Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-19-2013, 08:30 AM

Default Crossbows???

Are crossbows legal for hunting in Alberta?

Goose smasher
Old 05-19-2013, 08:40 AM

During primitive weapon seasons, or if you have a permit to use it in the archery seasons. They may be used in firearms seasons.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:03 AM

Here we go
Old 05-19-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post

Here we go
Lol. You think its gonna turn sideways?
Old 05-19-2013, 09:50 AM

Crossbows should be banned.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 05-19-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
The word crossbow, seems to raise the temperature of some folks blood. Definitely has a chance of turning.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:33 PM

There is a place for crossbows. Just not in archery seasons. imho

www.nicktrehearne.com
Old 05-19-2013, 02:43 PM

Perfect for spring bear stand hunting. But then again, maybe they should be:

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
banned.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:45 PM

I use to use a compound bow until I injured my shoulder in a car accident. And to tell you the truth I love the experience and the intensity of hunting an animal up close and personal. Anyone who has taken game using archery knows it is a complete different experience of hunting than using a rifle. I love rifle hunting as well but just because I am limited on not being able to draw back a legal bow doesn't mean I should be limited to rifle season!

I know your all just jealous of my fps
Old 05-19-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnchicks View Post
I use to use a compound bow until I injured my shoulder in a car accident. And to tell you the truth I love the experience and the intensity of hunting an animal up close and personal. Anyone who has taken game using archery knows it is a complete different experience of hunting than using a rifle. I love rifle hunting as well but just because I am limited on not being able to draw back a legal bow doesn't mean I should be limited to rifle season!

I totaly agree, I am in the same boat, general season with the rifle or cross bow is all we got. Crossbow in the archery season isn't going to hurt anyone.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:05 PM

If you can't draw back a 40# bow, then you shouldn't be hunting in the archery season...that's the basic fact!!
Old 05-19-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyletters View Post
If you can't draw back a 40# bow, then you shouldn't be hunting in the archery season...that's the basic fact!!
Blahhhhhhh! Phtttttttt!
sometimes circumstances don't allow everyone the opportunities others have.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Well people like you won't make me feel any less proud when I am sitting in front of my moose that I called in myself and hunted myself and shot from the same distance as you would with your compound! You buddy, will not even cross my mind!! 😃
Old 05-19-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:

X 3 .....
Until all bow hunters in the primitive bow season were to shoot nothing but long bows/recurves and no compound rigs then cross bows should be allowed without comment.
But only until then, all crossbow hunters, with injuries, should be left alone to do their thing. This is based upon the fact when an old bow hunter can no longer pull a compound bow because of an disability; that person should be allowed to pursue their activity without others casting dispersions even though the crossbow weighs nearly 3x that of a compound bow.

A crossbow hunter still must deploy the hunt and stalk and shots are still under 50 yards. Too many bow hunters are watching too many medieval movies when crossbow shots out to 200 yards are made.
A compound bow at a modern speeds of 350+ FPS, can do the same and the arrow is much heavier than a crossbow bolt thus the energy will take the arrow further.....

The permanent shoulder disability is a total other subject and the daily problems that it brings; and crossbow hunting is at the bottom of the list.

At the top is the lack of ability to lift your child or grandchild because you no longer have the strength or to simply take a cup out of the overhead cupboard.........I wonder how the fellow hunters that have a leg disability and allowed to ride an ATV to hunt with, is different than an injured related crossbow hunter?

Those of you who with out injures are very lucky, I will gladly swap bodies and my quality of life with you. And not being allowed to bow hunt because one is unable to pull a 40 pound bow, has nothing to do with this topic.

Just saying, IMHO from and injured old bow hunter who can still pursue a pastime but just in another way; and still experience the thrill.

Thanks for your understanding.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 05-19-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:

You're absolutely right, we have to come together as hunters, not as elitists from weapon or another. I don't use a crossbow, but if I couldn't use my recurve or compound, I would definitely use one. Right now I use a recurve, compound, shotgun, black powder and a high power rifle. I enjoy all of the disciplines, and can't bring myself to criticize anybody who uses a legal weapon in an approved season. We should be a little more tolerant of each other and use our collective voices to fight the anti's, not each other.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:59 PM

I have noticed no difference in the way i felt or the way the animal died if i shot it at close range with a rifle or a bow.
I don't and likely never will shoot a cross bow, same as i will never hunt with a semi auto rifle, but of people want to fine.
I have always wanted one big season, that way people could hunt with what they wanted to.
Cat
Old 05-19-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Well people like you won't make me feel any less proud when I am sitting in front of my moose that I called in myself and hunted myself and shot from the same distance as you would with your compound! You buddy, will not even cross my mind!! ��
Well said my lady friend, well said. Some of these guys think they are Gods gift to the world. I do think of them myself "there ya go Ice hole" have a nice day. LOL
Old 05-19-2013, 07:09 PM

When you shoulder your weapon it should be in the rifle season held like a gun shot like a gun stay out of the archery season get a bow practice practice practice useing one if your disabled is ok i guess
Old 05-19-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
No, its not the basic fact. Its the basic opinion, yours.

