Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-19-2019, 05:11 PM

Smile Death Blow Cam Locks

Those of you who you these how do you find the performance . I looked at these the other day & I see it seems they are just a smaller version of the modified cam lock which I use as well as lightning locks .
Old 01-19-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail200 View Post
Those of you who you these how do you find the performance . I looked at these the other day & I see it seems they are just a smaller version of the modified cam lock which I use as well as lightning locks .
I see I got my answer from Marty's thread about the Red or Cinnamon Cototes
Old 01-20-2019, 08:13 AM

Well keep in mind that Marty maybe a little biased.
I used them this year and so far I have no complaints nor has anyone I've talked to that uses them.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:40 AM

Default Death blow cam locks

I’ve taken over 100 coyotes using them this year, and have no complaints at all.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
I’ve taken over 100 coyotes using them this year, and have no complaints at all.
Are you fellas using compression springs with the death blows & what size cable
Old 01-20-2019, 07:21 PM

I used Marty's magnum springs with triggers and 1/16 cable
Old 01-20-2019, 07:40 PM

Default Death blow cam

Yes using compression springs and 3/32 cable.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:40 AM
AO Sponsor

I hate deathblows with magnum springs myself. I used them heavily one winter mistakenly thinking they were a decent lock with ny system. I was wrong. The coyotes took too long to expire as evidenced by much brush destruction at the set, many entangled animals (otherwise un-necessarily), much time spent repairing locations for reset.

I dislike it when coyotes entangle when often there is no need for them to, as in having coyotes all spun up on brush when they should have been blasted dead.

The teeth are prone to damage, the heart of the lock.

Trigger7 mm you said you are using them with compression springs. Did you really mean that? A compression spring is the wire coily style spring as an Amberg style spring. Stinger springs and Magnum Stingers are torsion springs.

It is always pertinent to define terms in a discussion. We are happy with exactly what? One guy is happy because his coyote is caught and held even if entangled and significant swelling, regardless of location damage while the next guy is only happy when the coyote is laying flat out dead from a carotid artery occulusion death even if it is caught low neck.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:42 AM

Yes expectations or a somewhat quantifiable metric is never used with these discussions. Just opinion and subjective analysis of the personal results. A favourable outcome could be interpreted as anything. In fairness there is little we can measure objectively with this, however there may be some. How about spring compression on the caught animal? This is measurable? Did the lock slip causing the spring to be fully open which would give predictably varied results. Or is there a lot of compression which after all is the whole purpose of the spring and the system. You can have coyotes very dead with little to no compression left but what are your expectations for speed of death? Site damage? Spring compression is measurable and objective and directly correlated to better killing no? Just some thoughts to go along with Matry’s on defining expectations and potentially using the same baselines when truly trying to find best practices. Without it these discussions of perceived opinion may perhaps be useless or non beneficial.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:26 PM

Default Death blow

Yes, I have been using compression springs. With that said, I ordered some of Marty’s springs a couple weeks back, but haven’t tried them yet.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog View Post
Yes expectations or a somewhat quantifiable metric is never used with these discussions. Just opinion and subjective analysis of the personal results. A favourable outcome could be interpreted as anything. In fairness there is little we can measure objectively with this, however there may be some. How about spring compression on the caught animal? This is measurable? Did the lock slip causing the spring to be fully open which would give predictably varied results. Or is there a lot of compression which after all is the whole purpose of the spring and the system. You can have coyotes very dead with little to no compression left but what are your expectations for speed of death? Site damage? Spring compression is measurable and objective and directly correlated to better killing no? Just some thoughts to go along with Matry’s on defining expectations and potentially using the same baselines when truly trying to find best practices. Without it these discussions of perceived opinion may perhaps be useless or non beneficial.
I agree 100%. The whole point is to find the most efficient mouse trap. Opinions without facts don't solve any problems.

Bill