. If you extend it over a career, all who would typically be considered, "the best", have a championship, in most cases, multiple championships, like four or five. Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Jordon, James, Rice, Brady, Montana, Schumacher, Nicklaus, Woods, etc. I considered a part of being the best is knowing how to win, not just being good. So while I consider McDavid, in all likelihood, the best player in the world right now, by no means would I consider him among the greats.

That being said, at 23, besides this post, I'm not generally thinking about these things as he's hopefully just getting started.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Would you consider Dan Marino one of the best Quarterbacks ever, even tho he never won a Championship?

Absolutely. Anyone who wouldn't is smoking the drapes.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
If you look at individual seasons, I think you can easily have the "best player" not win a championship. If you extend it over a career, all who would typically be considered, "the best", have a championship, in most cases, multiple championships, like four or five. Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Jordon, James, Rice, Brady, Montana, Schumacher, Nicklaus, Woods, etc. I considered a part of being the best is knowing how to win, not just being good. So while I consider McDavid, in all likelihood, the best player in the world right now, by no means would I consider him among the greats.

That being said, at 23, besides this post, I'm not generally thinking about these things as he's hopefully just getting started.
I am not sure about everybody, but I have not added Crosby or McDavid to the same status as Gretzky, Orr, or Howe.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:05 AM

Quote:
I am not sure about everybody, but I have not added Crosby or McDavid to the same status as Gretzky, Orr, or Howe.
Honest question.
How do you think Crosby or mcdavid would do if all of a sudden they time travelled back to the Bobby Orr era?
Or vice versa?
Myself, I would definitely put them in the same status, or greater, talent wise.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Honest question.
How do you think Crosby or mcdavid would do if all of a sudden they time travelled back to the Bobby Orr era?
Or vice versa?
Myself, I would definitely put them in the same status, or greater, talent wise.
If we plucked them right now with the same equipment, they'd be absolutely phenomenal! If we put them in when they were 15, and had the same hours, training, equipment, social environment, etc. as everybody else, I think they'd be equivalent as they are to their current peers. Think Leon scores 10 if he uses the same stick as Orr?
Old 02-26-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
If we plucked them right now with the same equipment, they'd be absolutely phenomenal! If we put them in when they were 15, and had the same hours, training, equipment, social environment, etc. as everybody else, I think they'd be equivalent as they are to their current peers. Think Leon scores 10 if he uses the same stick as Orr?
That’s what I’m saying. Everything from conditioning, nutrition, equipment, and larger pool of athletes makes it way higher caliber game today. It’s basically uncomparable.
Like putting a model T up against a corvette.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:05 AM

Also, with fewer teams and players, your odds of accomplishing individual and team feats are drastically increased.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:14 AM

Lol one more thing...
Back in the day athletes in hockey were almost exclusively from Canada and the upper Midwest. Almost.
Today a hockey player can be from almost anywhere around the globe.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:11 AM

It is virtually impossible to try and compare who is better as the components of the game are so drastically different from then to now. Equipment, training, nutrition, even the quality of the ice they played on is so drastically different. This is a conversation that will never be resolved but sure is fun to think about.

BH

Old 02-26-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodHound70 View Post
It is virtually impossible to try and compare who is better as the components of the game are so drastically different from then to now. Equipment, training, nutrition, even the quality of the ice they played on is so drastically different. This is a conversation that will never be resolved but sure is fun to think about.

