Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 06-04-2023, 02:05 PM

Question Trash pandas

What’s your ideas on the best bait/trap combo for urban raccoons?

We have an abandoned local residence that has a year round crop of these little buggers. City refuses to do anything about the house, animal control refuses to trap them or supply us with traps. I caught 3 younger ones last winter (one by hand) and gave them all to animal control. They were “released” in a more appropriate location and were back here within a day. These buggers are smart and now that they’ve been educated on peanut butter and the box trap, I might have to step up my game a bit. Thoughts, suggestions? I’m looking for a bait and trap combination that works okay in an urban setting. We also have local cats wandering about. I’ve considered poison but again not a great idea in a town.

Any ideas?
Old 06-04-2023, 03:57 PM

When I lived on the coast we went hard on them with havahart cage traps. Found that a trap that has caught one recently carries a smell that tends to make others wary. Rotating traps or just letting it sit outside for a while helped.
Hanging bait in the back corner where they have to reach for it helps catch the bait stealers. Fresh fruit like peaches or plums is a great bait to keep the cats from getting caught.
And finally it helps to make a cardboard or plywood cover for the trap to make it more cavelike and less cage like to boost confidence

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 06-04-2023, 05:25 PM

Dog proof trap with cat food and anise oil.
Old 06-04-2023, 05:44 PM

Duke dip raccoon trap. Hanford sells em. They work awesome. Goggle raccoon trapping, lots of good info with those traps.
Old 06-04-2023, 07:43 PM

Default Dukes

Good info, thanks. I like the duke traps but in town the problem is handling a live one or even trying to dispatch it. Hmm. The other neighbors have large dogs. Maybe I can convince them to do the dirty work for me 🤔.
Old 06-05-2023, 06:19 AM

Box trap with eggs for bait..wrap egg in stocking or mesh to prevent them from lifting it over the trigger, a drop of anise oil on it works wonders. When you catch one submerge trap to dispatch and that will clean the scent off then reset .

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2023, 05:47 PM

Default Raccoon Trap

Cabela’s sells a Bridger version of the dog proof trap for $24.99. Same design idea as the Duke brand that Halford Hides sells. Depending on the strength of the Spring you may need a simple setting tool. They’re both triggered by a small lever inside the unit that has to be set off by pulling up on it. Baited with dog or cat food or miniature marshmallows. Look it up on YouTube. You have the choice of dispatching with a rifle or releasing it elsewhere by compressing the spring. Be careful though they have sharp teeth‼️
Old 06-06-2023, 10:31 PM

Don’t release elsewhere. Stop them before they get a foothold. Also if they have a disease you will be moving it to a new location. It’s now been proven that skunks and coons can carry the avian bird virus.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:32 PM

Diving lessons while in the trap. Did that once with a skunk.

Don’t release elsewhere. Stop them before they get a foothold. Also if they have a disease you will be moving it to a new location. It’s now been proven that skunks and coons can carry the avian bird virus.

Not to mention rabies
Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 06-07-2023, 11:49 AM

Default Release

They get released in the irrigation canal when the City animal control aren’t involved. Skunks, raccoons, etc.😏
Old 06-09-2023, 08:04 AM

new a racoon hunter that would trap racoons in residentail areas and relocate to rural areas ( 30 miles away) so he could hunt them. He got suspicious that they were returning. So he painted there tails. Low and behold they were returning to their original place
Old 06-09-2023, 09:27 AM
AO Sponsor

Best trap for city use is the plastic box traps. Carry coon/skunk to the hydrant or garden hose, stand trap up and fill with water. Then dump and transport dead animal to his new home. Bsit with cat food juiced up with anise oil should be magic.

Legally you are not allowed to transport live wildlife, but i think F&W turns a blind eye to city people, unless you hunt, lotsa guys really do enjoy charging people so beware.

Come by our store, Canadian Coyote Company, an hour from you, located 1 mile north of Vauxhall, Durapoly traps have gotten spendy tho.
132044 Range Road 163 - phone 403-725-2283

DP traps and steel foot traps cheap but no good for you cuz you have live animal to deal with. Americans inject skunks with acetone for urban dispatch so you could do, but try not to end up on national television.

Last edited by Marty S; 06-09-2023 at 09:33 AM.