Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-03-2023, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Social Media is a cancer to society! Exclaims exasperated man on social media.
Ive yelled at a few clouds in recent days no doubt.

Last edited by Jamie Black R/T; 02-03-2023 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-03-2023, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Interesting for sure.
Double be quickest, but hope you don't need more than 2
In a bolt I'd take a mark v action every time (or a BBR). Super reliable and quickest I've used to reload for that next one.
Absolutely! I took my older west german made mk v 300wby on a moose hunt this year and wanted to take a few shots to double check where I had set it at 100yds previous to the trip. Took 2 shots and went to take a third and could not load the third round. The bolt came out of battery. Have never had anything like that ever happen before and was fortunate it happened while shooting at a target. I put it back in it's case and used my vanguard sub-moa for the rest of that trip.
Fairly rare occurrence to happen from what I have heard.
Old 02-04-2023, 10:40 AM

Wink Random thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
A Like button for sure, and some way for members to donate to mods for their troubles (and excellent service). Patreon?
I guess we should be thankful you didn't say Onlyfans?

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-04-2023, 11:47 AM
Banned

https://fb.watch/iuoqmAOkaQ/?mibextid=qC1gEa

More great bear hunting videos from these guys
So this wasn’t the first or last time they have done this
Old 02-04-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
https://fb.watch/iuoqmAOkaQ/?mibextid=qC1gEa

More great bear hunting videos from these guys
So this wasn’t the first or last time they have done this
Man that might be worse than the other video, just without any close range handgun shooting. I shot him in the ass at over 400 yds because I have a big gun! I can only imagine the thoughts of a brown bear guide watching that sort of thing. I remember watching one of Billy Molls shows where they got within a couple hundred yards of a brown bear that was laying down, I think they waited several hours for him to get up and present a broadside shot. Quite a difference in technique
Old 02-04-2023, 02:29 PM

I think I read somewhere that the two older brothers have killed over 40 public land bull elk between them.
Old 02-04-2023, 02:57 PM

That last video has been pulled, say's it's unavailable

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-04-2023, 02:59 PM
Banned

Way easier to pack out if you shoot them in the shoulders or hind quarters
Old 02-04-2023, 05:10 PM

This is a disaster that just gives more ammunition to the anti hunters out there.

I'm not going to judge "long range" hunting, but if you are going to take a long shot, in heavy wind, with a target that does not give you a good clean shot (or the best chance at a clean shot) for Pete's sake WAIT for a more ethical shot.

I know some will say "$#!t happens" but in many cases, including this one, it all started with a bad decision in taking a questionable shot. Poor bear did not deserve that.

And it just got worse and worse after that - at some point there was no other outcome, other than the disaster that ensued.

Such a shame.
Old 02-04-2023, 07:11 PM

Reminds me of the muleyfreak guys, making terrible long range shots.
Old 02-04-2023, 07:36 PM
Banned

There’s another video they have of them shooting that same 338 rum at a brown bear
Shot it 6 times
Started shooting at under 100 yards…
I’m thinking more and more that the 416 is coming to alaska this fall
I just do not understand how they could use the same set up over and over if it takes that many shots?
Old 02-04-2023, 07:43 PM

Quote:
There’s another video they have of them shooting that same 338 rum at a brown bear
Shot it 6 times
Started shooting at under 100 yards…
I’m thinking more and more that the 416 is coming to alaska this fall
I just do not understand how they could use the same set up over and over if it takes that many shots?
With quality bullets and good shot placement I can’t see why anyone would need more than a 338 Rum.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:04 PM

Other then the long range shot, I don't feel nothing wrong with the hunt.

They accomplished their hunt.
Finished the job with a hairy encounter. P
Every single one of "US" that have hunted alot have made shots that probably shouldn't have been seen.

Im glad they finished what they started.

Kudos to them.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnbears View Post
Other then the long range shot, I don't feel nothing wrong with the hunt.

They accomplished their hunt.
Finished the job with a hairy encounter. P
Every single one of "US" that have hunted alot have made shots that probably shouldn't have been seen.

Im glad they finished what they started.