BH
Yup.
Not to mention the goalies nowadays are all 6’5”.... lol
Old 02-26-2020, 08:18 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Yup.
Not to mention the goalies nowadays are all 6’5”.... lol
6' 5" tall and 5'6" wide now a days
Old 02-26-2020, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
So Crosby entered the League in 2005 and won his first cup in 2009. in the 2006/07 season he had 120 points. So who was the best player in the league in 2007?
The Penguins were contenders before they won, the Oilers are not considered a Contender and haven’t been for sometime and will not be for awhile longer yet. Call the team whatever you want for this conversation, Hamilton Bulldogs, without Mcdavid and Draisaitl holding the team together night in and night out, they would most likely be last in the league.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
The Penguins were contenders before they won, the Oilers are not considered a Contender and haven’t been for sometime and will not be for awhile longer yet. Call the team whatever you want for this conversation, Hamilton Bulldogs, without Mcdavid and Draisaitl holding the team together night in and night out, they would most likely be last in the league.
Same could be said about Crosby and Malkin. Just because McDavid and Drisital are superstar players does not mean everyone else on the team sucks and is AHL quality at best. McDavid and Drisital are Oilers and that is a hard pill to swallow for fans of other teams.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
Same could be said about Crosby and Malkin. Just because McDavid and Drisital are superstar players does not mean everyone else on the team sucks and is AHL quality at best. McDavid and Drisital are Oilers and that is a hard pill to swallow for fans of other teams.
It would be a hard pill to swallow if they were a hard team to get a W against.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I think Leon scores 50 same as last year. Their is and always has been special players in this league and any other. What sets them apart is their ability to separate themselves from their peers. Every NHL player can buy the same skates as McDavid. Every Player can buy the same stick as Ovi. But it does not mean they will have the same result.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I think Leon scores 50 same as last year. Their is and always has been special players in this league and any other. What sets them apart is their ability to separate themselves from their peers. Every NHL player can buy the same skates as McDavid. Every Player can buy the same stick as Ovi. But it does not mean they will have the same result.
We were talking about current players playing in the past and current players using past equipment. Had nothing to do with current players using current equipment.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
It would be a hard pill to swallow if they were a hard team to get a W against.

And yet they have the same number of wins and 3 fewer losses than your team. Ever think about putting your cranium in gear b4 letting your foot off the clutch?
Old 02-26-2020, 08:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
And yet they have the same number of wins and 3 fewer losses than your team. Ever think about putting your cranium in gear b4 letting your foot off the clutch?
I have been very open about the poor season the Flames have had.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I have been very open about the poor season the Flames have had.
I love it when people criticize others in their posts and then fail themselves to get the basic facts right. It's true though, if the Oilers are having such a great season, they wouldn't be continually compared to the Flames.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
I love it when people criticize others in their posts and then fail themselves to get the basic facts right. It's true though, if the Oilers are having such a great season, they wouldn't be continually compared to the Flames.
I wonder if it has anything to do with them both being Alberta teams.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:14 PM
Banned

Big game......HUGE! Oilers down by one after one but they came out playing unlike last game. I like their play so far.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
We were talking about current players playing in the past and current players using past equipment. Had nothing to do with current players using current equipment.
I’m aware of that but thanks for trying to point it out. If you put Drisital back in the 70’s with a wooden 2X4 he would still rack up a pile of points. He is a gifted player same as McDavid, Crosby, Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, Richard..... You don’t score 50 goals in a season and put up back to back 100pt seasons in todays NHL cause your average.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I’m aware of that but thanks for trying to point it out. If you put Drisital back in the 70’s with a wooden 2X4 he would still rack up a pile of points. He is a gifted player same as McDavid, Crosby, Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, Richard..... You don’t score 50 goals in a season and put up back to back 100pt seasons in todays NHL cause your average.
Yes, I know, and stated as such. So you're saying you think Leon would still score 50 in todays game playing with Orrs stick. We'll never know, but I think that's crazy!
Old 02-26-2020, 09:40 PM

Lagassen looks shakey out there. Is Benning hurt?
Old 02-26-2020, 09:51 PM

Should be a quick intermission since they only need to flood the Oilers end of the ice. Other end is barely touched.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:03 PM

Surprised were only down by one after that performance.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Should be a quick intermission since they only need to flood the Oilers end of the ice. Other end is barely touched.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Yes, I know, and stated as such. So you're saying you think Leon would still score 50 in todays game playing with Orrs stick. We'll never know, but I think that's crazy!
Think Orr would have the points he had if the goalies wore today’s equipment?
Old 02-26-2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Think Orr would have the points he had if the goalies wore today’s equipment?
A negatory there Red Rider.