Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-25-2020, 11:26 AM

Default Spring Bear Hunt

Surprised nobody has brought it up yet, but I suspect it will be postponed or cancelled. Ya Ha Tinda locked their gates, so no wolf hunting for me anyways.

Grizz
Old 03-25-2020, 11:29 AM

So far I'm just waiting for the snow to drop enough to get out to my bait site, still thigh deep where I am.. sure hope it dont get cancelled!!!
Old 03-25-2020, 11:42 AM

I wanted to try baiting for the first time this spring. I have never done it or hunted over bait so I wanted to do the whole process from scratch to see what it’s truly like. With everything being up in the air this year I don’t want to start the process and be interrupted because of quarantine crap

So the plan is to fall back on my normal spot & stalk and calling.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:29 PM

I'd hope they wouldn't cancel the bear hunt. Great way to get people out of the city and in isolation - assuming they do it responsibly. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if it's cancelled, as it seems some people can't act appropriately without the government escalating to the point of ruining things for the responsible ones as well.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:48 PM

Shutting down Spring Bear because of this virus would truly be crossing the border into stupid land. Guys way out in the boonies hunting is about as much physical distancing as a guy could ask for, and I am betting the Black Bears haven't been in Italy or China recently.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:05 PM

Hope not, I look more forward to spring bear than fall hunting.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:29 PM

Decided to get out earlier than ever and do some self isolation haha. Really I just wanted and excuse to put the tracks to the test! Was fun getting out that early but a ton of snow still. Have heard reports of bears out up near swan hills and Conklin tho!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJalberta View Post
I'd hope they wouldn't cancel the bear hunt. Great way to get people out of the city and in isolation - assuming they do it responsibly. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if it's cancelled, as it seems some people can't act appropriately without the government escalating to the point of ruining things for the responsible ones as well.
The argument is exposure in your travels and people can be incredibly stupid. Apparently people have been lying about not travelling outside the country and denying they have symptoms. Report I heard came from Quebec.

Grizz
Old 03-25-2020, 03:13 PM

I was wondering the same thing about the Spring snow goose season. I see no reason to cancel. Great way to get out and enjoy some sunshine while isolating.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post
Decided to get out earlier than ever and do some self isolation haha. Really I just wanted and excuse to put the tracks to the test! Was fun getting out that early but a ton of snow still.
Oh wow, that rig looks like a ton of fun!
Old 03-25-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
The argument is exposure in your travels and people can be incredibly stupid. Apparently people have been lying about not travelling outside the country and denying they have symptoms. Report I heard came from Quebec.

Grizz
Its definitely happening, I had to send a guy at work home for symptoms, then he told hr and 811 that he'd been sick for a week and just didnt wanna say anything I could almost see them doing it, would suck for me as I literally drive my side by side to my bait from home lol
Old 03-26-2020, 01:13 AM

Hugenuge strikes again ! We'll be along or the ride
Old 03-26-2020, 05:58 AM

Nice set up on that Polaris! the spare wheel is for if a track goes bad?
lastly, reading the post on baiting prior, i saw the beaver under the 5 gallon bucket ideas. My questions is being attached to the tree above the bait,
can they just not climb up and knock it down to eat it. isn't it for long term smell and dripping goodness on the ground only.?
Old 03-26-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaround View Post
lastly, reading the post on baiting prior, i saw the beaver under the 5 gallon bucket ideas. My questions is being attached to the tree above the bait,
can they just not climb up and knock it down to eat it. isn't it for long term smell and dripping goodness on the ground only.?
I would say you are correct yes. The best is to find an overhanging limb or string a line between two trees to hang bucket from there....
Old 03-26-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcan View Post
Hugenuge strikes again ! We'll be along or the ride

Should be a good season!!! Stay tuned

Old 03-26-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaround View Post

Thanks man! It’s been a blast all winter cruising that thing around ice fishing, shed hunting now bear baiting!

I hung it like that to field judge any bears that come in they will stand up at the tree to check out that beaver which I hung at 7.5’ high. This will give me a confident measure of height from the trail cam photos. Typically I have hung beavers off of a rope tied between two trees and the bucket upside down is to keep the birds off it.

I have also used medium size caged dog kennels strapped to a tree with success.

Bears love to eat the beaver meat so it’s not just for smell. Also I have noticed if u make it hard for the bear to get at something he will destroy what it’s in to get at it but if it’s easy they don’t really do much damage from my experience. Hope that answers your question.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
I was wondering the same thing about the Spring snow goose season. I see no reason to cancel. Great way to get out and enjoy some sunshine while isolating.
When the time comes, you just get out there scouting buddy. I will bring my measuring tape and make sure we are at least 2m apart. LOL
Old 03-26-2020, 10:54 AM

Nuge, that's a beauty machine you got right there! Smash a big boar!! Share lots of pics. We need em.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
When the time comes, you just get out there scouting buddy. I will bring my measuring tape and make sure we are at least 2m apart. LOL
This is the attitude that will get us through corona virus!
Old 03-26-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
This is the attitude that will get us through corona virus!

Of course, we'll be wearing camo masks and using appropriately scented hand sanitizer.

Grizz
Old 03-26-2020, 02:58 PM

Just corresponded with a CO. He knew nothing of a ban on spring hunting.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Just corresponded with a CO. He knew nothing of a ban on spring hunting.
I doubt there will be any spring hunting ban it’s more of a question if we get put on lockdown or not. Can’t see the government targeting hunting as a liability for spreading Covid19
Old 03-28-2020, 10:48 AM

Default Spring ban

If they shut down the Spring hunting Season they will have to shut down fishing too. I cannot see this happening. I am looking forward to my annual spring snow goose hunt and spot and stalk bear hunt . Also get out there to enjoy the last three days of the ice fishing season. No reason you can't be out on a lake enjoying some fresh air.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
If they shut down the Spring hunting Season they will have to shut down fishing too. I cannot see this happening. I am looking forward to my annual spring snow goose hunt and spot and stalk bear hunt . Also get out there to enjoy the last three days of the ice fishing season. No reason you can't be out on a lake enjoying some fresh air.
Some states have shut down fishing already so its not that wild of an idea that there wont be any hunting this spring. Hard to hunt or fish with out most guys needing gas and supplies
Old 03-29-2020, 06:14 PM

They may not shut down the season.

However they may close staging areas and access points we use to get into our favorite spots.

Fish and wildlife wont make that decision the health minister probably will.

Fingers crossed that my plans for May are still a go.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifthunter View Post
Some states have shut down fishing already so its not that wild of an idea that there wont be any hunting this spring. Hard to hunt or fish with out most guys needing gas and supplies
Which states closed down fishing??
Old 03-29-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohn87 View Post
Which states closed down fishing??

I believe Wisconsin has closed. As of last week Minneaota plans on staying on track to open but things can always change over this virus it seems.

Osky
Old 03-30-2020, 06:26 PM

Default Best Timing

I will be hunting the forests north or south of fox. I have never hunted spring bear before. Are there parts of the season that are better. Early April, mid april??... May??
Old 03-30-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIDREYE View Post
I will be hunting the forests north or south of fox. I have never hunted spring bear before. Are there parts of the season that are better. Early April, mid april??... May??
Just watch the weather and snow levels. When it starts warming up a little more and the snow starts to leave. Go scouting and look for sign to early can be a waste of time if it’s still cold out.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:50 PM

Default timing

Thank you