Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2015, 08:15 AM
Gone Hunting

Default Fences..chain link vs wood

Planning on fencing a potion of our yard this spring for the dog. We have a large double lot and would prefer to fence off 1/3-1/2 of it. Those with experience , is there advantages of chain link over wood ( I have always done wood)?, cost?, durability etc?
Old 03-01-2015, 08:35 AM

I would go chain link. More expensive to start but no maintaince ever. No paint. No rotting.

Less your only staying there for a few years. Then go cheap. hehe

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 03-01-2015, 08:38 AM

Had the same decision 2-3 years ago. Got a quote from Totem at the time for wood fence to do one side of the yard and the material itself was $1500.
Don't remember if it was cedar or pressure treated wood. Went with chain link and the vinyl privacy slats and that cost was 2300-2400 installed. For me the advantage of no maintenance won out. Not as private as a wood fence but that was not a high priority for us on that side of the yard.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:42 AM

Not too sure about the rules where you live but there is a bylaw where I am that chain link is not allowed. Silly rule but might be worth finding out town/city rules for stuff like that. My votes goes for wood, a little more private and looks better too.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:41 AM

Default cosmetic

its all about the looks...... I personaly think chain fencing is not that nice looking, now wood you can do some amazing things. just my opinion
Old 03-01-2015, 09:48 AM

Smile chain link

I put one up 5 years ago and never looked back. If you choose chain link, I recommend the galvanized stuff. The plastic coated stuff looks good for a while but then deteriorates and looks like hell, just like a poorly maintained wood fence needing paint.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:19 AM

Default Fences

I have done both and I would go with chain link. No maintenance and higher resale value down the road. You can get inserts for privacy. If you are building either along the property boundary and are splitting costs, go with chain link otherwise, you will need to depend on your neighbor for maintaining their side of the fence.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:23 AM
Gone Hunting

I have installed miles of both. There's a lot of things to consider, and initial cost is down the list from my POV.

What kind of dog? Are you just putting the fence in to confine the dog or do you hate your neighbours?

How high? Some dogs can easily climb C/L.

Maintenance isn't that big of a deal. Wood fence, properly stained when it is installed will last for years before it needs to be redone. Some wood fences I put up in the early 80's are still working fine.

Aesthetics? Some wooden fences can be very attractive and an integral part of the landscaping. C/L not so much.
C/L offers different colored vinyl or privacy slats, but it's like putting lipstick on a pig. Makes for a sexy pig, but still a pig.

I like a kennel with a concrete slab for a dog, and a fence for part of the landscaping.
I did put in nearly 400 feet of grapestake fence spaced a little narrower than my Jack RusselX. Stained both side white. and then redid the railing and panels around my second story deck to keep the little turd in. Of course the deck panels were custom made with no gap bigger than that dog.
A couple weeks later she got past one of the kids and ran out in front of Mr Singh's van. That dog is nearly 15 years old now and slowing down.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-01-2015, 10:48 AM

I prefer tin, blocks the wind, difficult for anything/one to climb, private, low maintence.. Doesn't look as good as wood and bit harder to install. Dig pilings deeper so fence doesn't sail off through the neighborhood.
I used green band 2-7/8" tubing for piles, from a gas well, oil company didn't want them. Been a great fence for the last 12 years.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
I would go chain link. More expensive to start but no maintaince ever. No paint. No rotting.

Less your only staying there for a few years. Then go cheap. hehe

This is my choice too and dog can see who's out there and they can see dog inside, guessing big guard dog
Old 03-01-2015, 12:04 PM

Chain link is ugly. Wood for sure.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:11 PM

Hmm buck the trend. Go PVC fence no fuss looks good just about forever. Yes more expensive but real privacy.