Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-15-2022, 09:20 PM

Default Headed to Campbell River, any recommendations on a fly line?

I'm headed to Campbell River for the first time in a couple weeks and I can't decide what fly line to use. I know I need a sink tip, and I'm leaning towards AirFlo big game 300 grain. Just wondering what other people like to use? My rod is an 9' 8wt.

First time going after salmon with a fly rod so any tips are greatly appreciated!
Old 07-16-2022, 11:09 AM

Where are you planning on fishing? Ocean or river? I'm not a line expert but can give you an idea on depths and speed of water in some places

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 07-16-2022, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
Where are you planning on fishing? Ocean or river? I'm not a line expert but can give you an idea on depths and speed of water in some places
Probably primarily river. Camping at Elk Falls campground, so I've got Campbell and the Quinsam right there. I'm willing to go wherever the fish are though. I am taking a saltwater rod with me, so I imagine I'll toss a line in the ocean at some point. Chinook's opened for retention today, so probably targeting them and coho.
Old 07-16-2022, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Wright View Post
Probably primarily river. Camping at Elk Falls campground, so I've got Campbell and the Quinsam right there. I'm willing to go wherever the fish are though. I am taking a saltwater rod with me, so I imagine I'll toss a line in the ocean at some point. Chinook's opened for retention today, so probably targeting them and coho.

Ok sweet had a buddy hit the saltwater with downriggers today and said the Chinook are hitting like crazy.
Campbell River is the faster and deeper of the 2 you specified at maybe 10feet in the big holes but neither are overly deep and fast. I used to fish the shallower pools of the Campbell with just a weighted fly and a full floating line. The quinsam doesn't need much as it's slower and shallower just a slow to med sink tip will keep you on the bottom with no problem at all. The oyster nearby will be very similar to these 2 rivers so your line will be great there as well.
Haven't done much Chinook or coho on the fly but worked at the local fly shop and sold many flies to guys doing so. Minimalist chartreuse and sky blue streamers sized 4-10 tied with bucktail or polar bear hair were quite popular.

Old 07-17-2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Ok sweet had a buddy hit the saltwater with downriggers today and said the Chinook are hitting like crazy.
Campbell River is the faster and deeper of the 2 you specified at maybe 10feet in the big holes but neither are overly deep and fast. I used to fish the shallower pools of the Campbell with just a weighted fly and a full floating line. The quinsam doesn't need much as it's slower and shallower just a slow to med sink tip will keep you on the bottom with no problem at all. The oyster nearby will be very similar to these 2 rivers so your line will be great there as well.
Haven't done much Chinook or coho on the fly but worked at the local fly shop and sold many flies to guys doing so. Minimalist chartreuse and sky blue streamers sized 4-10 tied with bucktail or polar bear hair were quite popular.
Thank you! That's some great insight into the area. I was wondering about the river depths, that helps me out hugely. It sounds like I should be good with the line I've got, unless I get into the ocean.

Awesome to hear the Chinook's are biting! I've done the coho thing out of Prince Rupert and that was fun. But a big tyee on the fly would be amazing.

Thanks for the tips on the flies too! Very helpful because right now I'm more set up for up north. Lots of black and white bucktails and skullheads.
Old 07-17-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Wright View Post
Thank you! That's some great insight into the area. I was wondering about the river depths, that helps me out hugely. It sounds like I should be good with the line I've got, unless I get into the ocean.

Awesome to hear the Chinook's are biting! I've done the coho thing out of Prince Rupert and that was fun. But a big tyee on the fly would be amazing.

Thanks for the tips on the flies too! Very helpful because right now I'm more set up for up north. Lots of black and white bucktails and skullheads.
Yea if you'd like to pm me with a phone number I think I have some of the old coho flies I tied for a guy and can send you a pic. Not sure where I'd go for Chinook but I know guys used to hit the beach by the oyster for coho at the right times

Old 07-17-2022, 01:09 PM

Pinks will be running strong by the time your there. Floating line with a weighted tip right in front of River Sportsman will put you in fish. There’s a slight chance of catching a coho or spring but it’s not likely right now.

Pinks will bite but I’d bet 95% of the fish caught are flossed. Fish are all pointing up river and your fly is drifting down with the current so it’s inevitable. You’ll see most are hooked on the outside of the mouth.

Some good sea-run Cutthroat trout in there too. They tend to follow the pinks in.
Old 07-17-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Pinks will be running strong by the time your there. Floating line with a weighted tip right in front of River Sportsman will put you in fish. There’s a slight chance of catching a coho or spring but it’s not likely right now.

Pinks will bite but I’d bet 95% of the fish caught are flossed. Fish are all pointing up river and your fly is drifting down with the current so it’s inevitable. You’ll see most are hooked on the outside of the mouth.

Some good sea-run Cutthroat trout in there too. They tend to follow the pinks in.
This sums it up well. You are too early to get a chance at a coho. Chinook are spotty at best...never know though. Campbell would get my vote. But get there early. It can be shoulder to shoulder by mid-morning.
Old 07-17-2022, 03:40 PM

There are a couple of fly shops in Campbell river , Tyee Marine and River Sportsman. I’m sure you could get some good info from them.
Old 07-17-2022, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
There are a couple of fly shops in Campbell river , Tyee Marine and River Sportsman. I’m sure you could get some good info from them.
Having worked at tyee marine for a few years I highly recommend River sportsman as the place to go to for information

Old 07-17-2022, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Having worked at tyee marine for a few years I highly recommend River sportsman as the place to go to for information
I’m dating myself, but Tyee was never the same after the grocers bought it. Old Tyee with Walter, Diane and Al was a great store.

But, they don’t call River Sportsman - River Ripoff for no reason. It’s by far a nicer store but you quite often pay more for the privilege of shopping in there.
Old 07-17-2022, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I’m dating myself, but Tyee was never the same after the grocers bought it. Old Tyee with Walter, Diane and Al was a great store.

But, they don’t call River Sportsman - River Ripoff for no reason. It’s by far a nicer store but you quite often pay more for the privilege of shopping in there.
I never remember much before the current owners. I can say for certian that I will never again go to tyee for information.
The amount of things I was told to say or advice that was given by other guys at the store is shocking to say the least. I buy gear at tyee but I get real information or advice from River sportsman if it's needed.