Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-30-2019, 11:59 AM

Default Hunting/fishing machine

Hello all

I am looking to buy a new hunting/fishing machine and I am looking for a bit of advice.

I know these are very different machines so I will start off with a bit of info on what I will be using it for. It will be strictly for hunting big game, ice fishing and to get me to a few remote lakes with no real road access.

I’m looking at either a quad, side x side or an Argo. It will have to be rugged, able to go through all sorts of train and a bit comfortable for me and some gear.

Any advice would be appreciated
Freddy
Old 12-30-2019, 12:16 PM

Default Hunting machine

I’ve had quads, Polaris rangers and built a Suzuki Samurai for hunting/fishing last year. I sold the Samurai this fall and went back to a Polaris Ranger with the full cab system. They are way overpriced for what you get but are in my opinion the best all around vehicle for the outdoorsman. People are brand loyal but the Ranger has the most available accessories and is the top selling UTV for a reason.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman View Post
I’ve had quads, Polaris rangers and built a Suzuki Samurai for hunting/fishing last year. I sold the Samurai this fall and went back to a Polaris Ranger with the full cab system. They are way overpriced for what you get but are in my opinion the best all around vehicle for the outdoorsman. People are brand loyal but the Ranger has the most available accessories and is the top selling UTV for a reason.
X10
I have the newer Ranger with the cab and heat etc.
I added tracks for snow. worked so well I sold my sled...

Old 12-30-2019, 12:40 PM

Depends on a few things one your budget 2 are you going to haul it on a trailer which you'll need to do with an Argo, and probably a big Ranger also quad you don't need the trailer obviously

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2019, 02:18 PM

I was thinking an Enclosed trailer and the machine would stay in it and only move equipment in and out depending on seasons. Budget is always a concern so a 8 wheel Argo is out unless I go used. Where I moose hunt, some years I was able to cross one of the rivers on a quad other years I wasn’t. Never used a side x side, but suspect it would be the same??
Thanks for the feedback so far

Freddy
Old 12-30-2019, 02:27 PM

Default Rangers

The Rangers will go anywhere that a quad will until width becomes a concern. Carry a chainsaw and some extra straps and you will have no issues.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:29 PM

My hunting buddies have a 4 seater Polaris Ranger with the cab and heat and its incredible. They use it as their primary farm vehicle, checking on cows, checking fences etc. Keeps the trucks in nicer condition using the sxs out in the fields.

It's seen 8 years of daily farm use and 8 seasons of hunting abuse. The thing is a tank and only just started burning oil. They will buy another ranger the day the current one craps out. I don't think you can go wrong with the ranger.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:51 PM

Side by side is amazing. Could go virtually anywhere. Quad would get high centered a lot through muskeg (800cc can am). Side by side went through it no problem. I was actually baffled. But if I did another machine, I’d only do a side by side.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy#27 View Post
Hello all

I am looking to buy a new hunting/fishing machine and I am looking for a bit of advice.

I know these are very different machines so I will start off with a bit of info on what I will be using it for. It will be strictly for hunting big game, ice fishing and to get me to a few remote lakes with no real road access.

I’m looking at either a quad, side x side or an Argo. It will have to be rugged, able to go through all sorts of train and a bit comfortable for me and some gear.

Any advice would be appreciated
Freddy
If comfort is a factor Argo is already out of the running. Roughest riding machine around. And they are very finicky to maintain.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:13 PM

I’ve had almost all machines discussed with , including Argos. Best machine by far has been Argo xti. It’s the commercial version. Used it for 5 years now, never stuck or broke down. Must have tracks. For comfort get suspension seats. Used for moose hunting 6 hours to camp. Used in 3 feet snow. It’s slower, Pricey, but it’s the best.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abalon View Post
I’ve had almost all machines discussed with , including Argos. Best machine by far has been Argo xti. It’s the commercial version. Used it for 5 years now, never stuck or broke down. Must have tracks. For comfort get suspension seats. Used for moose hunting 6 hours to camp. Used in 3 feet snow. It’s slower, Pricey, but it’s the best.
Have they fixed the seating in Argos yet? The old bench seats used to be offset a little from the steering controls, that always drove me nuts as you were twisted up and bouncing. There is no doubt the Argo is the king of the skeg but they definitely aren’t a good multi purpose vehicle.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:18 PM

The suspension seats take most of the bounce out. The xti version comes with auto oilers. Only 3 grease nipples. Almost impossible to break axles. Build a hard top cab and the heat from the engine keeps you warm.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:27 PM

Ranger is what you need. If you haven’t been in one then find someone with one and go for a ride. By far the most comfortable and with a cab you can have heat or A/C. I have seen these machines do the impossible first hand. I’ve owned multiple brand quads an Argo and three brands of SxS. Prowler, rhino, Ranger. Ranger out performed and out lasted them all. I would recommend a 900cc over the 1000cc as they are a more proven machine. Steer clear of the early 800s as they did have some overheat and fuel boil/vapour lock issues. I sold my 800 to go back to a 06 700. Unreal machine. Have seen them Cross the berland river winch an elk into the box over the ROPs and drive back. Watched them climb the side of gravel pits like steep couldn’t believe my eyes steep. Only machine to spend your well earned dollars on.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:46 PM

