Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-04-2014, 11:34 AM

Default Flyfishing for Pike

I've spent the vast majority of my fishing time in my belly boat fishing for trout. One of the things on my bucket list is to catch a few pike on my fly rod.

I'm just wondering how most people flyfish for pike, and by that I mean do you fish from a boat, from shore, pontoon / belly boat? I'm just trying to think about netting / controlling the fish so it's not injured, and try to subdue one from my belly boat seems to be asking for trouble! I have a good idea of what flies to try and the techniques to fish them, but not really how to "boat them" so to speak. Are you guys using catch & release nets, cradles, or some other method?

Any tips are appreciated.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:03 PM

My favorite style is wading near shore. Being able to stand while casting flys offers the most advantages from my experiences. A boat you can stand in would be my preference but I sure would like to try a pontoon.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:44 PM

Pike fishing on the fly is a blast! I've done it from a canoe and wading near shore. I wouldn't try it from a belly boat though, any boat that keeps you above the water would be ok.

I'd make sure to have a large rubber meshed net on hand if you're fishing from a boat though. They get badly tangled in nylon netting. I wouldn't worry about injuring pike either, they are practically bullet proof, as long as you don't pick them up by the gills you're ok.

If you applied your trout handling techniques to a pike you'd be doing way more than your part. Nothing wrong with using the best safe handling techniques though, cheers!
Old 03-04-2014, 02:20 PM

Ive flyfished for pike off of a 9' pontoon boat with with a standing platform. It was awesome for pike! Stealthy, stable and cost efficient! I had a net but didnt use it, I used a glove for grabbing and mouth/jaw spreaders if necessary and long nose pliers. If you do use the jaw spreaders i would advise taping the ends as they can do damage to the fishes mouth parts. Im know expert on pike these are just my findings so far. Have fun and as mentioned above, Pike on the fly is a blast!!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2014, 02:23 PM

if your around calgary or south of there, head to Badger Lake. Its small and has big fish. Be wary of the Badger Breeze, she gets a tab bit windy out there!
Old 03-04-2014, 04:41 PM

Talking

Agreed pike on the fly is great fun. I have done it in a belly boat it's not too bad. Big fish can be a pain in the ass to land but can be done. The thing that's nice about it is you can find mid lake flats that pike love in the spring. With your flippers on you don't sink in the mud either. Think snow shoes.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:26 PM

Its tough to chuck big streamers from a belly boat but it can be done and when u hook a 20 pounder your in for some big fun
Old 03-04-2014, 06:37 PM

I use a pontoon boat. I found a net works best to control the fish and allow hook removal. Although I have jaw spreaders, I found that long needle nose work just fine if you slide your fingers inside the gill plate and tip the fish up slightly. The pike usually open up.
Here is post I made last fall regarding pike.
http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=196332

Regards,

Don
Old 03-06-2014, 05:30 PM

Fishing for pike on a pontoon boat, from shore or an old aluminum all boat work well. It is definitely a blast. I can't say I've ever tried pike fishing from a belly boat. It should work but I would think your arm would get a little sore from chucking the larger flies and being so low to the water.

I don't net them unless absolutely necessary; usually just grab the fly in a pair of long needle nose pliers or long hemostats and give it a quick flip. I'll admit to breaking off a few and getting a bit chewed up this way but I'd rather not net a fish even with a rubber net. Bring them in a quick as possible and let 'em go as soon as possible. If they swallow it I cut the line as close to fish as possible and say goodbye to another fly.

I'll sadly admit the biggest pike we've ever got close enough to release was only about 6lbs., so with a larger fish you' might have a bit more difficulty in a belly boat.
We've caught many small pike (5lbs and under) and still trying for the big girls

Don't try to "lip" 'em!

I had to slide this picture of a walleye in 'cuz they are also fun to catch on the fly

craftsman saw 021.jpg

craftsman saw 011.jpg

craftsman saw 007.jpg

Last edited by pipco; 03-06-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:16 PM

I have caught my largest pike wading in waist deep water from shore....if you hook into a 40+ inch fish you can back up and get them in shallow water for a safe release.

