Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-08-2016, 06:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Nope I know a few who got it over a season time length, you have to reapply every year, just depends in the doctors note as per all Doctor notes.
I stand corrected. I'm not sure when it came in but now injuries that will not improve in 3 years can make you eligible for a crossbow permit. I know that when the criteria changed from having to have an arm amputated or completely paralyzed (ridiculous) to include other upper body injuries, the gobbermint was adamant that people wouldn't get a permit for temporary injuries. Nice to see that it includes the three year criteria.

http://www.mywildalberta.com/BuyLice...et-Jun2011.pdf

Even with a permanent disability you still have to get the Doctor/Medical pers to fill out the form every year but a F&W Officer has the discretion to issue permits for three years. That's what I do.

http://www.mywildalberta.com/BuyLice...er-Jun2011.pdf
Old 11-08-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
I was thinking fishing. Yer better than this LC.
I didn't ask for it to be moved.

LC
Old 11-09-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
kman, your injury/disability has to be permanent/non-repairable in order to get a crossbow permit. You have to get your Doctor to fill out the forms attesting to your injury being permanent. If it can be repaired with surgery you won't get it.
Ya I'm not even going to apply for it unless the Dr legitimately says there is no way you can use a bow. I was just joking. But honestly if it can't be repaired I will apply. Cause either way I want to be out there. For example right now I can't even throw a tennis ball over hand. And even pretending to draw a bow I can feel it. But if it's a matter of surgery or just a lot of physio I'll do it. I'm pretty confident It's not going to be surgery. Just after blowing my rotator cuff so many times I have almost subconsciously stopped using my shoulder in any way that might stress my cuff. After the Dr mentioned that I can see how I do this. So I physio, practicing with a bow set at a low weight and just strengthening my shoulder.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:15 PM

Love crossbows and everything about em.
Should be a week of crossbow end of oct before rifle opens. Get kids hooked on up close and personal hunts. Only allowed to use in rifle season seems not worth it. Dont know anybody that goes the xbow route.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Here is a buddy of mines deer shot on Sunday in a general zone.

Tell your buddy congrats. That's something to talk about around the ole campfire
Old 11-14-2016, 08:15 AM

Default Excalibur Matrix 350 LE *ON SALE @ W.S.S.*

Wholesale Sports has these on sale ($200 off) if anyone is interested.
I bought two yesterday, one for me and one for my brother.

ht tp://www.wholesalesports.com/store/wsoo/en/Categories/Hunting/Bows-%26-Crossbows/Crossbows/Matrix-350-LE-with-Dead-Zone-Scope/p/89243
Old 11-16-2016, 06:12 PM

Default 0745 this morn

Sittin' on a stump waiting for legal light. Heard him walking into me at 0730 in the crunchy snow from last night. All clear to shoot time-wise. He took another 15 mins to walk by with his nose to the ground, at 25 yards. Never even noticed me sittin' in the clear. Excalibur Micro 335. NAP FOC (FOC = Freaking Outrageous Cut) 170 gr broadheads left a hole I could put my fist into on the exit side. Deer went 15 yards.

Last edited by CNP; 11-16-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:15 PM

Congrats!

LC
Old 11-16-2016, 08:48 PM
Banned

Congrats, Randy! Perfect shot?.....Great beard too!

Last edited by HunterDave; 11-16-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:55 PM

Good job. R. Thought you went south but looks like you should be at the North Pole. Merry early Christmas.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I am just surprised for as many guys who own crossbows and lobby to use them, not many seem to go after it? As I type this from under a spruce tree in an open rifle WMU with my compound in my hand....am I silly for using a bow right now? I have quite a few perfectly good rifles at home. At this stage in my hunting I am all about the method/experience end of things. I just figured we would see more guys/gals who enjoy X-bows to use them?

LC
Well I guess there are a few after all.
Congratulations on the crossbow kills boys.
Love the beard I wish mine was white.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post

Sittin' on a stump waiting for legal light. Heard him walking into me at 0730 in the crunchy snow from last night. All clear to shoot time-wise. He took another 15 mins to walk by with his nose to the ground, at 25 yards. Never even noticed me sittin' in the clear. Excalibur Micro 335. NAP FOC (FOC = Freaking Outrageous Cut) 170 gr broadheads left a hole I could put my fist into on the exit side. Deer went 15 yards.
Nice buck Santa . I've tried hunting that way with the Xbow, but it never worked out for me like it did for you. Pretty neat way to hunt when you can stay perfectly still throughout the approach and shot - wicked ambushing advantages with those Xbows.. Congrats!
Old 11-16-2016, 10:44 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Bow hunter gets it done eh! What a beast, cranker of a body, deadly wound, congrats on the buck

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-17-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Bow hunter gets it done eh! What a beast, cranker of a body, deadly wound, congrats on the buck
Sliced the heart near in half lol. Waitin' out for a bigger one but I got antsy. It's all meat in the fridge now
Old 11-17-2016, 07:09 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Sliced the heart near in half lol. Waitin' out for a bigger one but I got antsy. It's all meat in the fridge now
You mean bigger as in antlers because body wise that's a gooder, my mule deer this year had a beauty rack but lacked in the meat department compared to yours!
Can't eat antlers but they sure look good while eating a nice slice of tenderloin!

