Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

View Poll Results: 25'06 as a big game rifle
Yes, I have one and have zero complaints 54 78.26%
Yes, I have one but had some issues(post about that) 1 1.45%
No, I'd never own one because I know of someone who had isses(please post) 2 2.90%
No, I'd never own one because I think it is too small 12 17.39%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2009, 07:50 AM

Default 25'06 and big game

Gonna try this poll thing.

I've had one for years, and started out using it as a LR varmint/coyote rifle. After about 50 or so coyotes and some hideous exit wounds I decided to try it on big game.

I dont know how many deer I've taken with it, likley over 50, some as close as knife fighting range all the way out to 500yds. The 100gr. Partitons' and TSX's always seemed to get it done.

I've also take 4 moose (60 to 300yds), and 1 bull elk at 255yds. all these bigger critters died in a manner to suggest that perhaps the 25'06 is a bit better big game cartridge than many who have never used it consider it to be.

The moose and elk happened when I was out deer hunting and was not expecting to fill those tags. So yes I'd have likley gone to a more traditionally appropriate cartridge, but in the end the results were steller, and really opened my eyes to the 25'06 and it's capabilities.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 05-01-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:55 AM

Hey Dick. There is no option for "Don't own one yet but likely will in the future". That's where I would fit in. Good poll. It'll be interesting to see the outcome.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:03 AM

Wrong section, sorry gang.
Can one of the Mods please move it.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-01-2009, 08:04 AM

2506 one of my favourites. I have a Ruger, 3-9x40 Leupold VX2, Harris bipod.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 05-01-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt_and_fish View Post
Hey Dick. There is no option for "Don't own one yet but likely will in the future". That's where I would fit in. Good poll. It'll be interesting to see the outcome.

I almost put that one there, but I kind of want to here about folks who either have, or dont want to have.

You've obviously done your home work and know more about this than the "Keith" fans.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-01-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I almost put that one there, but I kind of want to here about folks who either have, or dont want to have.
Fair enough. That makes sense.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:37 AM

I've only own one for about 3 seasons, but it has been excellent. With 115 grain nosler partitions, 3 pass throughs on whitetails. I think 25 -30 yards has been as far as they got.

My only reget is I should have got one sooner.

Ed S.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 AM

I used 25-06 in a 700 Rem for many years and was very happy with it. I did not set out to intentionally hunt Elk or Moose with it and would have felt more than a little angst if i had to deal with a Grizz.

As a Deer/Pronghorn tool it was excellent and accurate. The explosive effect on varmints with a lighter bullet was downright satisfying. The easy access to cheap or free 30.06 brass was a bonus.
That being said, i long ago deserted the big boom, large powder capacity calibers for varmints and returned to the good old triple deuce (.222) for accuracy, lack of recoil, and much less money spent on loading.
I found that my .22-250 and .220 Swift were spectacular in effect and range but other than on the bench i was not hitting much in the real world at the vaunted 3-400 yd distances.

Regardless of the many testaments to the contrary, i do not believe it possible that the average hunter will always get/wait for the perfect angle of shot when hunting, so would not recommend it as an overall tool. Instead i would lean towards a cartridge with more sectional density, weight and energy for those situations where it counts.

No advice here on which cartridge for all around big game as i have seen and heard that endless argument for too many years.
Rather i think it more important that new hunters read much and make themselves more familiar with the capabilities of various calibers. Also try to get that info from long experienced hunters/shooters. A long time guide/outfitter is often the best source of real world evaluation of various cartridges.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:05 AM

Have 2 25 06 guns,a old Remington ADL and a 1971 made Sako both shoot incrediably well.
I dont think you can find a nicer round,the low recoil allows for precise shot placement and with the 120 grain slugs its not far if any behind the .270.

As with Dick I have taken everything from coyotes to moose and its never let me down. I also started my 12 year old son and some of his non shooting friends with it and in short order they were all shooting well,cant beat it

Good post Dick
Old 05-01-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
X2. Don't forget those of us who have done our research on this great calibre, but just didn't get our priorities right when we've been purchasing firearms. I'm a fand of calibres based on the good ole '06. I'll have one of these in my safe soon.

