Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-04-2009, 10:18 AM

Smile nautilus floater

Currently, it is on sale in Canadian Tire, I cannot see the brand name clearly, but pretty sure it is nautilus, just wondering if it is a good suit to buy for ice fishing?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2009, 01:14 PM

Default suit

The problem with nautilus, mustang and the like, are that they become stiff when very cold out. I picked up a "arctic armor" suit. Its a seperate bib and jacket system that is super warm. Reinforced areas ect. It is so thin and flexible u could play a round of golf wearing it....very comfortable.

The main benefit is that it is also a floating suit. Here is a link to the manufacturer:

http://www.idigear.com/arcticarmor.php

There are some good videos that show the flotation. I got mine a few years ago thru a dealer in Stettler (only ones at the time close to Calgary) paid about $300 back then.

I would never spend several houndred dollars on a ice fishing suit without the benefits of it floating.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:07 PM

I have a Nautilus Pro Series Snowsuit cause I swim like a rock. Have no problems with it the suit being stiff. It is a Bulkier suit but that is from the amount of Foam that the Suit has.
Suit is Canadian Coast Guard approved and has Neoprene Cuffs for the arms to keep out the snow and water. It has a built-in Suspender so you can wear it as a half shell for warmer days.
Downfall to this Pro Series line is that they are in the $600.00+ range. Have not tested it out personally in the frigid water though.

Not sure what CT has for sale but check to see if it is CCG approved. When it comes to personal Safety on the Ice, you can't put a value....
Would recommend to purchase a set of Ice Picks also. These are about $10.00 a set. Worthwhile investment should you ever go in and need something to help you out of the water faster and back on to safer Ice.

From Nautilus site:

All CCG Approved Adult PFD’s have the same minimum amount of buoyancy, 15-1/2lbs. As a reference, the average adult weighs approximately 8lbs in the water.

Many larger people will ask the question, "How do I know the PFD will float me?". For larger sized people, they can be assured that the device will float them. An approved PFD has a minimum of 15-1/2lbs of buoyancy - larger sizes, incrementally increase in buoyancy simply by the increase in surface area and the resulting increase in the amount of foam required to make that size. The rule is "If it fits you, it will float you".

All PFD's that are DTC (Department of Transport Canada) approved have been submitted for testing by Underwriters Laboratories of Canada (ULC) and approved in accordance with DTC regulations. That means that not only the design passes the approval criteria, but every component used on the device does as well.

The testing that ULC performs on a device evaluates not only its flotation characteristics, but also the strength of its design and construction. If a manufacturer makes even a small change that could impact any of these characteristics that have been tested for, they must resubmit the revised design for evaluation.

Although Lifejackets are approved by the Department of Transport (not Canadian Coast Guard) they still must comply to a very similar approval regiment.

Where a traditional lifejacket had approximately 35lbs of buoyancy, a PFD has a minimum of 15.5lbs of buoyancy. Where lifejackets were designed to self-right people into a face up position in the water, PFD’s do not. PFD’s do have a marginally higher amount of flotation in the front of the product to achieve a safe flotation angle, but they are designed for comfort as well as safety.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:41 PM

Thank for your guys' input. The original price of the one which is on sale by CT is just $319, probably it is not good enough.

Thanks
Old 12-06-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_edmonton View Post
Thank for your guys' input. The original price of the one which is on sale by CT is just $319, probably it is not good enough.

Thanks
I got mine from TFH in Calgary. I think they have a couple of brands there. Check it out and see what you can finds out. Never know, it could be same one but cheaper. Save on that and then can spend more toys....
I got mine when TFH had a Wall to Wall sale. Think it was maybe 25% off but well worth the investment..