Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-24-2015, 01:17 PM

Default I'm new there, from Quebec

Hi,

I'm new there and I want to know new people and learn from you guys.
I want to hunt in your province for Sheeps and Elk. This forum seems to be THE place to learn and talk with people about those type of hunts.

I'm also an outdoor photographer and videographer.

This is some pictures of my hunts for Big game. I also hunt a lot for waterfowl and fish for atlantic salmon.

Me and my friend Thomas

We have the opportunity to practice this activity in about 30 minutes from us, which greatly facilitates travel to see what happens in our various spots.

Again this year my partners and I were very positive about the new season that starts. The summer we were allowed to see a lot of game and of course to build trust with the various surveillance cameras that we use on our territory.
19 in the morning when we arrived in our respective caches, the excitement was up but unfortunately the presence of moose was zero. The cameras had not recorded anything since the 15th. We still kept caches and keep hope that appear as we expected, without success. After 5 days without success we have come to the conclusion that the moose had to leave the area and it was time for us to get a little further. Right decision for Wednesday afternoon around 2:45 we had the chance to shoot a big calf moose with an imposing stature. No rack but a lot of meat.

This is a real passion that motivates us every season to put so much time and effort to improve our hunting.
-
Anticosti Island

Alex with is first buck

The buck in the truck

Alex and Math with the buck

The rack that I shot on the last morning of the last day.

My two partner and the bull.

Me on the Grande Cascapedia

Me and my friends, last spring snowgeese hunt of 2015.
Here is the clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-sh...ature=youtu.be

Looking forward for the next hunting season who's coming at us.
Thanks and I hope to learn from your experience in the mountains.

Last edited by FGTV; 08-24-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:33 PM
Banned

You photos are nice. Welcome to the forum.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:36 PM

So you dont live in Alberta? You just want to come here and hunt Sheep and Elk?
Old 08-24-2015, 01:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Welcome to AO. So you are still living in Quebec?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-24-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
You photos are nice. Welcome to the forum.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckwell View Post
So you dont live in Alberta? You just want to come here and hunt Sheep and Elk?
No I'm in Quebec. Learning about other species is great for me. I can't come to AB and hunt for theses species without win at the draw and without my cousin who live in Calgary and who will be my Hunter host.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Welcome to AO. So you are still living in Quebec?
Yep, still in Quebec.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:52 PM
Banned

Old 08-24-2015, 02:20 PM

it is good to have contact with people from other provinces to exchange experiences and ideas
Old 08-24-2015, 03:29 PM

Bonjour,

TBark
Old 08-24-2015, 06:06 PM

Default Q

Can Albertans come to Quebec and hunt with a hunter host? Can Albertans come to Quebec and hunt at all without hiring an outfitter?
Old 08-24-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
Lol.....
Old 08-24-2015, 07:06 PM

Welcome to the forum, after seeing those pics can I come hunt with you?

Good luck getting your draws and thanks for posting,
Old 08-24-2015, 07:08 PM

Talking moose welcomes you!
Old 08-24-2015, 07:15 PM

Welcome to the Circus.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 08-25-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B. View Post
it is good to have contact with people from other provinces to exchange experiences and ideas
That's what I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Bonjour,

TBark
Salut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWN View Post
Welcome to the forum, after seeing those pics can I come hunt with you?

Good luck getting your draws and thanks for posting,
I think to come just to scout and take pictures and learn from the terrain. Live the experience without hunting can be great too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhawk View Post
Can Albertans come to Quebec and hunt with a hunter host? Can Albertans come to Quebec and hunt at all without hiring an outfitter?
In Quebec you only need to buy your tag and find a place to hunt. Crown lands are generally crowded. We have Zec's, wich are controlled area and the SEPAQ wich is an outfitter owned by the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Talking moose welcomes you!
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Welcome to the Circus.
Thanks
Old 08-25-2015, 08:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Guessing you're not going to anyhow,with yet another AO topic hinting of anti-east sentiments,but.....fwiw,yes you can do DIY hunts in Quebec/no outfitter nor guide required.