Kudos to them.
Nothing wrong with a shot at that range if you shooting at a target that is high percentage.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Nothing wrong with a shot at that range if you shooting at a target that is high percentage.
Mark, have you ever shot a running animal? Coyote?
Yes of no answer is enough.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
With quality bullets and good shot placement I can’t see why anyone would need more than a 338 Rum.
I agree
But those bears are far bigger than most people realize
I didn’t realize how much bigger than are from a grizzly til I seen one in person
Old 02-04-2023, 08:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Mark, have you ever shot a running animal? Coyote?
Yes of no answer is enough.
I’ve shot a lot of animals in a lot of different situations
I’ve shot 190” mule deer on a dead run and I’ve passed on 200+” whitetails running away when the situation wasn’t right
Two weeks ago I Shot and killed a sindh ibex at 300 yards on the move
And missed a bigger one the day before at 250 yards

I take shots at animals that I think I can make, if I can’t make them, I don’t take them. What is acceptable and ethical to me, may not be makeable for you. But I just came back from the range for the third time this week. So I put in the work. 475 yards on a bear that big isn’t a hard shot. Actually it would be pretty easy. If it was standing broad side and not in that hole.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:41 PM

Just a guess on my part but I'm "guessing" he thought he had an ethical shot?

Now just answer this "ethical" shot question.
Have YOU EVER taken a 200 yard + yard shot at a running coyote?
Did you practice that shot on a target before hand and were very comfortable (like) 95% you could do it?

No spin please, yes or no.
Old 02-04-2023, 09:59 PM

Quote:
I’ve shot a lot of animals in a lot of different situations
I’ve shot 190” mule deer on a dead run and I’ve passed on 200+” whitetails running away when the situation wasn’t right
Two weeks ago I Shot and killed a sindh ibex at 300 yards on the move
And missed a bigger one the day before at 250 yards

I take shots at animals that I think I can make, if I can’t make them, I don’t take them. What is acceptable and ethical to me, may not be makeable for you. But I just came back from the range for the third time this week. So I put in the work. 475 yards on a bear that big isn’t a hard shot. Actually it would be pretty easy. If it was standing broad side and not in that hole.
Didn’t he hit it with all three shots?
Old 02-04-2023, 10:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just a guess on my part but I'm "guessing" he thought he had an ethical shot?

Now just answer this "ethical" shot question.
Have YOU EVER taken a 200 yard + yard shot at a running coyote?
Did you practice that shot on a target before hand and were very comfortable (like) 95% you could do it?

No spin please, yes or no.
They shot that other bear, directly in the rear, with zero intent of anything being ethical. Just to hit it with a big bullet to slow it down

As I said before, when they shot it the absolutely most difficult angle and the smallest target. If they waited til it’s stood up broad side. The shot would have been way way easier. All they needed to do was to wait. Nothing needed to be forced.

zero spinning
I shoot at running coyotes all the time.
I shoot them to kill them
And I shoot them For practice
If you want to get great practice for shooting at moving deer
Go predator hunting more
You learn what shots you can make and which ones are low percentage.
I’ve gone to calibers that are all within 100-150 fps of each other just for that reason. Consistency
Like I said before, what may be ethical for me, may not be for you
The biggest determining factor comes from practice
Confidence when your shooting can’t be replaced
There’s nothing like having your guide/buddy look at you and say “what do you think”
And you fire back “outta the way, I got this”
Old 02-05-2023, 06:58 AM

Quote:
They shot that other bear, directly in the rear, with zero intent of anything being ethical. Just to hit it with a big bullet to slow it down

As I said before, when they shot it the absolutely most difficult angle and the smallest target. If they waited til it’s stood up broad side. The shot would have been way way easier. All they needed to do was to wait. Nothing needed to be forced.

zero spinning
I shoot at running coyotes all the time.

What do you focus on when shooting at running game?
Old 02-05-2023, 07:10 AM

I'd pay to see how these long distance warriors would fare in Africa hunting DG and get that on You Boob. The PH's reactions to them winging offhand 400+ yd shots would be priceless and to be truthful a good Alaska or Yukon guide wouldn't condone them taking these shots either unless the contract stated he didn't have to help them finish what they started.

Take them bow hunting for lions (×2) or hippo (×1) like my buddy has done and been successful at. Get them inside 50 yds on elephant, cape buffalo, and lion with a low power scope or open sights. It'd be worth the price of admission.

