Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-14-2016, 03:32 AM

Talking First time shooter

My wife and I took our 11 year old nephew to the range today, for his first ever time shooting. The weather wasn't very good but we had the place all to ourselves which was perfect for teaching this young man a little about marksmanship and how to safely handle a firearm.

BTW he was wearing safety glasses while shooting we just took them off for this picture.

He had a great time and really wants to go again. The only "problem" is that next weekend we will be taking out his younger brother and hopefully introducing another youngster to the joys of shooting. Their sister also wants to go but she is only 5 and will have to wait a few years, I think?

I'd also like to give a HUGE thanks to a very nice AO forum member who sold us this nice little 22, it was just what we were looking for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dakota 1st time at shooting.jpg (41.1 KB, 160 views)
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-14-2016, 09:41 AM

It's nice to see a new shooter receive a proper introduction to the shooting sports. Good on you for taking the time to get him out shooting in a safe environment.

Fortunately the range here in Camrose allows guests to shoot, unlike Sherwood Park and some other ranges that do not. I do understand the reasoning for the rules, but it is still unfortunate.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 03-14-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:43 AM
Banned

2 thumbs up.....more if I had more.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:45 AM

Nice work, keep the little fella interested, and he'll be hooked for life.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:08 AM
Banned

Good to get 'em going young.
We were out there yesterday morning about 10AM.
Before the sun came out.
Man it was miserable.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:32 PM

I guess my post has lead to some confusion. Nephews (and nieces) are NOT covered under the family membership at SPFGA. We purchased our nephew his own membership when we applied to join the club. It is a great value and only $20. We will also purchase one for his brother because of course now he wants to go too. lol He initially wasn't too interested but you know how it is with kids.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-14-2016, 05:45 PM

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing, Zuludog.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
I guess my post has lead to some confusion. Nephews (and nieces) are NOT covered under the family membership at SPFGA. We purchased our nephew his own membership when we applied to join the club. It is a great value and only $20. We will also purchase one for his brother because of course now he wants to go too. lol He initially wasn't too interested but you know how it is with kids.
The site mentions junior memberships, which I think is a great idea, but I wasn't aware that a person could still purchase them once the range membership cap was reached. The site doesn't really explain that, or I would have purchased one for a friend's son last summer.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The site mentions junior memberships, which I think is a great idea, but I wasn't aware that a person could still purchase them once the range membership cap was reached. The site doesn't really explain that, or I would have purchased one for a friend's son last summer.
I'm pretty sure that you can still by youth memberships but now I'm second guessing it. lol If we can't get him one then he will have to wait another year. That's what he gets for only showing interest in video games when we first approached him about it.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
I'm pretty sure that you can still by youth memberships but now I'm second guessing it. lol If we can't get him one then he will have to wait another year. That's what he gets for only showing interest in video games when we first approached him about it.
If you can't get him a youth membership at SPFGA, let me know,and we can get him out at Camrose to at least try shooting.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:01 PM

Great picture!
Old 03-15-2016, 01:11 AM

Quote:
If you can't get him a youth membership at SPFGA, let me know,and we can get him out at Camrose to at least try shooting.
Thanks, that's a really nice offer. I hope he likes it as he hasn'tshown shown an interest in anything. His brother, the one pictured plays hockey and has other interests but the younger one is very apathetic.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:37 AM

Boy that smile is worth a million. Good on you, Uncle!

That gun looks to be a Cooey Model 39 with shortened length of pull, whiteline spacer between recoil pad, and custom weathered finish
Old 03-15-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboe8 View Post
Boy that smile is worth a million. Good on you, Uncle!

That gun looks to be a Cooey Model 39 with shortened length of pull, whiteline spacer between recoil pad, and custom weathered finish
I recognize that gun too. Glad the boy is liking it!
Old 03-15-2016, 08:39 AM

Good on you for exposing your nephew to a healthy lifestyle. Every farm boy (now over fifty) in Alberta started on a Cooey, and if a count could ever be made, a billion gophers likely fell to those rigs
Old 03-15-2016, 09:04 AM
Banned

.260...just wondering, do you know if it still flooded down at the 100m on the rimfire range.
Sunday we couldn't get targets up as we had no boots and the water was at least 3-4" deep.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Good on you for exposing your nephew to a healthy lifestyle. Every farm boy (now over fifty) in Alberta started on a Cooey, and if a count could ever be made, a billion gophers likely fell to those rigs
Every family at the time had a Cooey or three, and most of us started with the single shots that could be cocked and decocked by pulling back on the rear of the bolt. Those rifles made much more sense for teaching a new shooter, than a 10/22 does.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:20 AM

They are slow to load, but as smart people know, starting out kids with a semi-auto 22 is likely not the best choice.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboe8 View Post
They are slow to load, but as smart people know, starting out kids with a semi-auto 22 is likely not the best choice.
Several times I have seen someone, not always a child shoot and then not practice safe muzzle control. Yes it's poor firearms handing regardless of the action, but I much prefer that the chamber is empty or has a fired casing in it, rather than a live round.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Several times I have seen someone, not always a child shoot and then not practice safe muzzle control. Yes it's poor firearms handing regardless of the action, but I much prefer that the chamber is empty or has a fired casing in it, rather than a live round.
I am pretty sure he means that single shot Cooey's that need to be cocked are slow to load.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I am pretty sure he means that single shot Cooey's that need to be cocked are slow to load.
I understand that, I was responding to the other part of his post about semi autos not being a good choice for starting out children. I actually like the idea of a slower to load firearm for new shooters, as knowing that they don't have a quick second shot often encourages them to be more careful with the first shot.

Tags
.22, new shooter, newbie, range, spfga