Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-12-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Most target archers have always seemed to be people that have sat on a full quiver.

Fortunately they are few in number and can easily be dealt with when major Bowhunting sponsors pull money from their paper-shoots. We know that as bowhunters, our money drives the industry. Perhaps a letter to the bow company of your choice, along with a suggestion not to support any event that bans camouflage. Time to deal with the princesses.
Bingo!
Old 01-12-2016, 10:10 PM

I am fairly new to the 3d/target scene and honestly the archery community is a great one to belong to. I have had very few poor experiences and countless good ones.

LC
Old 01-12-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Makes sense. I hope to attend the shoot. Maybe have a chance to meet a few of you there!

LC
That would be great, keep in touch on it!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-12-2016, 10:54 PM

So if the archery organizations want to distance themselves from hunting, how long will it be before they no longer allow the targets to be simulated animals?
Old 01-12-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
3D shoots were inventd by bowhunters for fun and practice...slowly target archers somehow took over and took archery out of bowhunting..to the point of shunning us...thats why we re-invented the ABA [Alberta Bowhunter Association] shoots before it was too late...

I attended a 3D shoot as a spectator not so long ago and didnt see what I classified as a hunting bow set up there ...kinna ironic with all the animal targets there.... Hence 3D...
There were hunting bows ...dressed up for target..

Which is all fine, and not to take it from anyone or group in their form of shooting...but when one group...in this case the original shooters...get shunned out to the point where bowhunter cant even be mentioned......

Most of the serious 3D shooters that are hunters own several bows...one for hunting one for 3D ..which defeats the purpose of practice with the hunting bow...

I can see how this is going...eventually hunters will be weeded out of the 3D circuit...then PETA or the circuit itself will deem animal targets unethical...then perhaps paper animal targets ...then that will be demed unethical also...so back to the paper ring targets....ending up in a bunch of suits shooting paper at various distance or even back to set yardage ...

Thats why I support ABA shoots where bowhunters can be bowhunters shooting their bowhunting set ups...

ABA- http://www.bowhunters.ca/

Neil
Neil to be fair have you attended a shoot in the last 3-4years? There was a hunter class in Lloydminster last weekend and quite a few Hunter style bows present. Of course there was lots of target bows and long stabilizers too. Everyone is welcome at a 3d shoot, and the ones I have attended over the past 4 years has seen all ages, skill levels and equipment types attend. Come to a shoot...I saw hunting bow setups last weekend in Lloyd, actually a guy shooting a hunting bow made it into the final 8 in the Grande Prix and I expect to see some in Lethbridge this coming weekend.

Honestly people just need to grab what they have and attend these shoots.

LC
Old 01-13-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
As Ray just posted above from the GCA facebook page.....and I just spoke with one of the current executive (and I was on the executive for about 5 years myself).....the dress code stipulation has nothing to do with banning camo and jeans, they are just fine. It isn't about distancing the competition from it's hunting roots. Its about keeping things in good taste, and safe. Pretty simple stuff. If you show up in your flannel pajamas and your significant other shooting partner looks like it is her turn next on the pole dance, probably should wear something more appropriate. I'm sure it will be a great event, we usually host a good show up here, so lets not find reasons to not support the event/club/archery in general.....carry on gentlemen.
I have seen that page....sorry dont get me wrong... it wasnt about slamming any shoots or their hosting...and certainly not about finding reasons NOT to not support any event/club/archery in general.....

Was simply a querry on where this is all going and where that line is drawn...

lol

Neil
Old 01-13-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Tempest in a tea pot. Most recent dress code I read (a few days ago )still allowed camo as a pattern. Tube tops, sandals, flip flops, etc were not allowed.

I understand in Europe it is entirely different and strict dress codes must be followed.

