Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-26-2015, 11:41 PM

Default Anyone Fishing Athabasca River

Im thinking of bringing the JetBoat out and target some Athabasca Walleye.Ive never run this river before any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Im gonna be running a 17 foot custom cab foreward flat bottom with a 80 at the pump Jet.Thanks all
Old 08-27-2015, 01:20 AM

They like to hang out at current breaks where fast water zips past slow water they will be right on that break slightly in the fast water most of the time. Fish in the portion of the river that allows bait for your best chances.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:13 AM

Not sure what area of the river your fishing, but any creek mouths are worth checking out, and find current breaks and back eddys off points, or even sand bars that have deep pockets in front.

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 08-27-2015, 06:33 PM

What part of the Athabasca are you fishing?
Old 08-27-2015, 08:46 PM

Put the boat in at Blue Ridge last weekend, water was pretty low, lots of log jams. Pike fishing was good, caught 2 in the 20 pound range
Old 08-27-2015, 09:45 PM

I know this sounds stupid.. But my friend fishes the Athabasca for walleye every September and does very well. He always uses crankbaits and he swears by the Cotton Cordell wally diver in silver as well as "clown". Also white crank baits with pink highlights work very well. If you purchase crankbaits that dive deep and hit the bottom, you'll catch more fish. But also lose a couple more lures. I'm going to potentially get out this year with the flyrod and see what damage I can do. Good luck man
Old 08-27-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
I know this sounds stupid.. But my friend fishes the Athabasca for walleye every September and does very well. He always uses crankbaits and he swears by the Cotton Cordell wally diver in silver as well as "clown". Also white crank baits with pink highlights work very well. If you purchase crankbaits that dive deep and hit the bottom, you'll catch more fish. But also lose a couple more lures. I'm going to potentially get out this year with the flyrod and see what damage I can do. Good luck man
In the fall crankbaits are our main lures where I fish on the Athabasca.
Jet boat accessible only however.
I think Positrac fishes the same holes as I do!
Cat
Old 08-28-2015, 07:45 AM

From just over a week ago. A little over 29 inches.

We're hoping for a bigger one tomorrow.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
From just over a week ago. A little over 29 inches.

We're hoping for a bigger one tomorrow.

Yup, dat's da place!!!
You need a new hat , Bro!
However, the double 'stache you're rockin' these days is quite stylish !
Cat
Old 08-28-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Yup, dat's da place!!!
You need a new hat , Bro!
However, the double 'stache you're rockin' these days is quite stylish !
Cat
It's pretty recognizable for anyone who has been there before. But, if you recognize it then you probably already know how good the fishing is.

It's also a little fun getting there right now with the lower water.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
It's pretty recognizable for anyone who has been there before. But, if you recognize it then you probably already know how good the fishing is.

It's also a little fun getting there right now with the lower water.
Oh, yeah, some years are worse than others for sure!
"Double Time" is still down south right now, I may not be able to hit the river for another week until I can find room to park it!
Cat
Old 08-30-2015, 08:50 PM

We spent yesterday parked in the "spot" and the fishing for Pike, Walleye and Goldeye was unbelievable.

We thought it would be fun to keep count of the fish we landed. 75 for me and 60 for my partner. Pretty amazing when you think about it considering we stayed in the same location. We didn't count long line releases but only the ones we pulled the hooks out of. A couple times the fishing would slow down for a bit then another push of fish would come through and it would be back on!

The biggest Walleye was 25" with lots in the 19 - 22 inch range.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:19 AM

That's awesome! I was up yesterday, not as far as you go, fishing was slow for us. Mostly Goldeye, only a few small walleye. Managed to make it all the way up to the Mnt. Rapids and back no problem only to smack a rock hard once back in the Clearwater.. Took a chunk out of my intake housing.. Good thing for insurance, but puts a damper on my fall season...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (45.8 KB, 215 views)

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

Old 08-31-2015, 10:56 AM

The best and biggest fish I have ever caught have come out of the Athabasca river. Not sure were your heading to but all the info your getting is good.But the power of a 'Pumkin seed gulp jig" is amazing it usually out fishes fozzen minnows.The later in the fall you wait,the bigger and better the fishing get. do your self and your crew a big favor and go get some giants
Red Neck Out
:
Old 09-01-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK Angler View Post
That's awesome! I was up yesterday, not as far as you go, fishing was slow for us. Mostly Goldeye, only a few small walleye. Managed to make it all the way up to the Mnt. Rapids and back no problem only to smack a rock hard once back in the Clearwater.. Took a chunk out of my intake housing.. Good thing for insurance, but puts a damper on my fall season...
Ouch! That's a good smack.

I ordered a new intake for my 115 from Formula earlier this year for $350.

I just got back from spending the night in the boat anchored in the "spot". I had a Pike up to the boat yesterday evening that would be pushing 15 lbs. Chomped right through the 20 lb leader I was using and away he went. I couldn't seam to break the 25" mark for Walleye, but I did get three that size that could have been triplets. Lots more Walleye, Goldeye and a few Pike up to about six pounds.

Water flow is pretty low so I wouldn't try and make it any farther than you went. I've got a tunnel on the back of my Explorer so the skid plate usually hits before my intake. Lots of places you are running in less than a foot of water. Some of the falls also have rocks at the bottom of them which are hard to see on the way back down. Marking them with the GPS on the way up is the only way to avoid them on the way down.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:32 PM

Looking forward to a weekend of fishing on the Athabasca. The big guys should be showing up in the "spot".
Old 10-07-2015, 06:46 PM

Can't beat river fishing in the fall. No matter where in Alberta.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:31 PM

Default The Spot

Wow I've often wondered if the spot is still as good as it was before I left the Fort 10 years ago. Looks like it is. Good luck I hope to get back there one of these years.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:49 PM

Good luck! I'm going up north Saturday

Old 10-08-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Ahh, come on buddy, follow us up...I'll give you a tow back.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I may end up that way also. Water up river is pretty skinny right now and I've beat my boat up enough this year.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I may end up that way also. Water up river is pretty skinny right now and I've beat my boat up enough this year.
Had a friend go up to your hole last week Wednesday with out issue. If you end up north you know where to find me.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Had a friend go up to your hole last week Wednesday with out issue. If you end up north you know where to find me.

How did he do? I'm hoping that this fall fishing lives up to the hype?

What time are you guys heading out?
Old 10-09-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
How did he do? I'm hoping that this fall fishing lives up to the hype?

What time are you guys heading out?
The guys I know that went up was more for the site seeing, saw they caught a couple walleye but nothing worth bragging about.

I'll msg you later tonight when I know what time we're going out tomorrow. Won't be to early, usually we start around noon and fish till dark.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Ive broke two of those, they are only 400$ to replace. not sure why you would need insurance?
Old 10-09-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
Ive broke two of those, they are only 400$ to replace. not sure why you would need insurance?

First timer, made the mistake of pricing out Mercury parts and was looking at over $1000, got pointed in the right direction from a fellow AO member, cost me $500 after tax and freight ordering parts.