Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-23-2017, 08:45 PM
Banned

Default Great Day For Rainbows.

So I took my wife and grandson out to Rainbows End pond today. Couldn't have asked for better conditions. No wind and a slight haze to keep the sun from baking us. Fellow AO member Yee Haw joined us. The plan was catch and release, but we still came away with 5 big Bows from the 15 or so we landed. It was great to see that the aerators were all working properly, and though the pond was not clear, it was not too cloudy with algae. I'm hoping that by late fall most of the original 5 yr old stock will be in the 8-10 lbs range. We have not seen one instance of whirling disease on the pond yet. I think it's great that the lakes and ponds around Edmonton can still sustain a healthy trout population. Seriously considering adding some Tigers.
Post some pics from my phone if can.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:54 PM
Banned

Looking forward to pics! Those would be some amazing size fish for pond fishing fun!!
Old 08-23-2017, 09:02 PM
Banned

IMG_3575.jpgIMG_3561.jpgIMG_3566.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2017, 11:17 PM

Where is rainbows end pond, if you don't mind me asking? Also what were using, are you allowed to canoe there, or is it shore fishing only. Looks like a great day of fishing!!
Old 08-24-2017, 08:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
Where is rainbows end pond, if you don't mind me asking? Also what were using, are you allowed to canoe there, or is it shore fishing only. Looks like a great day of fishing!!
The pond is a large private dugout with aerators 20 min from Edm. It was stocked 5 years ago as an experiment to see if the fish could survive and thrive. So far it has been a huge success. Last winter the aerators stopped working and we were worried about a winter kill, but thankfully that didn't happen.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:31 AM

Nice work! This post has it all. Nice fish, smiling kids (small and big), and a motorcycle with a fish next to it.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:26 AM
Banned

Nice fish!! I'd say the experiment is working well. So as it's a private dugout is it owned by a fishing club and requires a membership or daily/annual fees with an annual fish quota etc. or is it your own or a partnered venture with others?
I am curious, you mentioned trying Tigers next so I assume you have availability to purchase them from either a gov't or private hatchery? My neighbour has a huge dugout 35' deep and he is planning to stock it. He would love seeing your results.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:48 AM

Nice work gramps. Does that mean you're firing up the smoker?
Old 08-24-2017, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
Nice fish!! I'd say the experiment is working well. So as it's a private dugout is it owned by a fishing club and requires a membership or daily/annual fees with an annual fish quota etc. or is it your own or a partnered venture with others?
I am curious, you mentioned trying Tigers next so I assume you have availability to purchase them from either a gov't or private hatchery? My neighbour has a huge dugout 35' deep and he is planning to stock it. He would love seeing your results.
Landowner needs to get a permit from F&W (or is it AB agriculture?). As long as his pond is not too close to another lake or river/creek he should have no problem. I would strongly suggest some sort of aerator system.
We were going to add a few tigers this year or even some more Bows, but with the floods damaging some major hatcheries, and now the whirling disease problems, hatcheries are having trouble keeping up with demand. Perhaps next spring.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Nice work gramps. Does that mean you're firing up the smoker?
Quite honestly I was really just there for catch and release. The few we had to keep I ended up giving away. I even brought a cooler with a couple down to hermitage to give away, because I always feel sorry for those poor guys that are fishing in that pond that wasn't stocked this year. Thats one decision I really don't understand.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Landowner needs to get a permit from F&W (or is it AB agriculture?). As long as his pond is not too close to another lake or river/creek he should have no problem. I would strongly suggest some sort of aerator system.
We were going to add a few tigers this year or even some more Bows, but with the floods damaging some major hatcheries, and now the whirling disease problems, hatcheries are having trouble keeping up with demand. Perhaps next spring.
Is the dugout your own or do a couple/few of you own or lease it?