Trust me....no one wants to see me in a tube top. Camo or otherwise.
better re-read the archery Alberta dress code rules.... no patterns allowed including camo...
Old 01-13-2016, 10:06 AM

AC 20 Dress Regulations - Canada
AC 20.0 Dress regulations apply to all participants (including Team Officials, coaches, assistants, etc.) while they are on
the competition field of play, on courses or in practice areas,
AC 20.0.1 In general:
AC 20.1.1 Participants must be neat in appearance in respect of personal grooming and clothing.
AC 20.1.2 Clothing which is offensive, is in poor taste or is disrespectful to Archery Canada and its
sponsors is not allowed.
AC 20.1.3 Footwear must be worn at all times. Shoes may be different styles but shall cover the entire
foot. Sandals and open-toed footwear are not permitted for athletes.
AC 20.1.4 The Director of Shooting, or in the absence of a DoS, the Technical Delegate, will be
responsible for enforcing the dress code and will make any decisions in connection with
appropriateness of dress or appearance.
AC 20.0.2 Specific dress regulations and/or guidelines may be published for general or specific events:
AC 20.3 At Outdoor and Indoor Target Championships, Field Championships, Canadian Open and related events, except
when the regulations are relaxed due to inclement weather:
AC 20.3.1 Pants, shorts, skirts, divided skirts, etc. must be a solid un-patterned colour and may not be shorter
than the fingertips when the arms and fingers are extended at the side.
• blue jeans are only permitted for the Field Championship and Indoor Championship
• fleece track pants are not allowed
• note: camouflage wear contravenes this section
AC 20.3.2 Men’s shirts must have sleeves and must cover the front and back of the body.
AC 20.3.3 Women’s tops must cover the front and back of the body and be fixed over each shoulder.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
AC 20 Dress Regulations - Canada
AC 20.0 Dress regulations apply to all participants (including Team Officials, coaches, assistants, etc.) while they are on
the competition field of play, on courses or in practice areas,
AC 20.0.1 In general:
AC 20.1.1 Participants must be neat in appearance in respect of personal grooming and clothing.
AC 20.1.2 Clothing which is offensive, is in poor taste or is disrespectful to Archery Canada and its
sponsors is not allowed.
AC 20.1.3 Footwear must be worn at all times. Shoes may be different styles but shall cover the entire
foot. Sandals and open-toed footwear are not permitted for athletes.
AC 20.1.4 The Director of Shooting, or in the absence of a DoS, the Technical Delegate, will be
responsible for enforcing the dress code and will make any decisions in connection with
appropriateness of dress or appearance.
AC 20.0.2 Specific dress regulations and/or guidelines may be published for general or specific events:
AC 20.3 At Outdoor and Indoor Target Championships, Field Championships, Canadian Open and related events, except
when the regulations are relaxed due to inclement weather:
AC 20.3.1 Pants, shorts, skirts, divided skirts, etc. must be a solid un-patterned colour and may not be shorter
than the fingertips when the arms and fingers are extended at the side.
• blue jeans are only permitted for the Field Championship and Indoor Championship
• fleece track pants are not allowed
• note: camouflage wear contravenes this section
AC 20.3.2 Men’s shirts must have sleeves and must cover the front and back of the body.
AC 20.3.3 Women’s tops must cover the front and back of the body and be fixed over each shoulder.
So only pants and shorts are held to this pattern limitation? You can still wear camo shirts and hats it seems. Also no reference to camo bows or anything else.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:28 AM

The results of turning 3D for hunters into Target archery. Just wonderful, but politically correct.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:36 AM

Hoping common sense would prevail and anyone tastefully dressed in camouflage would be able to shoot without issue.

Ultimately that is part of the rules as written, and up to the judges. I personally don't think camouflage attire diminishes anyone's experience at a shoot.

I know of one target archer who I believe is on an Archery board wearing some fairly bright and patterned pants to the Indoor Nationals and other shoots in the past years.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 01-13-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Hoping common sense would prevail and anyone tastefully dressed in camouflage would be able to shoot without issue.

Ultimately that is part of the rules as written, and up to the judges. I personally don't think camouflage attire diminishes anyone's experience at a shoot.

LC
I will admit I do have a little inside chuckle when I see the full Sitka camo outfits at a shoot like they are in the middle of a sheep hunt lol, but I don't think it diminishes my experience in anyway.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:51 AM

3d shoots used to be excepted from this rule....but no longer
Old 01-13-2016, 12:03 PM

Can't wear camo pants, can only wear jeans sometimes...so they want non fleece grey sweat pants...this is just silly
Old 01-13-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post
Can't wear camo pants, can only wear jeans sometimes...so they want non fleece grey sweat pants...this is just silly
No those are not allowed they want dress pants
Old 01-13-2016, 12:23 PM

I wonder what they would say if you hung trucknutz off of the stabilizer and you said it was a pendulum based oscillation removing stabilization system....

