Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-02-2015, 10:19 PM
Banned

Default Mikisew trips

JUst wondering if anybody has gone it to any of their lakes yet this year? If so, did everything go as you expected re flights and accommodations? Was the fishing pretty good?

We are scheduled to go to Ryan lake on June 11th.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:57 AM

My friends are flying up to Wylie today, and I head to Colin on Sunday... I've been up a few times and have never had much of an issue with flights and accommodations.. have you been up there before? Accommodations are pretty minimalist but really the only time you'll spend in the cabin is sleeping and some cooking.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:48 AM

I'm curious as well. I know they did some renovations on some of the camps. I'm heading to Loutit August 26th.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:17 PM

Wylie for one has been upgraded... I'm not sure which other ones have been, but it was a huge step up from the original cabin.. very nice inside. All the cabins now also have solar power so there are outlets to charge cameras etc, lights, and electric fridges (vs the old propane ones). Colin lake has hot showers and hot running water, but has had for some time.

Overall, from where I sit the upgrades on the cabins are just a bonus... It's the solitude and the awesome fishing that makes it worth the trip for me.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:48 PM

No, not all of the cabins have solar power. The one's that do are Colin, North Charles, South Charles, Mclelland, & Wylie. The rest of the camps are propane.
Mcmurray Aviation is once again handling all there flights. And as far as the renovations go, Wylie was done inside with new flooring and paneling along with a tin roof and fresh exterior paint. And select others only got new tin roofs.
One other thing to note is that there is a total fire ban up there right now, so NO camp fires! Forestry is policing this out of Fort Chip via helicopter.

Let me know how it goes

Last edited by NEXL; 06-03-2015 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Adding more
Old 06-03-2015, 07:16 PM

That's a bummer not been able to have a shore lunch. I was thinking about that when they announced this fire ban. Sure hope it's not the case at the end of August.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:28 PM

I was in at Wylie last year at the beginning of July. The cabin redo is great. All the boats had new comfy seats as well. The fishing was great for numbers, just didn't seem to be able to find the big sizes.... But that was the 1st time there & not really knowing the lake mighty played into it. The early season trips in, did have a bear or 2 come visit as well they'd said.
Watch out for the ROCKS! Can't stress it enough, there's all kinds of random rocks just under the surface..... We had no issues with McMurray aviation doing the flights either.
I've been going into Mikisew camps for years & the only time we've had flight issues was either a rogue pilot trying to squeak in a freebie flight somewhere for his own reasons or equipment breakdowns. But that was a few years ago when they ran their own flights.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:09 PM

Default Colin Lake

Im heading up in a couple weeks, Just a quick couple questions if you guys don't mind!!

I typically fish pigeon and wabamun lake in about 10 feet of water, Never been skunked and catch all sizes My question is fishing in Colin lake where they have some pretty big fish (so I've been told) is that strategy going to work up there as well? or do I need to go into deeper water? Ive only been fishing for a couple years and still have lots to learn.

2nd Question- Lake Trout fishing 101 for that lake? Ive only ever caught Walleye & Pike on jigs @ spoons.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2015, 07:00 PM

It sorta depends on what time of year you're fishing munki..... I've only ever fished Colin & Wylie in early July, I've fished Cornwall & Charles in early June & they fish quite different I've found.
When you headed in?
Old 06-09-2015, 07:39 PM

Default Colin Lake

Munki,

I've been to the majority of the Mikisew lakes including Colin a couple of times(I leave for Charles Lake N tomorrow). Based on when you describe you are going, the lakers will be heading down into the deeper water but you should still find some smaller ones in water that is not too deep. Try along the west shore in the 2 holes separated by the sand bar and into the south west bay that accompanies the small stream that drains from the lake to the west of Colin. If you troll in 20 - 25 feet of water with a lure around 15 feet deep I expect you'll find a few lakers.

By the way - the large maps in the cabins with blue water- made by yours truly.

cutthroat
Old 06-09-2015, 07:55 PM

I'm heading up June 27th, do I need a down rigger or anything? Like I said I'm fairly new to the whole fishing thing but I'm totally … hooked
Old 06-09-2015, 07:56 PM

How fast do you troll for lakers? Or do you troll? Never caught one
Old 06-09-2015, 09:06 PM

Lol. You're going in right before us. We're headed in July 2.
I have caught lakers trolling spoons and swim baits there without a down rigger. But to be fair, I have done better in July with the rigger since the majority of the 1's I've caught seem to have been a bit deeper than when I've fished in early June. But I'm still trying to zone in on em for jigging rather than trolling. I keep hearing that's how to get into the lunkers.
The Jacks will be all over I've found. We've done well catching of few of them up to just shy of 20lbs in water from 3ft to over 40ft. The hooks I use on Colin are the same 1's I'll use at Pigeon ( just up sized ) .
Old 06-09-2015, 09:11 PM

