Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2012, 09:46 PM

Default Lawsuit Launched in Mountain Aire Lodge horse fiasco

We knew it was coming, and I think most of us wish him success, despite the fact that the settlement will come from our taxes. They should really structure such settlements to be paid from the RCMP pension fund, in all fairness; they'll play more fairly when it hits them in the pocketbook, instead of Joe public's wallet.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/new...-killing-horse

There was a piece on it in today's Calgary Herald as well. This link looks a smidge older.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 05-23-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:01 PM

Oh yeah, IBTL
Old 05-23-2012, 10:06 PM

Too bad bob Henderson wont be held accountable with the 'wild horse society'.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I would assume that the plaintiffs legal team gave that angle the attention it was due, but that no avenue of legal recourse was possible. Perhaps a successful suit against the RCMP might offer them the financial resources with which to 'spread some joy' his way, legally speaking of course.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:11 PM
Banned

4 million is to much.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
4 million is to much.
They have to start a bit high, as the settlements awarded by the courts are usually less than what the suit claims. Remember that the plaintiffs lawyers get a significant cut of that as well. Even if successful, these men won't be retiring on yachts.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
They have to start a bit high, as the settlements awarded by the courts are usually less than what the suit claims. Remember that the plaintiffs lawyers get a significant cut of that as well. Even if successful, these men won't be retiring on yachts.
Ah yes, I did not take that into account. Fair enough then, How much could one individual expect to see out of this 4 mil then?
Old 05-23-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
Ah yes, I did not take that into account. Fair enough then, How much could one individual expect to see out of this 4 mil then?
The courts will decide. Right or wrong.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:22 PM

these guys are suing the wrong person, they should be suing the guy who made the false claims, rcmp did there job and so did the crown. they should of went threw victim assitance instead of the courts cheaper for them and they would probably walk away with more money.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:26 PM

I think a significant point to the suit is to give the officers associated with this travesty a good old-fashioned dressing down and public shaming. They were unprofessional and overzealous about it.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:53 PM
Banned

I'm not sure how you can go ahead and put people through the wringer on a junky's word who could in all likelihood be motivated by the reward money and no other evidence.........."The Mounties have stated the carcass was too badly decomposed to provide any evidence."

I wouldn't hold the investigating Officers responsible, they just gather evidence and provide it to the Prosecutors who in turn decide whether or not charges should be laid.......or at least that's my understanding. The way that I see it is that the RCMP is going to end up wearing the fiasco instead of the legal beagles that called the shots. Someone screwed up and they need to be held accountable though.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:29 AM

^^^ Good post, Dave.

While I'd love to see a couple of zeros behind that 4, I can understand their point. Basically chump change that will lead to a quick behind-the-scenes settlement where no one gets held accountable, and the guys get a few bucks in order to get their lives back on track again. I wish them all the best.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:04 AM

What a surprise, the RCMP have screwed up again.

How many embarrassing incidents will it take before the government realizes they would be better off without the RCMP?

Last edited by Hagalaz; 05-24-2012 at 01:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-24-2012, 01:11 AM

Just out of curiousity did this occur on the Trunk Road, the Ya-Ha-Tinda Road or the Panther River Road (or another unamed resource road in the area)?
Old 05-24-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
x2. I see he came out of hiding and was bitching about the number of horses being captured and how they would possibly end up at slaughter. I think Bob really needs to get a Life.

Bob Scammell wrote an interesting collum on the whole business a few weeks ago. Can't sem to find it.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 05-24-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Noel View Post
Just out of curiousity did this occur on the Trunk Road, the Ya-Ha-Tinda Road or the Panther River Road (or another unamed resource road in the area)?
Pictures I saw looked like it was the T intersection, near the old ranger station.

Grizz
Old 05-24-2012, 10:23 AM

If I had a couple years of my life not just ruined but smeared beyond all recognition in front of a whole country I would be after more than what they are and I would make it as personal as possible. I can't imagine the embarassment, harrassment and public scorn that they had to deal with. They deserve to enjoy the next few years on the dime of those that screwed them over. Given the extremely poor way in which this situation was handled I think it is very fair that this money should come directly out of salaries and pensions of all those involved as a result of the lynch mob. Public money should not be used to clear this case.