But not in camo...
Old 01-13-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Did you even read the post from the host club's web page? 'Jeans and camo are ok'. This doesn't actually preclude camo pants even if Archery Alberta gets ****y about it. And anyway, is it really going to hurt your feelings if you can't wear camo pants? Hell, you might show up with them on to make a statement and nobody cares, notices, or boots your ass out anyway, so why bitch about it already?....personally I don't give a damn what the dress code rules are from Archery Alberta, and pretty sure our club as a whole doesn't either. I'm not on executive any more so won't speak for them, but as I said in an earlier post, I have spoken with one of them and there is much ado about nothing here. If you want to grind an axe with Archery Alberta by all means do so (part of the reason I stepped down from executive was a bunch of target shooting BS but that's another story). But we have always been a hunter oriented, ABA type club, with target shooters welcomed. Unless something radical has happened that I'm not aware of we won't be changing our family friendly, hunter friendly, archery (all disciplines) friendly club. So, stop trying to make this sound like some kind of an Edict from the Archery Kremlin that is going to hurt your feelings and violate your rights....goodness what a bunch of whining.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-13-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Did you even read the post from the host club's web page? 'Jeans and camo are ok'. This doesn't actually preclude camo pants even if Archery Alberta gets ****y about it. And anyway, is it really going to hurt your feelings if you can't wear camo pants? Hell, you might show up with them on to make a statement and nobody cares, notices, or boots your ass out anyway, so why bitch about it already?....personally I don't give a damn what the dress code rules are from Archery Alberta, and pretty sure our club as a whole doesn't either. I'm not on executive any more so won't speak for them, but as I said in an earlier post, I have spoken with one of them and there is much ado about nothing here. If you want to grind an axe with Archery Alberta by all means do so (part of the reason I stepped down from executive was a bunch of target shooting BS but that's another story). But we have always been a hunter oriented, ABA type club, with target shooters welcomed. Unless something radical has happened that I'm not aware of we won't be changing our family friendly, hunter friendly, archery (all disciplines) friendly club. So, stop trying to make this sound like some kind of an Edict from the Archery Kremlin that is going to hurt your feelings and violate your rights....goodness what a bunch of whining.

Thank you for what you or anyone involved in the shoot do!!!...sincerly

Neil

Last edited by L.O.S.T.Arrow; 01-13-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Your the one who is whining about us...I'm not talking about your "club" smarty pants. There's more posted if you read the entire conversation. I'm not even going to highlight the direct quote that I referenced. You can try and use your brain to find it. Sounds like your still upset about "stepping down" from an executive, you are right it's easier to quit at something than stand your ground and fight for what you feel is right.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:51 PM

Ok so much misinformation...

I cannot find an ALBERTA ARCHERY dress code so I defaulted to the ARCHERY CANADA one which the Game Country Archers poster says is in effect, then in detail on the GCA web page they do state that jeans and camo are allowed...

Sorry if I stirred things up but with so mich contradiction and misinformation it is good GCA clarifies in their Details that

JEANS AND CAMO ARE ALLOWED at their shoot.

Sorry TC hopefully I clarified that....

I have had many dealings with Alberta Archer when hosting an ATAA sanctioned shoot in past where they had all sorts of stipulations in an outdoor shoot that I would never be involved in working with them again on a shoot period.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Your the one who is whining about us...I'm not talking about your "club" smarty pants. There's more posted if you read the entire conversation. I'm not even going to highlight the direct quote that I referenced. You can try and use your brain to find it. Sounds like your still upset about "stepping down" from an executive, you are right it's easier to quit at something than stand your ground and fight for what you feel is right.
Well played, you saw right through me and what happened, I'm a quitter. Or, my business and family was just taking too much of my time, I can't remember which was more important any more. As for my club, honestly have to say that I haven't had a membership in a couple years and won't this year either, as I just can't justifying having a membership there and at the gun club both, so I picked the one I use the most. Carry on, I won't interrupt any more as I certainly don't have the brains to recognize whining when I see it.....

Thanks for the post Nekred, all good here. TC

Old 01-13-2016, 03:10 PM

Usually the archery section is quiet...bring up fashion choices and look out Sally!

