Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2011, 04:31 PM

Default Province urges ATV users to postpone riding season

CALGARY – A late spring is causing concern for the province about ATV users over the May long weekend.

Alberta Sustainable Resources says the frost it just beginning to come out of the ground meaning the soil is extremely soft and susceptible to damage.

It also means off-highway vehicles will easily get stuck so they’re better off staying away until conditions improve.

“We are monitoring the situation and there is a possibility we may put restrictions on off-highway vehicle use and and random camping depending on what the conditions are like next week,” says Roger Meyer, Land Management Officer.

Campgrounds and recreational areas near Castle Mountain still have several metres of snow on the ground.

Roger says outdoor enthusiasts may want to think about extending the snowmobiling season instead.

© Copyright (c) Shaw Media Inc.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...#ixzz1MH4Pf8a6
Old 05-13-2011, 04:48 PM

I'm for it
It would fix 2 problems
the party animals and ground shredders have ruined it for everybody,responceable ATV owners have no desire to go out and destroy the area, I can wait till it dries up and have no problems staying on established trails.
If they change there party to another weekend I have no problem with closers
That and more people getting involved by calling SRD and RCMP is the only way to fix it
I have been involved in cleanup with my club after a few of these partys and it is unbelieveable what they can destroy in 3 days
Old 05-13-2011, 04:57 PM

I know some peeps get carrried away but i have 4wd for a reason and thats to chew chew chew until i am stuck GIT R DONE
Old 05-13-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Git r Done View Post
I know some peeps get carrried away but i have 4wd for a reason and thats to chew chew chew until i am stuck GIT R DONE
That is fine.... Chew chew chew on your own land.
Then get yourself unstuck and chew chew chew again ON YOUR OWN LAND
Old 05-13-2011, 05:07 PM

Well GIT R DONE as soon as you can because they are closing areas PERMANENTLY for next year
Old 05-13-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
people like you kill it for everyone else
Old 05-13-2011, 06:20 PM

i just go through a mudhole if see one if there are signs prohibiting something i obey.

Last edited by admin; 05-16-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:58 PM

Git r Done I spent a fair amount of cash on an 800cc machine and morons like you are going to turn my bike into a lawn ornament. Thanks in advance bud. I'm sure it's going to look great parked by the bird feeder.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
i just go through a mudhole if see one if there are signs prohibiting something i obey.
You should not need sighnage to avoid a wetland, waterbody, or a area that will be prone to erosion after you make your mark.

Buy land rent a trackhoe and make your own mudhole if its that important to ya.

Last edited by admin; 05-16-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:02 PM

I usually don't floor the throttle unless i'm on hard packed dry dirt, on a pavement range road or on sandy terrain. If its mucky I will put my ATV into 4WD and be very easy on the throttle in puddles and very mucky areas.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:16 AM

I tend to avoid deeper mud holes and water. At my age it's just simply too much work to get unstuck, and it's a pain in the hind-end to clean the machine at home; after washing all the sticky mud off, which gets as hard as concrete by the time I get home, I then have to wash the whole driveway. I'll go through holes slowly, easy on the throttle, where I know the bottom is hard-packed and the water/mud won't go over my boots, or risk flooding the machine out!

Up here one day last year I saw one machine abandoned (I assume temporarily) in a mud hole so deep the mud was over the seat! From the trail and terrain being all ripped up all around I assume the operator and buddies had tried to extract it but it was too stuck. Why even go into such spots ? Usually there is a trail going around anyway; and if not just go back and find another trail to ride on.

Oh, and usually there's a pile of empty beer cans scattered around too; I don't mind, I take a bag and pick 'em up to return for deposit money. I collect more than enough to put gas in my machine for the year.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:18 AM

Its been my experience when there is still frost in the ground on the may long weekend that quadding across muskeg is actually easier. The quads dont sink as far and you can just idle through. But then I dont look to rip it up, just cruise along enjoying the ride and sights.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:06 AM

I've seen guys who bring in water pumps to creat mud holes when its to dry. Some people just don't get it.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:25 PM

ATV's will soon be banned on public land due to guys like Git r dun and their attitudes

up where I hunt the damage is extensive and permanent.

you want to see REAL Damage, take a look at the Polar Bear denning area up in Churchill MB area. it would probably take a 1000 years to repair if they banned everyone from there.

you do NOT need to wreck the trails you ride on
Old 05-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Banned

Default that's funny...

I've been urging the government to quit taxing me so much.