Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

View Poll Results: If cost was not a factor, what scope would you choose for your favourite hunting rifle if had to kee
Zeiss 35 19.02%
Swarovski 64 34.78%
Leupold 43 23.37%
Nightforce 23 12.50%
Kahles 1 0.54%
Leica 5 2.72%
Other (Please reply as to what Other you chose) 13 7.07%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2011, 07:33 PM

Swarovski but just because of the money thing, other then that Leupold would be my choice I have one on everyone of my guns..
Old 01-09-2011, 08:52 PM

Can't wait for gopher season.

http://www.snipercentral.com/milletttrs.htm

Rings are coming from Germany (align honed and lapped) for my CZ452 Varmint.

I can't wait, the suspense is killing me!

http://www.bigrivertactical.com/cata...80/4081421.htm
Old 01-10-2011, 07:22 PM

Elkhunter11,
For everyones sake understand this: not many find your contributions helpful, informative, and hardly entertaining. You often state opinions that have ridiculous statements behind them that we are supposed to accept as fact though they often defy logic.
I am up for reasonable debate where proven facts and believable experience are exchanged to justify opposing opinions. But you often resort to ridicule because your foundation is weak, and your reading comprehension baffles most, most often interpreted out of context.
The contribution you have given to this thread proves this again, and frankly, I am disappointed that anyone, including myself, has bothered to respond to you.
I am very familiar with quite a few of the product lines out there.
Now back to ignore.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you intend to bring them back from the USA, be aware that a permit(from the US authorities) is required to legally export rifle scopes from the USA.The US authorities are setting up more check stops on the US side of the border,and getting caught exporting rifle scopes,firearms,firearms components,ammunition,or reloading components out of the USA without a permit is a federal offense, that can result in your goods being seized,and you being barred from entering the USA.I am just mentioning this because some people are not aware of the US export regulations,and I would hate to see someone get themselves into trouble because they don't know the regulations.
I brought 3 bushnells back and called customs before I did it and they said there was no problem, I even claimed them when I landed in Calgary
Old 01-10-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
You often state opinions that have ridiculous statements behind them that we are supposed to accept as fact though they often defy logic.
Perhaps it's a by product of your line of work,and you expecting to have unquestioned authority,but contrary to what you believe,just because some else's experiences don't agree with your opinion,they don't have to defy logic.You might try going elsewhere to attempt to intimidate people,because it isn't working here.

Quote:
I am up for reasonable debate where proven facts and believable experience are exchanged to justify opposing opinions.
I related actual experiences but once again,they don't match your opinion,so to you,they are dismissed as unbelievable.

Quote:
The contribution you have given to this thread proves this again, and frankly, I am disappointed that anyone, including myself, has bothered to respond to you.
But you just had to post in order to once again get up on your soapbox,and take another opportunity to lecture someone.As I said,I will just assume that it is your line of work,and your desire for authority that leads you to this behavior.At least you aren't out kicking innocent victims in the face.

Quote:
I am very familiar with quite a few of the product lines out there.
Yes as we have already read "at a few points in life",and maybe even some of those points may have been with recently manufactured optics,but then again ,perhaps not.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims71duster View Post
I brought 3 bushnells back and called customs before I did it and they said there was no problem, I even claimed them when I landed in Calgary
Just because you did it doesn't make it right. It's not customs that you have to worry about, it's the guys that are going to get you before you get there. You need a permit period. Tell that to an American judge that Canada Customs said it was alright. LOL. Don't think he will care.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
If you called Canada Customs,that is no surprise,because the laws requiring export permits are US laws.As such,Canada customs doesn't care.Had you been searched by Homeland Security on the US side of the border,you would not have brought those scopes into Canada.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:28 AM

Again, an attack on the person. It would surprise you what I do for a living, as I guarantee you that you're wit is only good at assumptions.
You aren't wikipedia, so my last suggestion is stop pretending you are, for all of us.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
It is interesting to look at light tranmission numbers for sure. You are correct that virtually all coated decent quality optics today are between 90 and 95%. What that difference means to the human eye is not a whole lot. Interestingly, some of the highest end glass is actually a percent or two lower than mid-range glass for light transmission.

In a few tests I've seen, the Leupold actually rated higher by a couple percent than the Swaro.
It really is interesting. With the distance lense coatings have come the three things I concern myself with most are durability, reticle, and contrast. And really in that order.
If I was to hunt a large percentage in low light I would probably use a heavy duplex or post, if it is a prairie/mountain/foothills rifle I would use an drop compensating reticle, or fine duplex and turrets, and if I didn't care, I love a German #4. They are fast and classy.
I know Leupolds and Bauschnells are rugged, and so are NF.
The Zeiss and Swaros are beautiful and I may try one at the right price. By the Gold Ring has served me well and I will stick with them for now.
Maybe I'll rum into you at the range one day and you can show me how one o the fancy Z800's work one day too
Old 01-11-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Again, an attack on the person.
And you are the expert on that,given your posts directed towards myself.So much for ignore,you just had to come back to lecture some more.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:16 AM

I picked Swarovski because of the ballistic turret. I like the idea of being able to actually zero my rifle for a specific yardage, rather than a generic setting based on a ballistic program.
Just a personal thing. I can change loads and re-zero the scope. Change rifles and re-zero the scope.
I have a custom Leupold turret on my 22-250 and love it, but that's it. It will be a bother to change loads, etc.

Other than that, I'd go with Leupold. Yes a Swarovski is nicer than a VX-3, but it costs more, and is a better scope. I find all the optics clarity, light gathering, and everything else on that line of thinking comparable when comparing a VX-7 to a Swarovski. I mean really guys, lets compare apples to apples. We all have our tastes but bad mouthing a $700 scope because it can't compare to a $1700 scope is a little bit in poor taste.

While that comparison hasn't really happened in this thread, I do see it a lot. And yes, I realize I'm using $700 vs $1700 as generic prices. I'm doing that to make a point. I realize you can buy either scope for more and less depending on the bells & whistles.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:18 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
It really is interesting. With the distance lense coatings have come the three things I concern myself with most are durability, reticle, and contrast. And really in that order.
If I was to hunt a large percentage in low light I would probably use a heavy duplex or post, if it is a prairie/mountain/foothills rifle I would use an drop compensating reticle, or fine duplex and turrets, and if I didn't care, I love a German #4. They are fast and classy.
I know Leupolds and Bauschnells are rugged, and so are NF.
The Zeiss and Swaros are beautiful and I may try one at the right price. By the Gold Ring has served me well and I will stick with them for now.
Maybe I'll rum into you at the range one day and you can show me how one o the fancy Z800's work one day too
Yup.....with as good coatings are today.....light transmission is pretty well a moot point in scope selection.

Be happy to let you shoot the Zeiss anytime.