Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-23-2017, 03:48 PM

Default Blue Green Algae - How serious is it?

Maybe a noobie question, but just like the title says, how serious is blue green algae? I've seen a lot of posts about locations with blue green algae warnings and have seen what it can cause in terms of symptoms on the AHS website, but I'm wondering how serious of a concern it is in terms of basic contact.

Ie) if I'm wiping off my inflatable and get some on my hands, or, just in case, we're on the inflatable and there's an accident causing us to go overboard for a minute or two, we've caught a fish and need to touch it to take the hook out and release it.

Are any of these scenarios concerning or is it moreso a "hey don't swim here for an hour/drink this water" warning.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2017, 04:01 PM
Banned

Blue green algae should not be taken lightly. If you get it on you wash thoroughly. I would even suggest a bit of bleach in a bucket of water and wipe down using a soaked rag. I used to band ducks in some seriously sketchy waters and we used to carry one of those screw top water/drink jugs with mixed water and bleach with an old rag in it and wipe ourselves down after undressing and putting away waders etc. We wiped every part that was exposed to any water contact. If you should happen to swallow any go to the hospital immediately and let them know. They will want to monitor you in case you become ill even if it means you calling in from home after being checked over.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:06 PM

Yikes! Ok good to know thank you! Is there any way to know when an advisory has been lifted or will it just be deleted from the AHS page? Not sure if it resolves or if once it's bloomed it's there for the rest of the season..

We were thinking of trying out Pine Coulee this weekend.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:12 PM
Banned

Honestly have no idea? I would think if they have a website issuing an advisory it would be updated continually but I have never looked at it to be honest with you.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:15 PM
Banned

Default Update:

Here I found this for you. It does say all advisories remain in effect until rescinded so I would think they remove it from their website or post that the advisory has been lifted?

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/news/bga.aspx
Old 08-23-2017, 04:27 PM

Thanks kindly I appreciate the help!
Old 08-23-2017, 07:56 PM

Way to make it sound like the plague Spank lol.

Don't let the warnings stop you Melabee. Lots of the lakes with warnings are not in that bad of shape at all. If you go out and the lake is really bad you won't want to stay anyways but more then likely it will just have a couple green clumps floating around on the windswept side of the lake. Don't drink the water and avoid contact directly with the blooms and you will be fine. Handling fish even if the water is semi gross won't be an issue at least it has never been for me and I have fished in some pretty nasty lakes...

If you do happen to come into contact(fall out of boat or whatever) the health websites just say to rinse with water. Although you could possibly get a rash the more serious issues are caused from ingestion.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:00 PM
Banned

I wasn't trying to make it sound like the plague or to avoid the lake but there is a real danger of getting very sick from accidental ingestion or getting sick from contact. I have never heard of any human fatalities but it is known to kill a few pets every year that drink the water. Anyways not trying to sound the air raid alarm!
Old 08-23-2017, 08:30 PM

I've been doing a little reading on it. I feel bad for the cattle that were swimming in it on a day that the wind stood still and in the heat of the day the herd went for a swim. The lake turned into a bad bowl of green and blue pudding, and the smell was enough to turn your stomach. We could not see fish that we knew were just beneath the surface while reeling them in. The next day the wind picked up and we could see fish about 1.5 feet down again. The algae is pretty nasty stuff, we try not to touch any of it, and now try to avoid it if at all possible. Stay safe!
Old 08-23-2017, 08:47 PM

Don't take my word for heavens sake but this ain't new guys... blue green algae been in these central alberta lakes since they started building cabins and farming right to the shoreline. It's a phosphorus thing and it doesn't go away. Adding more water makes it worse. That's my take anyway. Lakes like buck and pigeon with lots of rain and a century worth of shoreline development and nutrient loading are the poster children. Just an everyday outdoorsman putting in my two cents. When the lakes are warm and gross and thick with algae don't you naturally avoid water sports and such or do you just jump in with your mouth open? It's never been a huge deal till all the weekend warriors turn their kids loose in the lake and let the poodle drink that awful crap now it's a huge deal. Way too late. Zebra mussels would clear that up. But that just creates a whole new problem.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Don't take my word for heavens sake but this ain't new guys... blue green algae been in these central alberta lakes since they started building cabins and farming right to the shoreline. It's a phosphorus thing and it doesn't go away. Adding more water makes it worse. That's my take anyway. Lakes like buck and pigeon with lots of rain and a century worth of shoreline development and nutrient loading are the poster children. Just an everyday outdoorsman putting in my two cents. When the lakes are warm and gross and thick with algae don't you naturally avoid water sports and such or do you just jump in with your mouth open? It's never been a huge deal till all the weekend warriors turn their kids loose in the lake and let the poodle drink that awful crap now it's a huge deal. Way too late. Zebra mussels would clear that up. But that just creates a whole new problem.
You hit the nail right on the head!!
Old 08-23-2017, 09:52 PM

When I was about 12 My dog drank that stuff, I watched her doing it as I was playing in the slough with her....she was dead within two hours. I avoid it, I'm not anal about it but I sure as hell don't trust it.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:51 PM

Thanks spank. That's all I gonna say. Look at battle or twin or medicine all in the same area but virtually no shoreline development. Frigg if we can't see the obvious and protect ourselves and future generations after all these years from the annual blooms then I guess some of us will carry on and others will make the front page of the sun every summer forever.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
When I was about 12 My dog drank that stuff, I watched her doing it as I was playing in the slough with her....she was dead within two hours. I avoid it, I'm not anal about it but I sure as hell don't trust it.
This is my biggest concern... after all of the warnings and such, my kids know what to look for and where not to go. My dog is the one I do wonder about. He loves the water and constantly swims etc. Out in the boat he is fine as all he does is sit there and take up a man sized seating portion of the boat. I guess on shore I will have to make sure he is leashed and not having the free access of the lake as usual.
BTW- sorry to hear about your pup, may have been a while ago, but that is never easy.