An Argo xti will go where nothing else can. I use to run a ranger 6x6 with tracks on the rear axles. Great machine , I broke 3 to 4 front axles every trip though. To many things to go wrong.
If you want to hunt/fish where most people can’t get to get the Argo. No trailers required. You can take all Your gear for a 2 week hunt in on one load and your animals out.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
Ranger is what you need. If you haven’t been in one then find someone with one and go for a ride. By far the most comfortable and with a cab you can have heat or A/C. I have seen these machines do the impossible first hand. I’ve owned multiple brand quads an Argo and three brands of SxS. Prowler, rhino, Ranger. Ranger out performed and out lasted them all. I would recommend a 900cc over the 1000cc as they are a more proven machine. Steer clear of the early 800s as they did have some overheat and fuel boil/vapour lock issues. I sold my 800 to go back to a 06 700. Unreal machine. Have seen them Cross the berland river winch an elk into the box over the ROPs and drive back. Watched them climb the side of gravel pits like steep couldn’t believe my eyes steep. Only machine to spend your well earned dollars on.
Agreed! I picked up a Northstar edition 1000 and do really like it but to be honest I liked my 900 XP a bit better. The 1000 is a little louder and way harder on fuel so far. All in all it is a great set up for the outdoorsmen. I’d have bought the 900 Northstar if it was available. First world problems!!!
Old 01-13-2020, 09:21 AM

I favor this one...

DSCF1221 by , on Flickr

But I use this one a fair bit too.

P1090088 by , on Flickr
Old 01-13-2020, 09:30 AM

Default The machine

Sherp!!
Old 01-14-2020, 09:13 AM

Default hunting machine

I like Bush leagues hunting machines, moose and elk never know when he is coming into the bush and he does not have to go to the gym.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:27 PM

Argo is a year round machine with the most options, can even fish out of it once you get to the lake in summer. Cab for winter heat with tracks.
Ranger is nice but high maintenance vs quad and especially when setup with tracks.
Sherp I hesitate to recommend, i have replaced two transmissions in relatively low hr machines.
The standard trans setup is hard on the machine in muskeg situations.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:57 PM

Haven't owned a argo, had a side x side and loved it around the acerage, nice for hunting, ice fishing. The biggest problem was everyone I ride with are riding quads, the side x side is a lot heavier and breaks through the muskeg easier than quads. Being stuck with a side x side is a lot more work. I sold it and now have 2 quads for the wife and I, I also have a tub trailer for behind the quad if we need to haul something . It works for us, everyone has different situations.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:41 PM

Thanks all I appreciate the feed back. I’m afraid the 8 wheel Argo is out of my price range, has anyone used a 6 wheel Argo?

Freddy
Old 01-15-2020, 11:02 PM

Has anyone had any experience with a Mudd Ox? There were 3 at the last Ritchie brothers Auction in Nisku, all under 100 hours BUT they were all over $10 K.

The tranny system is split power, not skid - steer. Beefier all around machines than the Argo, just pricey. And a bit bigger as well!

Having dealt with Argos, if you want to have your family collect on an Insurance Policy where there is a Suicide exclusion, you can't do better.

But the Insurance co will question if you had any sanity when they hear you bought an Argo.

Drewski
Old 01-16-2020, 08:12 AM

I owned and argo for 9 years, best go anywhere off road machine made, had tracks on it, almost unstoppable ............. rough as hell to ride, slow but then in the bush it's not a race, never had a lick of trouble with mine, 2200 hrs on it when I sold it.

Went to a quad and now have a s x s both are good, s x s more comfortable to drive, almost like a small pick up, you have to carry a chain saw in the bush along with other necessities so s x s better for that, don't have the track kit for mine but don't really use it in the deep snow so can't comment on that.

All comes down to personal preference and budget, new argo all rigged and enclosed or new s x s all rigged and enclosed will set you back best part of $30K or more, a buddy of mine bought a new s x s last year, full cab, ac and heat, track kit, whole 9 yards $35,000

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operator john View Post
Sherp!!
Yesss!!!
Old 03-26-2020, 09:38 PM

Default Machine

Thanks all for your input, as much as I wanted to buy an 8 wheel Argo the bank account said no so I bought a slightly used 2019 6 wheeler. So far great on the frozen lake with ice fishing gear and not to bad in fresh snow. I did push the limit and tried in about 3 feet of fluffy snow and that didn’t go well lol ( got to try right) looking forward to bear season now. Quick question, plastic tracks or rubber tracks?

Thank you all

Last edited by Freddy#27; 03-26-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:52 AM

Good luck with the Argo!
Old 03-27-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks all for your input, as much as I wanted to buy an 8 wheel Argo the bank account said no so I bought a slightly used 2019 6 wheeler. So far great on the frozen lake with ice fishing gear and not to bad in fresh snow. I did push the limit and tried in about 3 feet of fluffy snow and that didn’t go well lol ( got to try right) looking forward to bear season now. Quick question, plastic tracks or rubber tracks?

Thank you all
My friend just sold his 6wheel Argo. He had plastic tracks that were one notch up from useless on snow unless it was flat ground. That thing had a comfort level of a wooden box rolling down a mountainside . In water it was down right scary. I would rather walk than ride in it with him. His was a 2019 as well he usually keeps his machines 3 yrs and trades em out , he kept the Argo one yr. it would have gone sooner but they are a hard sell.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:

Thank you all
I've got rubber tracks on my 8 wheel Argo and it has had no issues in snow. Just look after it, and follow the maintenance recommendations and you should be good to go! I also tend to keep a handful of small spare parts with me, as I'm the only one in our hunting group that has one. The rest have quads and one RZR.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:06 PM

Run Argos before and they literally went anywhere with tracks, lots of breakdowns though and lots of slipped tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2020, 07:33 PM

Glad to hear you went with the Argo. Go with the rubber tracks. Match the circumference of the tires by adjusting tire pressure. Put track tuners on middle axles to eliminate tension. Most axles break due to the built up tension.