Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-26-2015, 08:04 PM

Default Hay Shortage and Hunting Permission

I was just reading yet another article on the current livestock feed situation and it got me to thinking if it's going to motivate ranchers who might not normally allow hunting to change their tune. I could imagine that many might be opting to high-fence off a storage pen for their bales or other protective measures, but their pastures are another matter and keeping those unmolested would be pretty important when feed is at a premium.

I've got my permission set, but I thought the theory might benefit some of you.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:06 PM

Don't think so. None of the ranchers I know is in dire straits and the ones that have elk problems have their feed fenced or other ways of dealing with it. The guys that usually give permission will still and the ones that don't will still say no. Price of hay is apparently coming down drastically, according to my neighbor. Things are actually pretty good here, compared to other parts of the province.

Grizz
Old 08-26-2015, 10:13 PM

I think down south here fire hazard is going to cause more of a problem for permission then anything else if we don't see any moisture soon.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macee View Post
I think down south here fire hazard is going to cause more of a problem for permission then anything else if we don't see any moisture soon.
nailed it ..I can see the same problem arising in the forest reserve like it did a few years ago when people were kept out for the same reason .
Old 08-27-2015, 07:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Don't think so. None of the ranchers I know is in dire straits and the ones that have elk problems have their feed fenced or other ways of dealing with it. The guys that usually give permission will still and the ones that don't will still say no. Price of hay is apparently coming down drastically, according to my neighbor. Things are actually pretty good here, compared to other parts of the province.

Grizz
Pretty much polar opposite of the conversation I had yesterday with a landowner while I was "attempting" to retreive a cam.(more on that later )
Anyhow...central AB also(348) and he's quite concerned that he won't have enough feed for winter.40 bales from a field that normally produces 150-200,and the price of bales up 500% from last year.

.....and of course I was thrilled to find my trailcam stolen from private land where I have sole permission....just as my landowner was equally thrilled to learn that trespassers shot an elk in his field during last week of Nov after I had left a week earlier....most likely the same poaching scumbags that stole my cam,as they most certainly would have walked past it to retreive their ill-gotten elk!
WMU 348,township 55-10-W5 poachin' theivn' douchebag alert!!

Last edited by grinr; 08-27-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
^^ Many tracks of land will be closed due to concerns of high fire hazzards
Old 08-27-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
WMU 348,township 55-10-W5 poachin' theivn' douchebag alert!!
Not really sure where that's at you are missing the first number. I hunt 348 and 507 and have heard from a few landowners that trespassing and poaching is happening more and more. Too bad people don't respect things anymore.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:17 AM

I don't think it'll mean more permission granted.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak12 View Post
Not really sure where that's at you are missing the first number. I hunt 348 and 507 and have heard from a few landowners that trespassing and poaching is happening more and more. Too bad people don't respect things anymore.
Haha,well that's the point,I'm not about to post a map to my treestands,lol. I've actually intentionally omitted the first two LSD numbers,but 55-10 is the township/range.....I'm thinking narrowing it down to 36 sq miles is close enough for a heads up to be aware of trespassing/poaching thieves working the area?
.....and possibly the Wildwood/Chip Lk scumbags with a free new WGI cam read this,you know who you are.....and the landowner has a pretty damn good idea as well as he heard about the elk thru the grapevine....sleep well.

Last edited by grinr; 08-27-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I have been told this by two land owners when I asked about permission for an elk hunt down south. But thankfully my tag is mid Nov to December so they said you should be good but call again in Oct.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Haha,well that's the point,I'm not about to post a map to my treestands,lol. I've actually intentionally omitted the first two LSD numbers,but 55-10 is the township/range.....I'm thinking narrowing it down to 36 sq miles is close enough for a heads up to be aware of trespassing/poaching thieves working the area?
.....and possibly the Wildwood/Chip Lk scumbags with a free new WGI cam read this,you know who you are.....and the landowner has a pretty damn good idea as well as he heard about the elk thru the grapevine....sleep well.
Ya what are the first two parts of the LSD be interestinng as i live in the area
Old 08-28-2015, 02:06 PM

Interesting theory.

I talked to a land owner the other day in Beaver County. They declared an agricultural disaster but he said hes got enough hay off his fields to easily make it through the winter. He's a beef farmer. He said that maybe some of the bigger operations might be affected. Either way he said he hopes the price of beef stays high. My cousin in Saskatchewan on the other hand says he has to buy feed this year and is not looking forward to it because it was going to cost him a fortune. I would guess it all depends on how the hay did on a particular piece of property. My guess would be some would be good and some bad and there is always a few farmers who factor in deer feed.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm525xc View Post
Ya what are the first two parts of the LSD be interestinng as i live in the area
Haha...you probly know the place then,it's that half section of mixed bush/pasture bordered on the west by 1/2 section hayfield,just past the old barn.Ya know where the lake is....ok,it's nowheres near there.