Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2010, 06:18 PM

Talking Camping Trip West of Sundre - Pic Heavy - Had a great time!

Well, just spent 5 days out in the west country near Bearberry west of Sundre.

We spent a few days just chilling at our beauty campsite where we had permission from a rancher to park on his property. And use the wood burning sauna. Great folks, super friendly, and they rent out cabins on their property as well. PM me if you’d like the info! We are going to make plans to rent a cabin this winter with another couple, just a treat to be out there.

We went up the Forestry Trunk road, hiked along Limestone Mountain to the Fire Lookout and had a nice visit with the lady up there. Her biggest beef was all the quadders that go past the fence and quad right up to the tower. She said she didn’t get many hikers, so it was a nice change for her. We picked a great day to go, with the weather being perfect. We were the only people up there and hardly saw anyone all day.

We did a few other hikes in the area exploring some cutlines and looking to see what we could see. We were going to go up to peppers lake, and down to the Ya Ha Tinda, but we felt lazy and just sat around the campfire instead. Felt great to be recharged.

We went a ways down into Limestone creek and did a bit of plinking while there. I wish I had remembered my fishing lures (they were at home) as there were some nice looking trout in one of the creeks we found. I did buy some lures in Sundre the next day, and fished the James River one evening to be nailed with a pretty wild thunder and hailstorm. No pics of that event as it took my wife and I about 35 minutes through the hail to hike back to camp, drenched totally.

Anyhow, it was a great trip, very quiet, relaxing, and a bit of exercise thrown in. Here’s a bunch of pics.

Tons of deer, only saw Does, Mulie and Whitetails

Flowers were in full bloom

Sauna!

Duke the City Dog contemplating the wildlife. This shaggy beast knew how to crawl under the fence and would come visit us every evening since we had the nicer grass on our side.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:19 PM

Here’s some pics of our campsite. Couldn’t have had a nicer spot.

Spent a few hours snoozing away in our Hennessey hammocks… Nice place to wait out a rainstorm with a rum and a book.

mmmm…. MEAT

One of the cabins they rent out…

The Biathalon range
Old 07-11-2010, 06:20 PM

Duke wanting to play fetch …. AGAIN

Sweet blister, a culmination of a few weekends of recent hiking.

Deer coming to see us target shooting

My wife is a pretty decent shot actually

Limestone Creek

Didn’t go much farther than the bridge as up the hill there was a big sign for a 22% grade hill which looked interesting, but it said that all vehicles needed to have radios past this point. So, since I didn’t have a radio, I figured I didn’t want to tick off some shell employee….
Old 07-11-2010, 06:20 PM

So for the Limestone lookout trail, the last km or so to the radio towers is pretty rough driving but the F150 made it… albeit slowly
Kinda neat to drive above treeline before the hike starts.

Curious Marmot

You could see Moose Moutain to the south, to the North past Ram falls to the Cline River fire lookout. Miles and miles!

Old 07-11-2010, 06:21 PM

Outhouse with a view!

This fire lookout is being replaced this fall. This was built in the 60’s and being retired this year.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:28 PM

kool pics....thanks for sharing

MM