Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-23-2013, 11:56 PM
Banned

Default Mysterious Lake

Packed up for an overnight with my Dad and headed out for some big pike. This was the plan, and, had been the plan all week.

Sadly, the lake that we planned to go to had 6 foot rollers backed by a wind or 80 kliks, so it was both impossible to get to our spot and my Dad to stand (he would have problems standing in near zero gravity).

So there we were, completely dejected, sulking, bummed out at the state of trying to cast into a head on wind at our favorite pike haunt. I suggested another spot, which the wind played on like getting a feather out of a bottle. The old guy didn't even chance it, and the wind near slammed the car door on my leg just getting out of the car.

Now, we were really p'od. What to do, where to go?

So we went to the lake of mystery fish that we had explored earlier last week.

This lake had shorter rollers, but pretty big nonetheless, plus plenty of flat shore to avoid getting swamped by the waves.

Long story short; we didn't get to camp but we did manage 14 pike in 4 hours of fishing and kept two for the pan. Mine was 75cm and his was a nice fat 70cm. A larger one was lost to the waves, and to be honest - if you saw the water - you would have never thought the bite would be so good.

The fish are being cleaned as I write this, so pics would be of a dull sort, but I will post the contents of the stomach shortly.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:59 AM
Banned

sweet

surf casting in alberta
Old 09-24-2013, 01:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
sweet

surf casting in alberta
It was completely that,, I was kinda hooped with my heavy medium 7 footer but old guy had a nice medium light 8 footer and was casting like there was no wind.

There was a guy seriously contemplating kite surfing at the first lake,, and if he did set up, he should be landing in Churchill MB anytime now. He was alone and I really hope he abandoned his ideas.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:52 PM

A few years ago - a few of us forum members were out on a lake in SK.

The wind was just howling, and the waves were white caps.

We were going stir crazy at camp - so we thought - let's try and make it over to the other side (not a huge lake) so maybe a mile across. 2 of us idiots headed out.

Slowly plowed our way to the other side, reaching our target, thoroughly soaked, only to see the waves were pretty much the same crazy white cap tossers.

"heck, let's toss our lines out and see what happens" - left the boat running (as we needed to maneuver to stay somewhat on target) and both of us cast out and within seconds we had a double header.

Landed the two average pike, while manuvering the boat, stumbling around etc... had a big laugh and said "#$%^ this ...... we are out of here" and went back to camp.

We still laugh about this silly escapade. It was pretty amazing to see such aggression in such extreme chop.