Old 11-17-2016, 07:09 AM

Headed for the garage now...........Santa has work to do

Old 11-17-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Big neck eh?
Old 11-17-2016, 07:50 AM

Beauty deer!
Well done!
Old 11-17-2016, 07:07 PM

I like your comment reddeer about getting beginner hunters hooked on the up close experience of hunting. That is exactly how i got addicted to hunting, killing my first three whitetails with a crossbow. For this reason i'll be in the stand with my trusty old excalibur tomorrow even though its open for rifle.

Also crossbows got me into shooting compound and traditional bows.
But this year has not been generous with available time to practice so i'm thankful for my crossbow that i can still slip out to the stand for an up close hunt and be confident in making a good clean shot.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:59 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

I've been hunting with my Excalibur Matrix over here in BC ever since I got back from Alberta's successful run. And yes, in rifle zones chiefly. Expect to be doing the same right up to the season ender unless Mr. Wonderful happens along...

Best of Luck to all my fellow Arbolists still In The Game!

Cheers,
Nog
Old 11-20-2016, 04:37 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulmer View Post
I like your comment reddeer about getting beginner hunters hooked on the up close experience of hunting. That is exactly how i got addicted to hunting, killing my first three whitetails with a crossbow. For this reason i'll be in the stand with my trusty old excalibur tomorrow even though its open for rifle.

Also crossbows got me into shooting compound and traditional bows.
But this year has not been generous with available time to practice so i'm thankful for my crossbow that i can still slip out to the stand for an up close hunt and be confident in making a good clean shot.
Good luck may a cranker walk by...

Old 11-20-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
I've been hunting with my Excalibur Matrix over here in BC ever since I got back from Alberta's successful run. And yes, in rifle zones chiefly. Expect to be doing the same right up to the season ender unless Mr. Wonderful happens along...

Best of Luck to all my fellow Arbolists still In The Game!

Cheers,
Nog
Swinging at the heights under the canapoy of the cedars...

Old 11-20-2016, 10:33 PM

So are you guys saying crossbows are now legal to use during archery season? I heard someone saying that they could but I thought it was B.S.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
So are you guys saying crossbows are now legal to use during archery season? I heard someone saying that they could but I thought it was B.S.
No it's not. ONLY with special permit due to permanent injury or disability. Otherwise a crossbow is legal for general seasons and some primitive weapon seasons.

LC
Old 11-20-2016, 11:12 PM

I thought I was out of the loop or something. I'm sure if that day ever comes there will be a lot of screaming.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:14 PM

One day it will happen and there will be an xbow season and or included with archery.
I'm sure there are LOTS of people out there that get there bow sighted in half ass and off they go flinging arrows and people not shooting there guns prior and just throwing lead everywhere not knowing where it will hit.
An ethical, respectful, LOVE for the outdoors kinda person regardless of what they shoot "xbow, bow, gun" is going to take the time in sighting in the weapon of choice to make sure of a clean ethical shot.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
I thought I was out of the loop or something. I'm sure if that day ever comes there will be a lot of screaming.
For joy!

Old 11-23-2016, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snortwheez View Post
One day it will happen and there will be an xbow season and or included with archery.
I'm sure there are LOTS of people out there that get there bow sighted in half ass and off they go flinging arrows and people not shooting there guns prior and just throwing lead everywhere not knowing where it will hit.
An ethical, respectful, LOVE for the outdoors kinda person regardless of what they shoot "xbow, bow, gun" is going to take the time in sighting in the weapon of choice to make sure of a clean ethical shot.
And being familiar with the weapon of choice too, practice makes perfect or about as close as you can get!

Old 11-24-2016, 08:29 AM

I personally think the rules we have in place now are fine regarding eligibility of crossbow use. I respect those who use them with a permit during archery season and those who like a challenge during rifle season. What motives other than laziness would anyone want to take the easy way out and use x bows during archery season, if they are not disabled ?
Old 11-24-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm rem View Post
I personally think the rules we have in place now are fine regarding eligibility of crossbow use. I respect those who use them with a permit during archery season and those who like a challenge during rifle season. What motives other than laziness would anyone want to take the easy way out and use x bows during archery season, if they are not disabled ?
I'm on the fence.... As far as chasing animals through the bush a compound is the way I would go sitting in a treestand or ground blind I would more than likely buy a crossbow as I see the clear advantage in not needing to draw a crossbow however this might not apply for all crossbows but they seem large and awkward to carry through the bush.

While I enjoy bowhunting and shooting archery I only bowhunt because that's what I'm allowed to use dependant on area or season. I would rifle hunt if I could.

The true reason I am on the fence is that I feel if crossbow hunting becomes legal many more hunters will become bowhunters resulting in more traffic and competition in the bush, maybe higher harvest rates and possibly more tags on draws.
Although most animals are on draw already in areas I hunt and if an individual only gets one tag whether bow, crossbow, muzzleloader, shotgun or rifle so I guess does it really matter?