Oh with The trolling speed , I like to switch it up. Nice & slow , then goosing it a bit to see if it makes any followers strike. It'll only take a few fish before you figure out how fast they like it......
Old 06-09-2015, 09:20 PM

do your self a favour and get Bondy Baits, lakers and big pike like them,
Old 06-09-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
do your self a favour and get Bondy Baits, lakers and big pike like them,
can anybody 2nd that?
Old 06-09-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soiler View Post
Lol. You're going in right before us. We're headed in July 2.
I have caught lakers trolling spoons and swim baits there without a down rigger. But to be fair, I have done better in July with the rigger since the majority of the 1's I've caught seem to have been a bit deeper than when I've fished in early June. But I'm still trying to zone in on em for jigging rather than trolling. I keep hearing that's how to get into the lunkers.
The Jacks will be all over I've found. We've done well catching of few of them up to just shy of 20lbs in water from 3ft to over 40ft. The hooks I use on Colin are the same 1's I'll use at Pigeon ( just up sized ) .
Oh man, the biggest fish I caught is around 8lbs! Im so excited, So jigging in 20-30' holes for lakers is the way to go? black jigs?
Old 06-09-2015, 09:58 PM

They get way bigger up there. Like I said, I haven't had much luck jigging for em but generally much deeper & I've been trying white tube jigs & stuff.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:44 PM
Banned

I can 2nd that. I would order a few from jon. Bondybait. Com . A couple full Size and a wabler and a hot orba. Pearl and burbot are good colors..
Quote:
Originally Posted by munki63 View Post
can anybody 2nd that?
Old 06-10-2015, 12:42 PM

My ol' lady wants to know how bad the bugs are, both at the cabin and while fishing lol
Old 06-10-2015, 06:54 PM

The Mosquitos can get bad but mostly on shore and in the bay's in the evening. They're not bad right now but later this month they'll get worse. If you are dead set on lakers I want ups bring a downrigger. Spoons and Rapalas will work but the ideal is frozen smelts with herring harnesses and toothpicks (not mint) are deadly. Bring a few dozen per guy if you can. If you're not concerned about lunkers you will catch them without downriggers using spoons and diving Rapalas. Try a black and silve or blue and silver "J12" jointed floating. The biggest thing about downriggers is that once you've found fish that are biting you can get back to them.

You should also try to appreciate the pike fishing. We hardly even fish for lakers now. After 15 trips I now pretty much go looking for massive pike. They're more fun to fish for and you get more action throughout the day. There is also nothing better than these cold water pike cooked as chunks in oil breaded with "shore lunch ". Pick some up (original recipe) at The Fishing Hole.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:01 PM

Regarding jigging.... It sounds perfect but we have not had great success with it. Trolling has always worked way better. Maybe we don't jig correctly. Bring a handful of number 2 five of diamonds (Len Thompson) with you. They work for the pike and the lakers. Always. I have had two trips where I have thrown nothing else. Please don't cheap out. The Len Thompson lures are made of brass and the weight is important.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:03 PM

I fly out to North Charles Lake in 13 hours. I'll let you know how we did when I get back.

Cutthroat
Old 06-10-2015, 07:58 PM

Good Luck. Catch some big ones!!
Old 06-10-2015, 10:55 PM

Ya, with the Mosquitos it depends on the year. The Horse flies on the other hand are always there if it's warm & if the wind dies down.
Downrigging works best for me but I haven't given up on the jigging yet. Gonna figure em out. Lol.
There are great pike in that lake. Just a matter of putting in the hook time & you'll find em all over....
Old 06-11-2015, 12:01 PM

Our group is heading to Cornwall lake on Saturday, I have a question about the fire ban in place. The provincially controlled "Colin-Cornwall Lakes Provincial Park" is under a total fire ban, but the area all around it is under a fire restriction only. Does this mean that within the park boundaries we are not allowed a fire at all? With the projected forcast in the area, for the next week, This seems a bit ridiculous. Anyone have any insight on this?
Old 06-11-2015, 12:56 PM

Parks have there own rules, do what you need to do just don't burn our church down
Old 06-11-2015, 04:16 PM

deanstr8, munki63, the park boundary encompasses all of Cornwall & Colin lake. As you know, there is a complete OPEN fire ban within that park. The fire restriction that is in place outside any provincial park in that area still means NO open fires in the back-country. ie, all the other Mikisew lakes. The projected forecast for that area has been changing as the days go by with lesser amounts of precipitation expected, along with the fact that there has been VERY little rain there this spring. There is also moderate winds predicted with this latest incoming system. (20-25 knts) Forestry is watching all the camps in NB4 for violators.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:40 PM

Banff National Park had a release out stating national parks don't fall under fire bans....I'm confused, doesn't matter tho I'm going to be in a boat!
Old 06-11-2015, 07:35 PM

The "Fire restriction" allows fires in a fire pit according to the Alberta Firebans website. But in the park it's a 100% ban. So it looks like no shore lunches or fires at all for now. They'll be watching for sure for violators for sure!