Don't expect everyone to agree with it.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Predator View Post
When you shoulder your weapon it should be in the rifle season held like a gun shot like a gun stay out of the archery season get a bow practice practice practice useing one if your disabled is ok i guess
I think for the most part the people that want to use the crossbow are the ones that can not shoot a regular bow. I for one hunted for 40 years with a bow, started with a recurve and finished with a compound. I had an accident that left me unable to hold my bow at a full draw. Now I am unable to hunt during the archery season. I really don't think that there is much advantage from the crossbow over a compound shooting wise. Actually, a crossbow is much harder to pack around than a compound bow. When I shot my compound, my comfort zone was max 40 yards. With my crossbow, it is the same. By compfort zone I mean the distance that I could put arrow where I wanted to the ajority of the time.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:48 PM

Wow some of u guys are out to lunch !... First off manyletters, your statement about not being able to pull back a 40# bow should keep you out of archery season ... Basic fact?!? Uh ok.. First off let's talk disability... This does not just apply to aging hunters. a seemingly normal looking healthy person can have muscle structure and ligament damage that you cannot see... Now that same "disabled person" may be able to handle twice the recoil on a rifle that your manly manness can handle..now disability aside how fast can u nock another bolt?... I bet it's about 10x faster than a crossbow...you could at least back your statement with something... Anything?
Like dude what's your problem? did a girl with a crossbow show u up once?...

And cat.... Uh ... I dunno if I want to open this can ... With u.. Haha
But u can't be serious about going out with a rifle or bow.. Can u?!?.. I've followed your posts for long enough to know when u go hunting with a rifle " if u see it u can pretty much drop it" am I wrong?... Different with a bow though right? & u must have noticed a difference in the way the animal died.. One is killed by shock while the other bleeds out .. No ?
Difference in quality of meat IMO as well

I do find it a bit crazy so many like to hold themselves on a different platform than others...Your kidding yourself if u think a crossbow doesn't take "practice practice practice"

Last edited by Fishnafterwork; 05-19-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnafterwork View Post
Wow some of u guys are out to lunch !... First off manyletters, your statement about not being able to pull back a 40# bow should keep you out of archery season ... Basic fact?!? Uh ok.. First off let's talk disability... This does not just apply to aging hunters. a seemingly normal looking healthy person can have muscle structure and ligament damage that you cannot see... Now that same "disabled person" may be able to handle twice the recoil on a rifle that your manly manness can handle..now disability aside how fast can u nock another bolt?... I bet it's about 10x faster than a crossbow...you could at least back your statement with something... Anything?
Like dude what's your problem? did a girl with a crossbow show u up once?...

And cat.... Uh ... I dunno if I want to open this can ... With u.. Haha
But u can't be serious about going out with a rifle or bow.. Can u?!?.. I've followed your posts for long enough to know when u go hunting with a rifle " if u see it u can pretty much drop it" am I wrong?... Different with a bow though right?

I do find it a bit crazy so many like to hold themselves on a different platform than others...Your kidding yourself if u think a crossbow doesn't take "practice practice practice"
Thank you.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:03 PM

why is this thread in the archery section?
Old 05-19-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrude1 View Post
why is this thread in the archery section?
I would think that it is not a firearm in the sense that it is not propelled by the discharge of gun powder. In fact it is an arrow, perhaps a little shorter than conventional arrows, but an arrow none the less. Therefore archery.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:18 PM

Just stay in the general season and you crossbow guys will be fine leave the archery season to us BOW HUNTERS! thanks
Old 05-19-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
You're right again Pat , totally gone ..
Old 05-19-2013, 08:24 PM

They should just make all archery seasons on draw and you can use what ever you want bows or crossbows.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Just stay in the general season and you crossbow guys will be fine leave the archery season to us BOW HUNTERS! thanks
Send that order back...
Old 05-19-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
You hunt where you hunt, I hunt where I hunt. Even if we hunt in the same area, what difference does it make if I use a crossbow or not? Am I affecting your hunt? I hunted with conventional bows for 40 years, and not once did I think that what ever the other guy was using was going to affect me what so ever. Until I have any affect on your hunting, and I won't, why are you so dead against crossbows?
Old 05-19-2013, 09:07 PM

They are against crossbows because they think it will bring an influx of thousands of hunters to the woods in archery season and they want to rule the woods and can't handle the extra competition. For a fact it has nothing to do with the weapon that's just an excuse. And yes I Am an avid bow hunter.