Beauty salmon btw!!
Fishing both the Gaspè and Anticosti are high on my bucket list.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Guessing you're not going to anyhow,with yet another AO topic hinting of anti-east sentiments,but.....fwiw,yes you can do DIY hunts in Quebec/no outfitter nor guide required.

Beauty salmon btw!!
Send me a PM if you come in Quebec for fishing.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:58 AM
Banned

That'd be great,thx!
I try to get back to NB every year(or two ) for Miramichi salmon....maybe a side trip to Gaspe next time?
Old 08-25-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Beauty salmon btw!!
Not exactly. Here is a summary of the regulations for non residents hunting in Quebec:

A non-resident is subject to certain restrictions concerning the purchase of hunting licences and access to certain territories or hunting areas according to the game hunted. The restrictions are indicated below.

Caribou: A non-resident may obtain only one caribou hunting licence, for Area 22B or the western part of Area 23. He must always use the services of an outfitter. A specific licence is offered to non-residents domiciled in Canada. The bag limit is two caribou per year (from August 17 to January 30) and the non-resident may not hunt in more than one area.
White-tailed deer: A non-resident may neither hold an antlerless deer hunting licence (random draw) nor an antlerless deer hunting licence (1st killing, random draw).
Moose: A non-resident is subject to the measure that applies to the area licence He is also subject, in the same way as a resident, to the rule whereby he must purchase his licence before midnight on the date indicated (see page 7) if he wishes to use it during the firearm hunting period. Furthermore, he is not permitted to hold a female moose hunting licence (random draw).
Black bear and American woodcock: A non-resident must use at least two services offered by an outfitting operation, including accommodation, unless he hunts the species in a wildlife reserve or a controlled harvesting zone (ZEC). What is more, if he hunts black bear in an outfitting operation without exclusive rights in Area 13 and Area 16, he must, in addition to his regular black bear hunting licence, hold a special licence issued by the operator of the outfitting operation. bec:

I do not hold an anti east sentiment. I hold an anti Quebec sentiment.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
That'd be great,thx!
I try to get back to NB every year(or two ) for Miramichi salmon....maybe a side trip to Gaspe next time?
No problem, PM me when you will come here and let's hit the Bonaventure or any other river on the Gaspé Peninsula.

Quote:
Not exactly. Here is a summary of the regulations for non residents hunting in Quebec:

A non-resident is subject to certain restrictions concerning the purchase of hunting licences and access to certain territories or hunting areas according to the game hunted. The restrictions are indicated below.

Caribou: A non-resident may obtain only one caribou hunting licence, for Area 22B or the western part of Area 23. He must always use the services of an outfitter. A specific licence is offered to non-residents domiciled in Canada. The bag limit is two caribou per year (from August 17 to January 30) and the non-resident may not hunt in more than one area.
White-tailed deer: A non-resident may neither hold an antlerless deer hunting licence (random draw) nor an antlerless deer hunting licence (1st killing, random draw).
Moose: A non-resident is subject to the measure that applies to the area licence He is also subject, in the same way as a resident, to the rule whereby he must purchase his licence before midnight on the date indicated (see page 7) if he wishes to use it during the firearm hunting period. Furthermore, he is not permitted to hold a female moose hunting licence (random draw).
Black bear and American woodcock: A non-resident must use at least two services offered by an outfitting operation, including accommodation, unless he hunts the species in a wildlife reserve or a controlled harvesting zone (ZEC). What is more, if he hunts black bear in an outfitting operation without exclusive rights in Area 13 and Area 16, he must, in addition to his regular black bear hunting licence, hold a special licence issued by the operator of the outfitting operation. bec:

I don't want to start a thread on if you like people from the province of Quebec or not, simply talk about different type of hunting then what I know.