Quote:
I also started my 12 year old son and some of his non shooting friends with it and in short order they were all shooting well,cant beat it
That's my reasoning too, it'll be a great calibre for the boys when they get to that age. At least that's the story I'm going with.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:39 AM

This cartridge is definetly on my radar. I am in the market to buy a gun for my fiancee. I have it narrowed down to .270win, 25-06, and the 7mm-08. Not sure which is the best fit for her. She can handle a bit of recoil but I don't want her to develop a flinch.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:41 AM

My dad has one in a Tikka M 65. It's all he's used for 25 years on everything from coyotes to moose.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:05 AM

I bought one for my wife and she has shot 3 deer with it. My daughter uses it as well and has shot 2 moose, 1 elk and all her deer with it. I've shot 2 elk and many coyotes with it. All one shot kills. Can't find anything wrong with them yet except that I kinda/sorta bought it for me.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:25 AM

I bought my Ruger 2506 back in 1980 or so. When people asked what I was shootin I would state 2506 they would say whats that. Hey Jester think ya know who put me on the 2506.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 05-01-2009, 11:30 AM

Took a bull elk at 400 yards with mine, a black bear lengthways (half an inch from exiting out the arse), antelope, mule and whitetail deer. I'm not complaining it's been good to me. It's a Ruger M77 Mark II.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:16 PM

Don't have one yet, but thinking about rebarrelling my Titanium to 25-06. I have always been a fan of my 6MM Remington due to its accuracy, velocity and low recoil, and it too has folded some of the big animals. The 25-06 would give me a bit more zip and some slightly heavier bullets.

I have been very impressed with a buudy's 25-06 in the field.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:23 PM

Default 25-06

shot one for years 120gr solid bases bang flop and thats what its all about miss those red and black box,s
Old 05-01-2009, 02:09 PM

I've got one in a Browning BBR. It's a great shooter. Shoots 75gr. Sierras into small groups, 100gr. Rem. Corelokts into small groups, and 117gr. Hornady ILBT into small groups. It's just a great shooter all around. I haven't taken it deer hunting yet, as I have others to play with. Maybe this year I will though. It has shot many coyotes and badgers though.

I know quite a few guys that have them, and I've never heard much of a complaint, except what you mentioned about the excessive damage to a coyote.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:38 AM

I fairly new to hunting, (3 years) and did a LOT af reading on calibers and guns before i choose. Just because it was my first gun, I did not want to spend a lot of money on something I might not be comfortable with. I settled on a NEF handi-rifle in a 25-06. It has a 26 inch barrel that I liked and changed the stock to the choate one for comfort. In my opinion, (which does not weigh in for much) the 25-06 is probably one of the best calibers for these reasons....
1) flat shooting(around 3000fps in 120gr),
2) low recoil(less flinching),
3) reloading ease (availibility)
4) makes you focus on shot placement and 1 shot-1 kill mentalilty.
Love this caliber! I shot my first bull elk (5x5) 2 years ago, 225 yards through a narrow clearing. No problem. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:49 AM

i like the fact that a small projectile travelling fast does massive damage...
speed kills.
if i had to pick one gun for my hunting quarry and styles id get a 25