LC
Old 01-13-2016, 05:17 PM

When ever I introduce a fews hens and roosters to an older bunch,
they always pick.

But give them some time and they work it out.

Hell only lost one rooster cause his eye got pecked out and he got
infected, other than that eveyone was fine.

And lived happily ever after.
Up until the pot, when they got old.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:23 PM

Default Dress Code Comments - Really??

Thanks to the AO members that have helped clarify the situation.

Quote from Game Country Archers (GCA) website:
Please remember no inappropriate clothing such as muscle shirts, tank tops, rude or swear words on clothing, no ripped jeans, flip flops, high heels, pajama pants etc. Of course, jeans and camo are allowed.

Unfortunately this issue got blown way out of proportion by some people assuming things, misinformed comments and referencing issues that have nothing to do with the actual information regarding this shoot!

I am on the GCA executive and was the member who posted the shoot details.
Our club took on the provincials last minute as there was not going to be a provincial shoot this year as no club had stepped up to the plate.
We looked at this as a great opportunity to combine it with our annual indoor shoot, to give people the chance to come out and enjoy the awesome event we put on. We are lining up some tremendous sponsors and prizes - a great warm-up before the Mother.
It does take a massive amount of work and GCA hope you all come out have fun at our 3D shoot with whatever bow set up you want and wear all the camo your heart desires.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:59 AM

This got a little blown out of proportion and was merely poking a sharp stick in the general direction of Archery Canada and Archery Alberta following their lead regarding the dress code...stateing dress code will be strictly addressed at all shoots.

It was not intended at any shoot or club, we all appreciate your work, and what you do..thanks...

On a lighter note I do agree with 50% of the "Midriff" Rule ...the 50% would be on male shooters and I also think they should add a male Buttcrackriff rule...lol

Again innocently stirring the pot ...lighten up gang

Neil
Old 01-14-2016, 08:21 AM

Default Sense of humour

Everyone has lost their sense of humour in general lately!

P.S I really enjoyed the APA this fall!
Old 01-14-2016, 02:04 PM

Where can I buy some camo?
Old 01-14-2016, 09:55 PM

Now that it is settled (at least for the GCA Shoot), can someone please explain to me how a person shooting in a tank top, a tube top. or ripped jeans or similar takes away from your personal enjoyment? I understand that flip flops and high heels are a safety concern, and vulgar shirts are inappropriate but if a person's attire isn't a safety concern and doesn't hinder the family atmosphere what is the issue? Are people afraid to be shown up by someone in a onseie?

I admit, I haven't been to a proper organized 3d shoot in Alberta. In fact, I don't think I have been to a highly competitive shoots in several years, mainly charity events. That being said, I can honestly say I have never had a person's attire affect my shooting. Makes me really miss being able to go to Washington state. There is a small store just across the border that rents a nice tract of land from a farmer. Every second Friday in the summer they have a friendly drop in shoot. Pay your $25 and take your chances. No practice, no range finders. Just go and shoot. Winner gets 50%, 2nd gets 25%, rest goes to cover costs. No classes, no dress code, just fun. It helps that this is a dedicated 3d field and away from their store/shooting range but still. I wish more places offered something like this.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:57 AM

Default Pamela Anderson is attending the GP shoot

Well Mulehahn and all AO members, Archery Alberta has a few rules to follow to make sure the shoot has no issues and goes off without a hitch.
Not the big deal like it is being made out to be on this thread.
However, rumour has it Pamela Anderson may be attending our shoot,(get the word out!) and here is a very possible scenario, Just imagine if she shows up in a hot pink tube top, ripped Daisy Duke shorts, and 6 inch heels. I would have her take off her heels and I would borrow her my knee high camo hunting boots. (Got the picture in your mind). So now she is on the shooting line for her first round. Some of the other archers may be distracted by her mere presence and their scores could be affected. Archery Alberta just wants to make sure that there are no such distractions for everyone competing and it is a “fair” shoot for all. Heaven forbid if Pamela ever had a wardrobe malfunction, like poor Janet, well I could see arrows flying off rests and ending up who knows where, a definite safety issue. We are having local news coverage for the shoot and our club does not want that kind of “exposure” making it to print.
And now you know “the rest of the story” on the reason for a dress code.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:11 AM

^^^^^

Attendance just DDoubled!

LC