LC
Old 03-06-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipco View Post
Fishing for pike on a pontoon boat, from shore or an old aluminum all boat work well. It is definitely a blast. I can't say I've ever tried pike fishing from a belly boat. It should work but I would think your arm would get a little sore from chucking the larger flies and being so low to the water.

I don't net them unless absolutely necessary; usually just grab the fly in a pair of long needle nose pliers or long hemostats and give it a quick flip. I'll admit to breaking off a few and getting a bit chewed up this way but I'd rather not net a fish even with a rubber net. Bring them in a quick as possible and let 'em go as soon as possible. If they swallow it I cut the line as close to fish as possible and say goodbye to another fly.

I'll sadly admit the biggest pike we've ever got close enough to release was only about 6lbs., so with a larger fish you' might have a bit more difficulty in a belly boat.
We've caught many small pike (5lbs and under) and still trying for the big girls

Don't try to "lip" 'em!

I had to slide this picture of a walleye in 'cuz they are also fun to catch on the fly

Attachment 87953

Attachment 87954

Attachment 87955
I have never tried to fish for those toothy critters.looks like fun..I'd make sure that i was wearing a PFD..
Old 03-08-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I've spent the vast majority of my fishing time in my belly boat fishing for trout. One of the things on my bucket list is to catch a few pike on my fly rod.

I'm just wondering how most people flyfish for pike, and by that I mean do you fish from a boat, from shore, pontoon / belly boat? I'm just trying to think about netting / controlling the fish so it's not injured, and try to subdue one from my belly boat seems to be asking for trouble! I have a good idea of what flies to try and the techniques to fish them, but not really how to "boat them" so to speak. Are you guys using catch & release nets, cradles, or some other method?

Any tips are appreciated.
I recommend fishing while wearing waders. My favorite is to use a floating mouse imitation along some cattails on a quick drop off. One of my favorite locations to use this method is a Newell. Typically the pike there are ready and willing to take a fly.

I recommend having a net with you though, because when hooked on a fly, sometimes the pike are a lot less than cooperative. Make sure that you put on some serious strong line for the pike though. Their teeth will saw right though most fly fishing line.

I really recommend doing dry before you try streamer. It is so exciting to have a large pike come torpedoing out of the water for your fly. But a streamer caught fish is also awesome!

Good luck, and tight lines!
Old 03-08-2014, 07:06 PM

over the last 50 or so years I've fly fished for them from the dock, from shore, waded, from a boat, canoe, everywhere.
Used everything from 4 to 10 weight rods and everything from ginormous streamers to small bugs. Caught 20 pounders to not much larger than a Dahlberg Mega Diver!
Never gets old, even with the small ones!
Cat
Old 03-10-2014, 01:18 AM

Default It is fun

Still haven't managed to get out in early spring to catch them on mice and frogs near the reeds but have fished for them from boat with wooly buggers and a big ole "chuck and duck" streamer on weighted line. Caught a couple dozen one day at Winifred lake. Including this 15 pounder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (46.8 KB, 38 views)
Old 03-10-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
Still haven't managed to get out in early spring to catch them on mice and frogs near the reeds but have fished for them from boat with wooly buggers and a big ole "chuck and duck" streamer on weighted line. Caught a couple dozen one day at Winifred lake. Including this 15 pounder.
If you are in town the day of the opener and the water level is right, hit the mouth of the Mackay at 00:01!
You can fish all night and the walleye are running at the same time the pike are hitting, it's awesome!
Some years the water has been too high however, and the beach isn't there.
If the water is low however, it's an absolute riot, with large pike in the teens and walleye sometimes as long as 27+ inches!
One year I watched as a young fisrt time flyer fisher landed a 29" 'eye with her 6 weight!!
Cat
Old 03-10-2014, 08:17 AM

Here is an opening day fish caught wading...44 inches, released for another day.
8wt fly rod with a homemade pattern.

LC
Old 03-10-2014, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'm looking forward to some warmer weather soon.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:06 PM

here's one from about 20 years ago caught on an 8wht fiberglass Hheddon rod with one of my own flies called the terminator- basically a short streamer tied on a Fernandez style modified Mustad 37140 2/0 hook

Cat