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 05-03-2009, 05:22 PM

Default the butcher's view

As an active butchershop owner, I hate all the small to medium size guns that are used for taking wild game. Yes, they are flat shooting and I'm sure they can be deadly accurate, but
my personal experience is that they wreck a lot of meat. And I'm not talking personal experience of my own kills, we are talking about 100 deer (+/-) every fall brought in , in varying conditions. When I see a carcass that has the crap literally blown out of it, I take it on myself to ask what they shot it with.
The worse case scenarios were: .243, 6mm, 25-06, and .270. These animals got shot with high velocity loads and light, flat shooting cartridges that for the most part explode on impact. Even with perfect shot placement, the amount of bruising and damage is normally extensive.
If you are simply looking to make an effective kill, these guns can reliably get the job done with great accuracy and minimal recoil to the shooter. Given proper shot placemnent, they are very humane.
If, however, you are a meat hunter, use a larger caliber (I usually see better results with at least a .308 cal) . If a larger caliber is not in the budget, at least use the largest, most well constructed bullets available that will not shatter on impact as easily.
After doing my own surveys at our abbatoir, I am convinced that bigger is better.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
As an active butchershop owner, I hate all the small to medium size guns that are used for taking wild game. Yes, they are flat shooting and I'm sure they can be deadly accurate, but
my personal experience is that they wreck a lot of meat. And I'm not talking personal experience of my own kills, we are talking about 100 deer (+/-) every fall brought in , in varying conditions. When I see a carcass that has the crap literally blown out of it, I take it on myself to ask what they shot it with.
The worse case scenarios were: .243, 6mm, 25-06, and .270. These animals got shot with high velocity loads and light, flat shooting cartridges that for the most part explode on impact. Even with perfect shot placement, the amount of bruising and damage is normally extensive.
If you are simply looking to make an effective kill, these guns can reliably get the job done with great accuracy and minimal recoil to the shooter. Given proper shot placemnent, they are very humane.
If, however, you are a meat hunter, use a larger caliber (I usually see better results with at least a .308 cal) . If a larger caliber is not in the budget, at least use the largest, most well constructed bullets available that will not shatter on impact as easily.
After doing my own surveys at our abbatoir, I am convinced that bigger is better.
Very well stated!!!!...shot placement is ultimate....as someone else has a tag line here......velocity and speed with a light jacketed bullet doesn't kill game, destruction of vital organs does that.....I'm very disappointed when the bullet exits the animal...IMO ..it didn't do it's job....why expend that energy on the land beyond the animal?????......had a 25/06 and loved it for all the reasons posted above....but....would be leery trying a bull elk at 400 yds., or anything else for that matter...just my 3 cents
Old 05-03-2009, 06:17 PM

hal if a person uses a good quality bullet designed to stay together you wont get the blow ups.
My son has been shooting a .243 with 85 grain partitions and getting complete pass throughs,in our 25 06 we have been using the 100 and 115 grain partitions with the same results and I wouldnt say any more blood shot meat than any other cartridge.I base this on having used a .280,78x57,7 mag just to name a few,the important part is a well constructed bullet not the caliber or a specific cartridge
Old 05-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
hal if a person uses a good quality bullet designed to stay together you wont get the blow ups.
My son has been shooting a .243 with 85 grain partitions and getting complete pass throughs,in our 25 06 we have been using the 100 and 115 grain partitions with the same results and I wouldnt say any more blood shot meat than any other cartridge.I base this on having used a .280,78x57,7 mag just to name a few,the important part is a well constructed bullet not the caliber or a specific cartridge
Yes... just agreeing with the butcher....bullet selection and shot placement is the key...not definitely slamming the caliber....bullets have evovled dramatically since I started handloading, as we always knew ,compared to factory loads...there is however some decent factory loads out there now for new shooters
Old 05-03-2009, 08:16 PM

Smile

Hal both you and the Butcher are right,a light bullet driven at max velocity is not always a good thing. If a person is going to use light calibers,and I am one of them ,in my opinion a premium type bulley should be used.
These will hold together better and allow for clean kills which is what we are all stiving for,providing as you both stated,the shooter does his part
Ian
Old 05-04-2009, 06:13 AM

56 votes.
3 who supossedly have had issues, yet only one post that explains the issues.

10 folks who seem to have an opinion based on a whole lot of nothing as well

It seems that for those who have one they really like it.

What a very interesting trend.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
I bought my Ruger 2506 back in 1980 or so. When people asked what I was shootin I would state 2506 they would say whats that. Hey Jester think ya know who put me on the 2506.
Yessir I do and if hunting is allowed in heaven then I'm sure Bob (RIP) is having a blast with his .25-06..