Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-16-2016, 11:10 PM

Unhappy Sturgeon fishing??

I've been reading up on sturgeon fishing but can't seem to get much exact. I've got a cabin near Edmonton in Alberta beach and I've been told you go to Drayton Valley and fish then there using a large snap swivel attached to a weight on your main line then another swivel with strong braid for leader and worms and minnows for bait. That's where I get lost. What size of hook? What do I look for when scouting the river? Regulation help? And i have a medium heavy action salmon rod that you can practically bend in half with a penn battle reel with 30
Pounds or something of drag rigged with 20 pound braid I know I will need better line any recommendations? As you can tell I'm pretty clueless so any help would be greatly appreciated feel free to private message me too if you don't wanna let your secret out. Any help I appreciate!
Old 06-17-2016, 03:20 AM

Your gear sounds ok, I use 60lb Fireline and a 0/3 hook (I believe) Find a calm eddy out of the main current and load the hooks with worms and wait & be patient. Google Stergeon rigs, lots of good ideas there for a rig. If the water is calm you will know they are in there just after sunset but before dark, they get active and jump and thrash around alot then (at least at my honey hole) Had one jump right on top of buddy's line 15' in front of us last night around 10:00, wouldn't of believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes. We catch them consistently between 9:00 and 11:00pm. Good luck, you will never forget your first. What a rush!
Old 06-17-2016, 07:40 AM

Here is what you should use.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-17-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Your gear sounds ok, I use 60lb Fireline and a 0/3 hook (I believe) Find a calm eddy out of the main current and load the hooks with worms and wait & be patient. Google Stergeon rigs, lots of good ideas there for a rig. If the water is calm you will know they are in there just after sunset but before dark, they get active and jump and thrash around alot then (at least at my honey hole) Had one jump right on top of buddy's line 15' in front of us last night around 10:00, wouldn't of believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes. We catch them consistently between 9:00 and 11:00pm. Good luck, you will never forget your first. What a rush!
Sounds like quite the night! Thank you I appreciate it and this is still on the Nnorth Saskatchewan river correct?

Tags
fishing, north saskatachewan river, sturgeon