Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-12-2012, 09:06 AM

Post Fishing Spots around Calgary (within a hour)

Hey guys,

I'm new to fishing and I was wondering if there are any good fishing spots around Calgary that is noobie friendly. I'm looking for some fishing spots where you are allow to keep the fish. I've been scanning these forums and a lot of good things about Pine Coulee Reservoir, but I know you are not allowed to keep any Walleyes caught there and there is a 3 fish limit on Pike. I was just wondering if there is any spots where you can find some good catch and you are allowed to keep them.

I don't fly fish yet cause it seems to be a hard skill to learn, so for now I'm sticking to shore fishing with a bobber or pickeral rig. I would really appreciate it if someone can point out a couple of good fishing spots close to Calgary that I can catch trout, perch, walleye, etc. (perferably within 1hour of driving, but will go farther out)

I'm kind of desperate since it's almost Father's day and I would like to go fishing with my dad. He hasn't been having the greatest luck this year and it would be awesome if I can find a good spot for us to spend the day fishing.

Cheers guys and good luck on your fishing trips.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:41 PM

Glenmore resevoir.....slow and it kind of sucks
McLean Creek about 40-50 mins
Allen Bill Pond (close to mcleans)
Dewitts pond about 5 mins west of Airdrie

There are also a bunch of places in Kananaskis (Upper and lower lakes but they are over an hour drive from Calgary)
Kananaskis doesnt allow bait so keep that in mind though
Old 06-12-2012, 01:17 PM

These are all trout fisheries btw
Dickson trout Pond is a little over an hour drive but a great fishery as well
Old 06-12-2012, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the reply.

We've been to Allen Bill Pond and Glenmore, didn't have much luck. I went to Dewitt's yesterday and got skunked. It seemed quite slow, only a couple of people got some small trouts. Thanks for the suggestions though, will probably head back to Dewitt's and try again hope for better success.

Is McLean better than Allen Bill? I thought that pond is stocked less. I'm very curious about the winter kill potential, since these ponds are stocked every year wouldn't there be a lot of fish accumulated over the years if winter kill doesn't occur?
Old 06-12-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobsauce View Post
Thanks for the reply.

We've been to Allen Bill Pond and Glenmore, didn't have much luck. I went to Dewitt's yesterday and got skunked. It seemed quite slow, only a couple of people got some small trouts. Thanks for the suggestions though, will probably head back to Dewitt's and try again hope for better success.

Is McLean better than Allen Bill? I thought that pond is stocked less. I'm very curious about the winter kill potential, since these ponds are stocked every year wouldn't there be a lot of fish accumulated over the years if winter kill doesn't occur?
Mcleans doesnt get fished out nearly as fast and its alot muddier/murkier than allen bill. The trout in Dewitts are very small as well.

My suggestion is dickson trout pond then. Just south of spruceview beside glennifer lake. You should be able to get good size trout there on just worms and I doubt you will get skunked if you go for a few hours.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:55 PM

Chain lakes is great rainbow fishing. I watched an old couple sit on shore in their lawn chair, just using a rig with corn. They hauled in their limit in no time. Some real nice beauties. I've always caught fish there. Never been skunked. About an hours drive.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was looking at the alberta fishing guide website trying to find these places. I got quite confused. Dickson trout pond, where is that? On the map it looks like it's just north of the Dickson Dam, is that correct? Also with regards to Chain Lake, I assume you are talking about Chain Lake Reservoir? Are there any specific access roads or anything?
Old 06-13-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was looking at the alberta fishing guide website trying to find these places. I got quite confused. Dickson trout pond, where is that? On the map it looks like it's just north of the Dickson Dam, is that correct? Also with regards to Chain Lake, I assume you are talking about Chain Lake Reservoir? Are there any specific access roads or anything?
South on Hwy 22, you'll run right in to it.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
South on Hwy 22, you'll run right in to it.
Well you actually have to make a right turn to run into it. Turn into Chain Lakes provincial park. South end of the lake
Old 06-13-2012, 12:39 PM

Ive only fished chain lakes twice and only ever had luck near the damn (limited luck...few small ones an a sucker)
Whats the best part of Chain lakes to fish in from shore?
Thanks!
Old 06-13-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryguy1977 View Post
Ive only fished chain lakes twice and only ever had luck near the damn (limited luck...few small ones an a sucker)
Whats the best part of Chain lakes to fish in from shore?
Thanks!
PM Me I have a few tips on Chain Lakes!

