Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2015, 09:59 AM

Default Expert boiler guys

Here's my deal; I'm currently at lock-up building my own quasi passive solar house south west of Etown. The house has 12" thick walls that I'll fill with dense pack cellulose fibre insulation. It faces directly south with lots of south facing, triple pane windows. The main floor of the house is 1615sq ft and will have about 2.5inches of concrete for it's floor. The basement will start with 4" of eps foam and then 4" of concrete. I'm going to run hydronic lines in the concrete on both floors.
I'm thinking of slapping a viessmann Vitodens WB1B-35 in to take care of my space heating and DHW. I'll also run a loop out to my 27'x32' attached garage.
I'm also going to be putting this http://www.whitfield.com/products/fireplaces/montecito/ on the main floor and hopefully ducting half of it's heat to the basement below. I foresee myself using the fireplace lots.
I had a design heat loss calc. done on my house and it's 4500watts at -36C (Edmonton).
Some guys with experience in these passive solar homes are telling me the in-floor heat is redundant but I don't care. If I'm going to have to live with concrete floors for the rest of my life then they better at least be warm.
Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of running the in floor lines by myself and then finding a mechanical guy to tie it all in. I'm an electrician by trade and, not to knock anyone but, I haven't worked with a plumber who is really really good with boilers.
Should I get the whole thing professionally designed? I'm worried about how my fireplace will work in conjunction with my boiler and HRV.