Last edited by 270person; 02-05-2023 at 07:26 AM.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:12 AM

Quote:

More importantly, was it a crf or push feed rifle. This is critical information.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:25 AM

Both shots & hunts were unethical.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-05-2023, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I'd pay to see how these long distance warriors would fare in Africa hunting DG and get that on You Boob. The PH's reactions to them winging offhand 400+ yd shots would be priceless.

Take them bow hunting for lions (×2) or hippo (×1) like my buddy has done and been successful at. Get them inside 50 yds on elephant, cape buffalo, and lion with a low power scope or open sights. It'd be worth the price of admission.
Wouldn’t happen, I don’t think any good PH is gonna let anyone wing shots at long range at dangerous game. No good brown bear guide is going to tell a client to shoot a bear in the ass at 400+ yds either. Guides don’t like tracking wounded animals in thick brush, especially the ones that can kill you.

Last edited by cody j; 02-05-2023 at 07:29 AM. Reason: More to add
Old 02-05-2023, 08:17 AM

Quote:
More importantly, was it a crf or push feed rifle. This is critical information.
It actually is in this case. But more an issue of a plunger vs fixed blade ejection. I subscribe that the latter would have solved the problem with this scenario.

It’s kinda funny that we are invoking the name of all things guide regarding the shot here, but will ignore their overwhelming recommendation for action choice. :-)

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 02-05-2023 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
It actually is in this case. But more an issue of a plunger vs fixed blade ejection. I subscribe that the latter would have solved the problem with this scenario.

It’s kinda funny that we are invoking the name of all things guide regarding the shot here, but will ignore their overwhelming recommendation for action choice. :-)

I was referring to the second vid, and crf will be ok with a primer wedged into the action keeping the bolt from closing?

Brown bear guides care a lot more about a client using an adequate cartridge and if they can shoot decently well than they do about the action, but I'm betting there's zero of them that would advocate shooting a running brown bear in the arse at ANY distance, with any cartridge or action.

What distance would you say most African DG is shot at chuck and how many are running in the opposite direction or presenting poor shot angles at vitals?

Last edited by 270person; 02-05-2023 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I was referring to the second vid, and crf will be ok with a primer wedged into the action keeping the bolt from closing?

Brown bear guides care a lot more about a client using an adequate cartridge and if they can shoot decently well than they do about the action, but I'm betting there's zero of them that would advocate shooting a running brown bear in the arse at ANY distance, with any cartridge or action.

What distance would you say most African DG is shot at chuck and how many are running in the opposite direction or presenting poor shot angles at vitals?
I’ve already clearly stated on this thread that I am no fan of long range hunting. Period. And I have a private 1000 yard range. I can shoot long distances just fine.

A CRF action with a mechanical, fixed blade, ejector would have held the primer in the case FAR beyond the lug recesses. Preventing this from ever happened in the first place.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:52 AM

Quote:
No, the third shot was high, you can see the snow fly in the background (at 17:26); without the accompanying blood spray.
Looked like the first shot hit the neck, the second was high in the shoulder.

Anybody care to guess how many hunters will see this video and come to the conclusion that a 338RUM + 454 Casull aren't enough firepower to handle big game? Cue the move towards even larger calibres that they will then proceed to shoot poorly due to being unable to tolerate the recoil.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-05-2023, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
No, the third shot was high, you can see the snow fly in the background (at 17:26); without the accompanying blood spray.
Looked like the first shot hit the neck, the second was high in the shoulder.

Anybody care to guess how many hunters will see this video and come to the conclusion that a 338RUM + 454 Casull aren't enough firepower to handle big game? Cue the move towards even larger calibres that they will then proceed to shoot poorly due to being unable to tolerate the recoil.
Im more convinced by their other video when they shot it 6 times before it went down
225gr accubonds going at 3200 fps isnt the medicine for big fat bears
Too much expansion too fast
If you plug it in the boiler room at 100 yards and it runs that far
Its the wrong tool for the job
This is coming from the guy who shot a grizzly 6-7 times with a 6.5x284 at 350
At least mine never ran more than 20 yards

https://youtu.be/TR2lUaduVDM