Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-01-2024, 04:40 PM

Default That was the most excitement I’ve had in awhile

Now that the weather is warm and I haven’t gone calling coyotes in a month I figured I better go.

I went to one of my favourite spots that never misses. I set up and hit the coyote locator, instantly what sounded like 50 screaming coyotes replied. Ok good now I know where they are. I then switched to adult cotton tail and it wasn’t long I spotted 4 on a little lake about 1/2 mile to the north. Coming at a full run, when they got to about 300 yards they disappeared behind a slight hill.
Not long after I’m not sure if they got my wind or what but 3 of them were headed at a full run back to the North East. I switched to coyote pup distress and the last one came up over the hill. Pop, 1 dog down. After waiting another 10 minutes and nothing showing up I figured it’s time to move.

As I pull in to my second stand of the day I see a coyote out on the field. I thought crap I’m probably busted before I’ve even started. I walked the 1/2 mile up the old road allowance. Bush and crown land on the West and pasture on the East. I get up to the spot where I want to call from and there is zero snow under the big spruce tree where I want to call from. I guess I didn’t need snow camo on.

The snow was really crunchy and I had probably spooked everything within a half mile but thought I would give it a whirl. I tried coyote locator. No response. I tried mouse distress. No response. I tried mag pie. No response. I then tried adult cotton tail with no response. I waited about 10 minutes and nothing showed up..

I looked at the timer on the fox pro and I had been sitting for 21 minutes. Usually I move after 20 minutes but thought I would give it one more shot.

I turned on the little decoy and hit adult cotton tail. Instantly I detected movement over my right shoulder about 20’ away. I swung my bipod over to be more in line with the call.

In a split second a rather large cougar was headed for my call. I lined up on it thinking man I wish the quotas weren’t already filled and it wasn’t it illegal to use an E caller for cats. Then the second cat appeared.

They were sniffing my decoy when the larger of the 2 cats grabbed my fox pro and took off back the same way it came with the caller squeaking in its mouth.

I yelled hey. The cat didn’t stop. I yelled hey again and now it stopped about 15-20 feet from me. It just stood there staring with the call squeaking away in its mouth. I yelled hey at least 4 more times before it dropped my call. I’m yelling at them as they both just stood there staring at me for about 15 seconds before they took off.

That may be one of the coolest things I’ve ever experienced in the bush, anyhow I need to go change my underwear.
Old 02-01-2024, 04:43 PM

That would be totally cool.

One of those moments when you wish you had a camera along.
Old 02-01-2024, 04:43 PM

Wow what a story to tell! Holy crup! That was simply awesome!
Old 02-01-2024, 04:59 PM

Awesome experience! Glad all worked out ok. Thanks for that.
Old 02-01-2024, 05:06 PM

Very exciting story and once in a life time experience
One question if you were hunting private land and got the land owner to give permission to shoot predators can you get permission to shoot cougars ? If so you could have shot the cougars.
I thought I heard this is possible now
Old 02-01-2024, 05:15 PM

I had permission for coyotes, not for cats. It still would have been illegal cause I was using an E caller.
Old 02-01-2024, 05:17 PM

Well that’s a cool and scary story at the same time , seems like they were not that scared of you
Old 02-01-2024, 05:17 PM

Awesome experience nevertheless...Thanx for sharing!...
Old 02-01-2024, 05:24 PM

I don’t think they saw me at all until I started yelling at them. They were so focused on that call and decoy. Even after they dropped the call they just kind of trotted away. I’m kind of glad I wasn’t using a hand call.
Old 02-01-2024, 05:39 PM

Yep, that would be a really neat experience!
Old 02-01-2024, 05:55 PM

What size of undies do you wear? I’ll donate a fresh new pair of Fruit of The Looms for sharing that story. I’ve never called in a cat before but, I have no doubt, I’d likey defile the sanctity of my shame cave in that situation. Wicked story!
Old 02-01-2024, 05:57 PM

Crazy stuff!

One of those things I always have in the back of my mind when I'm using mouth calls... Those rotten cats...
Old 02-01-2024, 06:48 PM

Well, that’s pretty awesome! Great story!
Old 02-01-2024, 06:49 PM

I called in cougar four years ago south east of Wetaskiwin, who would have thunk. It came into 19 yards and then when I moved a bit to get a better picture, it went into stalking mode. I dropped the camera and put the cross hairs on it and started to explain why I didn't want to shoot it. It understood English quite well, and after waving my one arm, it stood up and slowly walked away. If I could figure out how to post a picture, I would.

I also have put in a formal motion through the AFGA to allow cougar hunting with E-callers, but it died in the vote. With the cougar numbers increasing, it would give a guy without dogs a bit of a chance to get one. And what a nice bonus it would be for us coyote and wolf hunters.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:54 PM

Cool and exciting, you got to get yourself a Tactacam Solo Extreme and clip it to the bottom of your barrel, I have one and you get some cool videos,

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-01-2024, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Cool and exciting, you got to get yourself a Tactacam Solo Extreme and clip it to the bottom of your barrel, I have one and you get some cool videos,
Better yet get a Shotkam Gen4...it has 8x zoom capability and much better clarity.
Old 02-01-2024, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I had permission for coyotes, not for cats. It still would have been illegal cause I was using an E caller.
Your right very cool story
Old 02-01-2024, 08:02 PM

That is an experience to enjoy.......after said cleaning Nature has some dang neat stuff every so often!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-01-2024, 08:50 PM

Well if that’s not a reason to get that 1301 I don’t know what is lol.

Cool story, them kitties are multiplying like crazy!
Old 02-01-2024, 09:50 PM

Awesome experience and a great write up as well. Keep slaying those yotes. Dirty ole deer killing cats. It sucks that the quota is so low.
Old 02-01-2024, 09:54 PM

That would be such a rush!
After the butt wiping, of course.
Old 02-01-2024, 09:59 PM

Killer experience!
Old 02-02-2024, 06:28 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

So cool, last thing I would have thought was get the phone out and start recording as I am sure it happened real quick.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-05-2024, 08:32 AM

What WMU were you hunting? That’s one critter I have yet to come to call but with their population increasing I’m sure its just a matter of time.