Have a nice day.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:25 AM
Banned

Quote:

I'm not claiming to know ALL of the regs for Quebec,I'm just saying that is definately possible to hunt DIY for many species and areas,although I haven't done so myself.
ie;I grew up in NB where it is VERY difficult to draw a moose tag,and prior to moving to AB 4yrs ago,my buds and I were planning a DIY moose hunt in QU,with over the counter non-res tags available.
Another NB bud of mine goes to Anticosti every other year for DIY deer with a 2 buck limit.....jest sayn'.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I'm not claiming to know ALL of the regs for Quebec,I'm just saying that is definately possible to hunt DIY for many species and areas,although I haven't done so myself.
ie;I grew up in NB where it is VERY difficult to draw a moose tag,and prior to moving to AB 4yrs ago,my buds and I were planning a DIY moose hunt in QU,with over the counter non-res tags available.
Another NB bud of mine goes to Anticosti every other year for DIY deer with a 2 buck limit.....jest sayn'.
You can do a DIY moose hunt for pretty cheap, a drop in camp by float plane in remote area cost only 1000$ per person for a week. That includes a camp with propane stove and fridge. Only thing, it's a party hunt, so you need 2 or 3 tags for 1 moose.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
You can do a DIY moose hunt for pretty cheap, a drop in camp by float plane in remote area cost only 1000$ per person for a week. That includes a camp with propane stove and fridge. Only thing, it's a party hunt, so you need 2 or 3 tags for 1 moose.
Yes,exactly what we were planning to do at the time,but it was a remote lakeside cabin accessed by boat(supplied) for $800/wk pp if I remember correctly,and 2 hunters per tag,so 4 of us could have taken 2 moose.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Yes,exactly what we were planning to do at the time,but it was a remote lakeside cabin accessed by boat(supplied) for $800/wk pp if I remember correctly,and 2 hunters per tag,so 4 of us could have taken 2 moose.
Where in Quebec are you looking to go?
Old 08-25-2015, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGTV View Post
Where in Quebec are you looking to go?
Well nowheres now really,lol...that was several years ago when I lived in NB,but as I remember it,we "were" looking at the Gaspe region,as it would have been much less distance to travel,but I think it was more difficult to get tags there or something(?),then the cabin/boat deal with tags that we found was more like Val D'or/Noranda area.....I can't recall exactly?
Ended up never going anyhow,as our lil group of hunting buds had a string of good luck for the next few years where one of us either drew an NB moose tag or else we got invited to partner,guide,or simply come to camp or wutever on another tag,but Quebec was our "Plan B" for a few years at least?
Old 08-25-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Well nowheres now really,lol...that was several years ago when I lived in NB,but as I remember it,we "were" looking at the Gaspe region,as it would have been much less distance to travel,but I think it was more difficult to get tags there or something(?),then the cabin/boat deal with tags that we found was more like Val D'or/Noranda area.....I can't recall exactly?
Ended up never going anyhow,as our lil group of hunting buds had a string of good luck for the next few years where one of us either drew an NB moose tag or else we got invited to partner,guide,or simply come to camp or wutever on another tag,but Quebec was our "Plan B" for a few years at least?
Good plan. Gaspe Peninsula and Bas St-Laurent have a lot of moose but the crown lands are crowded.

I make the draw for NB moose this year, nothing positive for me.

Pm me if you come here.

Have a nice season!
Old 08-26-2015, 09:24 AM

Default Bonjour

Welcome to AOF. Alberta is a great place to hunt. I came from Quebec many years ago and still own a place near Mont Tremblant that I visit once in a while.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:02 PM

I think an outfitter is required north of 53 parallel in QC, if IIRC.
But why would anyone from AB want to go there...? AB has one of the best hunting in NA.
Nice pics, OP.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:33 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
Bonjournal comrade of the wild!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-27-2015, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by h&t View Post
I think an outfitter is required north of 53 parallel in QC, if IIRC.
But why would anyone from AB want to go there...? AB has one of the best hunting in NA.
Nice pics, OP.
Perhaps for a "relatively inexpensive" caribou hunt,or for a DIY,over the counter tags moose hunt that is likely the least expensive non-res moose hunt option in North America?
Old 08-28-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Perhaps for a "relatively inexpensive" caribou hunt,or for a DIY,over the counter tags moose hunt that is likely the least expensive non-res moose hunt option in North America?
For a DIY Caribou hunt you have to make the draw: Here are the info (in french) http://www.sepaq.com/tirages/chasse_...ot?drawCode=CA