Lord please help me see the day
that I catch the one that got away!

Tight Lines and Wet Nets!
Old 06-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Banned

Just look at this website, and then go catch the trout soon after they are stocked.

http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/default/index.cfm/programs/fisheries/aca-rainbow-trout-stocking/
Old 06-13-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdad013 View Post
Well you actually have to make a right turn to run into it. Turn into Chain Lakes provincial park. South end of the lake
Lol, you don't say??? Kind of thought that was a given, obviously Hwy 22 doesn't drive right into lake.... Pretty hard to miss though, if you get onto Hwy 22 (somewhere north of Longview) and head south.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Just look at this website, and then go catch the trout soon after they are stocked.

http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/default/index.cfm/programs/fisheries/aca-rainbow-trout-stocking/
Am I missing something??? They don't have chain lakes listed on there, it is stocked right??
Old 06-13-2012, 02:58 PM

I would recommend learning the Bow as well, it's not a catch and keep fishery but it can be really fun, and depending on where you live really convinient to fish.

It's not all that fishable(not impossible but not primetime either) now but in a few weeks you should be good to go.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Chain Lakes (<--- clicky) Good pictures there.

Here's the Entrance: Turn Off

Route map Or you can go down through Turner Valley/Longview Here

I've heard there's good fishing at the north end by the dam. But there's only room for one or two cars, and then its a good 2 to 300 yard hike through a farmers fence down to the water.
I found just parking at the day use (close to the boat launch) was so much easier. Playground for the kids. Washrooms. Picnic tables. Benches. And we had no problem catching fish.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:15 PM

grotto has some tasty rainbow trout and some huge browns....i repeat HUGE BROWNS
Old 06-14-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
grotto has some tasty rainbow trout and some huge browns....i repeat HUGE BROWNS
Grotto Mountain pond? Are you kidding? I only ever caught small rainbows out of there. Do they stock browns or are you trolling? LOL
Old 06-15-2012, 02:32 PM

If you don't care about keeping fish and just want to catch some, give Pine Coulee a try. Go south on hwy 2 (deerfoot) about 20kms past Nanton you'll come to sign for Stavely turn right (west) at the sign and head west, it's not that far, you'll see a road and parking lot on the right before the bridge, park there and walk down. toss a pickerel rig with minnows and you'll catch walleye all day long. Not the biggest and ya can't keep any, but a great place to take the kids or the elderly to have fun and catch fish. Or go over the bridge and at your second left past the parking lot on the west side of the bridge turn left follow the paved road south till right before the road turns right you'll see signs for a boat launch go down and fish off the dock.
If you're tired of getting skunked give it a try
Cheers Rick
Old 08-17-2013, 09:32 PM

Default Pond Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryguy1977 View Post
Glenmore resevoir.....slow and it kind of sucks
McLean Creek about 40-50 mins
Allen Bill Pond (close to mcleans)
Dewitts pond about 5 mins west of Airdrie

There are also a bunch of places in Kananaskis (Upper and lower lakes but they are over an hour drive from Calgary)
Kananaskis doesnt allow bait so keep that in mind though
I was at McLean Creek pond and Allen Bill pond this morning. Unfortunately Bill Allen pond no longer exists - destroyed by floods and now is straight river - and the McLean pond was extremely tough go; could be fished out by now.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:35 PM

I was at McLean Creek pond and Allen Bill pond this morning. Unfortunately Bill Allen pond no longer exists - destroyed by floods and now is straight river - and the McLean pond was extremely tough go; could be fished out by now.