Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-27-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
But I would never tell someone to leave. It's they're own ethics that should dictate that.

And yours the same if they are there first....
Old 08-27-2015, 12:27 PM

I haven't sat in a stand I didn't build ( I have come across a few)
If I did sometime decide to sit in one and the builder happened to show up. I would not hesitate to vacate the stand and find another spot!
I gather from this thread that I should not expect the same courtesy from others!! Each to his own I guess.
This is the reason why all my stands are put up with screw steps and the steps are removed when I am not there.
There is too much work put into hunting preparation , to have my stands stolen or occupied by "stand pirates" that are unwilling to do their own work and prep!

My 0.02 worth
Old 08-28-2015, 08:31 AM

I have sat in a guys stand on private property ... the only reason I did though was cause I couldn't find my dads stand.... and the next time I went the guy was sitting in it and he ask why so I told him why I sat in it then he pointed out my dads stand and I was starting to leave but he told me to sit in my dads stand which was 40 yards away... I would not have shot at anything that would have came out for he was there first....
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 08-28-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
I have an awesome 2 man ladder stand up on crown land in a great spot. I went to great lengths to put it in the right spot. A combination of a great funnel, as well as a spot that it's likely no other hunter will ever lay eyes on it.

that having been said, if it's stolen, ....that's on me...that's the risk I take.
Equally, if one morning I trek into it and I find someone sitting in it, too bad for me. I'll certainly stop for a visit before I turn back, but if the other hunter chooses to stay there for whatever reason....too bad for me, it's PUBLIC land. first come first serve.
I won't threaten him with any passive aggressive internet pseudo violence, nor will I get a chain saw and cut the tree down. I'll wish him luck, and hope that when I return to the stand another day, that he didn't leave me a present on the seat, lol.

It's public land....I hold no delusions that hanging a stand, no matter how many days before the season started, stakes my claim to that spot.

I'm sure there's a guy somewhere that hunted that spot long before me. I hope he's not gonna show up one day and tell me to get out of "his" spot. If he does, and I end up staying, it won't be because I hung a piece of hardware on a tree.

Now...I think I'm gonna go for a nice evening walk on the banks of the NSR and stick a bunch of rod holders in the banks....just so that part of the shore is free if I ever want to fish there.

Cheers guys, have a great season, and don't forget to wear a mouth guard and brass knuckles if your hunting public land this year.
I salute you from all my heart, you are a decent hunter
Old 08-29-2015, 07:06 AM

Default Ethics

Honker, that's a classy post and I agree with you wholeheartedly.