Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2013, 03:25 PM

Default Hutterite colony

Looking for colony contacts numbers. There was a post last year with all the numbers but can't find it and lost my contact. Does anyone have this list? Thanx
Old 10-18-2013, 03:35 PM

Try this

http://www.hutterites.org/directory/

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 10-18-2013, 04:23 PM

I'll try that. Thanx
Old 10-18-2013, 05:39 PM

Which colony, where are you located.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
That's a good address to know Thankyou for posting.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:59 PM

I'm surprised by the number of colonies listed there, I wonder what the average number of people is per colony.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:14 PM

Thanx I got the contact!!
Old 10-18-2013, 07:16 PM

Default Hutterites

The colonies I work with seem to split aster about 125 people.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:16 PM

I am looking through the site and thinking .. I thought The Hutterites could not have their photos taken , wasn't there a big controversy a while back about having their pictures on their Alberta drivers licence? sorry for the derail .
Old 10-18-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I'm surprised by the number of colonies listed there, I wonder what the average number of people is per colony.
I know there are 77 people in the Smoky Lake Colony.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:37 PM
Gone Hunting

For contact information; The Hutterite directory.

http://www.cedrontech.com/hutterite.aspx?idx=AB

For general information.

http://www.hutterites.org/directory/

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-19-2013, 05:20 AM

Love going to the Scottford one North of Ft. Sask. Freindly and good prices for eggs and chickens. Good veggies too. Have to buy 15 doz eggs at a time, so bring a freind or two that will split with you.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Let me know if you ever want to visit some colonies. I have kitchen equipment installs at about 20 colonies in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
As a plumber you would probably enjoy Clear Lake Colony with the Water Bottling Plant.
David Waldner and his brother Paul are the MacGyvers of the Hutterite world- Nothing they can't do or build.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:04 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Love going to the Scottford one North of Ft. Sask. Freindly and good prices for eggs and chickens. Good veggies too. Have to buy 15 doz eggs at a time, so bring a freind or two that will split with you.
Up here the Cleardale colony sell chickens, honey, pies, even quilts, in the surrounding towns, including Manning.

Great people to deal with, great products and GREAT prices!

I think the Twin Rivers Colony is getting into selling produce locally but I have not dealt with them. Good people though. The times I have talked to any of them, I was impressed with how neighborly they are.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-19-2013, 10:20 AM

Twin Rivers was selling at the Manning Farmer's Market all season long. Keg purchased 4 buckets of Saskatoons from them since we could not find any decent quantities to pick.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I am looking through the site and thinking .. I thought The Hutterites could not have their photos taken , wasn't there a big controversy a while back about having their pictures on their Alberta drivers licence? sorry for the derail .
How many different varieties of Lutheran or Reformed Churches are there? Point is there are three different groups within in the Hutterite world. Some are a little more conservative and shy away from camera's, cell phones, and other worldly stuff. Interesting folks and culture.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
How many different varieties of Lutheran or Reformed Churches are there? Point is there are three different groups within in the Hutterite world. Some are a little more conservative and shy away from camera's, cell phones, and other worldly stuff. Interesting folks and culture.
Yes you're right I never thought of that. I was not trying to stir things up by the way , it was just an honest question.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
That was 2 sister colonies here in Southern Alberta. Most of the other Colonies refused to support them in that court case.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:20 PM

Wow thats a long list. Probably 12-15000 acres per colony and they are buying every scrap of land they can get their hands on...there goes the neighborhood
Old 10-25-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleecat View Post
Wow thats a long list. Probably 12-15000 acres per colony and they are buying every scrap of land they can get their hands on...there goes the neighborhood
Nice.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-25-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleecat View Post
The good ol Social Credit party use to restrict colony size to 6400 acres and not allow hutts to buy land within 60 km from an existing colony. I think they were on to something. We have land right beside them and they are good people but don't really contribute much to the economy of the rest of us living in rural areas. What bothers me among other things is the government shuts down schools in our small towns but will still fund schools on the Colony with less students.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Up here the Cleardale colony sell chickens, honey, pies, even quilts, in the surrounding towns, including Manning.

Great people to deal with, great products and GREAT prices!

I think the Twin Rivers Colony is getting into selling produce locally but I have not dealt with them. Good people though. The times I have talked to any of them, I was impressed with how neighborly they are.
Agree about the Cleardale Colony, good folks to deal with over many years of staying nearby close to Worsley.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:03 PM

Marwayne colony has great products too, my dad had bought some water troughs, feeders, bale holders, great welding. Don't know if they still do, but we are talking 15-20 years ago and still using them, they even delivered back then.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
The good ol Social Credit party use to restrict colony size to 6400 acres and not allow hutts to buy land within 60 km from an existing colony. I think they were on to something. We have land right beside them and they are good people but don't really contribute much to the economy of the rest of us living in rural areas. What bothers me among other things is the government shuts down schools in our small towns but will still fund schools on the Colony with less students.
If you drive north of Bassano you'll run into 5 or 6 colonies one after the next.
One thing that bothers me is these colonies would have annual farm reciepts in the tens of millions of dollars and the pay very little tax according to some. The way they snap up land for 25% over market value it makes sense
Old 10-26-2013, 08:52 AM

Default joke

How did the hutterite find his sister in the tall grass ?

NOT BAAAAD !
Old 11-17-2013, 09:12 PM

Default Hutterites

Maybe if we all worked together we could be more
Like the Hutterites!!!
Old 11-17-2013, 09:35 PM

A good friend of mine belongs to the Pincher Creek Colony, his father and my father go back many years , great guy and I will tell ya he can build furniture, amazing craftsmanship. No partiical board crap. He is so generous to me. Just bring him beer and he is happy happy happy.

He lost his leg in a grain auger but you would never know it. They always ask me in for lunch but I never take the offer

Always leave there with lots of Freebees. And I always leave beer. Can't go wrong with that.

Just ask for Rueban and he will take ya for a free guided tour on the colony on his side by side for free if ya got beer. Its very interesting

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com

Last edited by honda450; 11-17-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:10 PM

They definitely can have their pictures taken.
I have the 2013 Hutter girl calendar, ha.

We were hunting 522 a few years back and got a room at the Wanham Inn.
Any time we went to our vehicle the local colony folks had a van in the parking lot selling pies and blankets etc.
Kinda hard to walk on by when you are the only other vehicle there, ha.
Pies were stacked in 5 gal pails squashed up quite a bit, but we bought the top few.
Nice folks too, and pointer us out to where we could try for our Mulie does.

TBark
Old 11-17-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racooneyes View Post
Maybe if we all worked together we could be more
Like the Hutterites!!!
This is an excellent idea, I get to be the one in charge. Now I just need 15 guys who will do whatever I say and all you get is a place to live and food. Once we have too many people, one of you can branch out, do the same and funnel most of the money you make back to me where I can become the central bank. Always someone getting rich at the top, don't kid yourself.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCL View Post
This is an excellent idea, I get to be the one in charge. Now I just need 15 guys who will do whatever I say and all you get is a place to live and food. Once we have too many people, one of you can branch out, do the same and funnel most of the money you make back to me where I can become the central bank. Always someone getting rich at the top, don't kid yourself.
And 15 women who won't need to waste brain cells forming an opinion for the rest of their life.