Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-13-2018, 06:20 PM

Default Bow River Broohaha

Today I came across something very concerning... I heard at the u of c some students talking about a recent rainbow trout population survey on the bow that showed a 50% decline in stocks over the last decade and a half or so (can exactly remember the start date). Either way I followed up and found two very recent articles in the herald and on the CBC website that stated that the study which was run by some grad students at u of c discussed the floods, whirling disease and catch rates as the reason. Wierd, the bow is catch and release in the sections surveyed... it attributed the 3%-9% catch and release mortalities as the reasons for stock declines? The head hauncho of the study said specifically that perhaps introducing a lottery system (I would assume similar to our hunting draws or walleye draws) is a possible solution that should be considered. This sent me over the edge, especially when the governments ineptitude over whirling disease as well as the constant fluctuations of water levels caused by the various dams likely has the largest impact on the population, that and the poaching... I don’t want this thread to go sideways about who is to blame for the poaching, I’m sure anyone who spends time in the river knows very well what the situation is, I just wanted to inform fellow anglers about the discussions that are going on with very little consultation from the fishing and guiding communities on the bow. I would expect some more news in the new year about what will be done about the declines, but in the meantime spread the word and let people know that you don’t support a draw/ lottery system on what is a fantastic and one of a kind catch and release fishery.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:40 PM

Here
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=355167
Old 12-13-2018, 06:58 PM

I knew it must have been talked about already I appreciate it, I just couldn’t find it!
Old 12-14-2018, 10:23 AM

The article does NOT say that the declines are only from angling. The paper, written by a PhD candidate, just looked at old information from 2003-2013. There are a number of factors that could cause population decreases. Controlling angling pressure is one way the government can decrease one aspect of stress on the population...probably the easiest/cheapest thing to do. Is it the most important thing to do, perhaps not, but at least a potentially serious problem has been highlighted. Hopefully more carefully thought out research will come out of this review and specific problems can be identified.
Fluctuating water levels via TransAlta is certainly not doing the river any good. But you know...it's all about the money....who cares about the fish
Old 12-14-2018, 10:54 PM

Results from this fall's boat shocking discussed

https://bowrivertrout.org/2018/12/14...survey-update/