Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-02-2009, 08:29 AM

Default Pushing Sales

This message board is for the sharing of information among hunters, anglers and trappers. It is NOT for the promotion of products or services by businesses.

Can't we keep it that way. Selling the odd item seems fine to me, but not continually pushing a store.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:48 AM

Care to expand on that a little bit??
Old 11-02-2009, 09:44 AM

I thought that was what the buy sell section was for??
Old 11-02-2009, 10:33 AM

I'm guessing this is about the Reel Doctor. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with those posts. They were made as direct responses to a query.

There are times when I've asked for advice regarding a product or service, and an answer has been given supporting a manufacturer or merchant.

If they weren't made as direct responses, then I agree with you that they don't belong here (but rather over in the "Buy & Sell" forum).

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:37 AM

Yes, I was speaking of the Reel Doctor. DarkAisling, almost every post on here could be answered by stores pushing themselves if you want to get down to it. When I see 3-4 consecutive posts answered with sales pitches, I just think it is wrong. Just my opinion though.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:46 AM

Disagree. If someone asks a question I see no problem with someone else recommending a particular product or service. If I'm the one doing the asking I WANT that sort of input.
What I have a problem with is a few people using the buy and sell section when it seems that they aren't getting rid of a few things, but selling a large amount of product on a regular basis. Actually, I don't even have that big a problem with that, though I think Rob M may, since the advertiser should really be paying him. But if he doesn't cut it off who am I to complain? I don't have to open the thread.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie55 View Post
Yes, I was speaking of the Reel Doctor. DarkAisling, almost every post on here could be answered by stores pushing themselves if you want to get down to it. When I see 3-4 consecutive posts answered with sales pitches, I just think it is wrong. Just my opinion though.
Then perhaps the entire Buy & Sell section should be taken out. Even if you are selling a used item, you are still selling a company name.
How is a small business supposed to grow when they can't use free advertising?? I could see a problem if Orvis or Sage started posting prices and sales, but not a local business.
I think if you were in their position, you would do the same because I know I would.
He also did respond to the thread trying to help the forum member
Just my opinion
cheers
Old 11-02-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie55 View Post
But how's Trevor going to afford all those accesories for his tournament boat? lol