Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2010, 09:57 PM

Default Intro.

Hi fellas. I'm new here and would like to introduce myself. My name's Pete and I really love the outdoors. I like camping,hiking,bush survival,knife collecting(and using!) ,fishing,canoeing, driving my jeep, and I'm a musician as well.
I'm looking forward to sharing pics and stories and stuff with you guys. I presently live in Edmonton. Thanks

(ps: My wife's Filipino ,and Hiwa means "slice" in Tagalog)
Old 07-12-2010, 09:59 PM

Welcome to the forum. You'll meet some great folks and learn lots here. I know I have!
Old 07-12-2010, 10:02 PM

Talking

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it. I'm also a member of Bladeforums ,but wanted to talt to some more locals and get more knowledge of my area.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:05 PM

welcome Hiwa, sounds like you have a lot to share. There are quite a few guys/gals from Edmonton on here
Old 07-12-2010, 10:12 PM

Welcome to the AO forum Hiwa.
Hope to see some of your pictures and stories in the future.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 07-12-2010, 10:28 PM

I just got back to work today from vacation I spent about 5 days at Wolf Lake with my wife and 8 yr.old son fishing in our canoe,doing bushcraft, and hiking. We did some plinking as well. A black bear passed about 50 ft. from our campsite while we where having coffee in the morning. I just got there the night before, and hadn't taken my camera out yet. I told them to go in the Jeep in case he wanted to get closer, but he just kept waliking along, eyeing us.
That was about my 3rd close encounter with a bear. I thought that was pretty cool. My boy was a little freaked out at first, but later really appreciated the experience. My wife hardly reacted at all. She's really cool headed ,and very knowledgable in the bush also. Not a big gun fan , though she can handle knives, firestarting, fishing including cleaning them! ,and other camp stuff.
I'm trying to teach my son all I can , but at 8 he has very little patience. Time will change that I guess.
I don't hunt much anymore ,but I still own a few guns. My main ones are two model 94's- one .22 mag,the other a 30-30. A .303 brit., Mossberg 12 Ga.,Winchester 16 ga.,A .410 single , a pile of .22's ,etc.
My knife collection is pretty huge. That's one of my main hobbys. You name it , I probably got it.
I'm trying to find places near Edmonton that I can practice my bushcraft skills without going to a "campsite." Public land, accessible by Jeep , where I can stay overnight and have a fire. Anyone have any suggestions? Just outside the city would be best as I've checked out most of the local stuff.
Thanks.