Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-08-2010, 07:19 PM

Default Mikisew Sport Fishing

Has anybody out there been able to get through to Mikisew Sport Fishing out of Ft. McMurray for booking next years lakes? Tried calling, sending e-mails, and direct numbers but haven't been able to through. Thx.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:40 PM

ya they are pretty un reliable. We use to go every year to Charles but the service has gotten worse over the years. They are very disorganized and Tim really ****ed off a few of my buddies the last year we went. The fishing also is not as good as it once was. If I was going to do a trip I would go to Lake Athabasca. The fishing is way better and for a few hundred bucks more you will be way happier. The lake trout fishing is night and day compared to Mikisew lakes and Ata-b has some of the biggest pike in the world !!! Last trip to Athabasca 6 pike over 44 inches. Last 3 trips to Charles biggest was 43 and only caught the one that big. I have guided on Great Bear, Great Slave and Ata-b and the all around best bang for your buck is Ath-B....
Old 12-10-2010, 03:41 PM

I've flown with Mikisew sport fishing for 10 years, some years going on multiple trips. Colin lake in mid-late August to the end of the fly in season is great, the trout gather near the mouth of the river and will jump all day long. There are lots of hidden drop off that hide big pike. Wylie lake, July-August for big pike, use a green spoon with black dots and troll into bays.
I recently moved south near the mountains so I haven't flown with them lately. I was hooked after my first trip and recommend it to everyone.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:40 PM

Mikisew Sportfishing used Air Mikisew to fly to their lakes until last summer. Air Mikisew had their papers pulled for some reason. We went to Charles North for July 1st and they hired a different charter co. to fly us in/ out. The cost to hire a different company was huge and Tim wasn't sure how or if they could continue to operate their camps. Hopefully they figure something out because we sure like our trips up there. (Even if Athabasca has more big fish.)
Old 12-14-2010, 12:38 AM

I thought Mikisew went under?
Old 12-14-2010, 10:30 AM

Default mikisew

Having fished at several of the shield lakes north of lake Athabasca with both Mikisew and Andrew Lakethe fishing Lodge & Outpost camps, I can say that I was more impressed with the latter. The reason being Dan has has his own air service. The fishing although good was not great. If your quest is trophy lakers there are better options imo. This spring in the last weekend of June I am taking a group of guys to Lake Athabasca via the Athabasca river. We are taking our own boats and will be using Indianhead Camp for our accomodations and meals. I have said it before and will say it again nothing beats the fishing on that lake. Just have to go to their website photo gallery to see what I mean.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:59 PM

Done that jetboat trip there from Mac. Guided on that lake for years. Good choice. Your going to have an absolute blast !!!! You will catch more fish there in a week then you will fishing normal lakes in a year. I can guarantee you it will be the furthest thing from DEAD fishing !!!!!! Travel very very early in the morning. I am going to book Indian Head myself in early July. Why mess around with other crap lakes. Ath-B is the best hands down !!!!!!