Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-27-2015, 12:54 PM

Big Congratulations Bdub! Great Ram and awesome mass!
I have to agree class 4 Ram and the ones we want to see taken!
Looking forward to more pics! The pictures just don't do him justice!
Barely looks 4/5ths on the one side and no where close to full curl on the other!
I still like the Potty Rule! proposal! Over the full curl any day! 4/5ths both sides!
Nice Ram
Bluedog
Old 08-27-2015, 12:58 PM

BDub, if the potty rule was in effect, would you have pulled the trigger? tough to watch a stud ram like that walk away. great ram congrats!!!
Old 08-27-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
Big Congratulations Bdub! Great Ram and awesome mass!
I have to agree class 4 Ram and the ones we want to see taken!
Looking forward to more pics! The pictures just don't do him justice!
Barely looks 4/5ths on the one side and no where close to full curl on the other!
I still like the Potty Rule! proposal! Over the full curl any day! 4/5ths both sides!
Nice Ram
Bluedog
Thanks sir. I'll try and get a few more pics up today and maybe a little story on the hunt if I get a chance.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedogg View Post
BDub, if the potty rule was in effect, would you have pulled the trigger? tough to watch a stud ram like that walk away. great ram congrats!!!
Well he would make broomed at 4/5 plus on the one side and he is just at full on the other side and just starting to broom. That is what I would like to see as the definition of a legal ram. They have to meet both or a combination of the two. Either broomed >4/5 on both or broomed >4/5 and full curl on the other side. That will let some Rams get old and still give us the chance to harvest those older broomed Rams that might not make full curl. I wish that proposal was being given serious consideration. Might be hard to regulate and determine something like brooming, but they do it in other jurisdictions so?
Old 08-27-2015, 02:21 PM

Sweet!!!
Old 08-27-2015, 02:51 PM

Double 4/5ths will keep most rams alive for two more yrs on average and will be an easy adjustment for all to incorporate, the broomed thing leaves too much for interpretation I believe. once again, congrats on a stud Ram!!!
Old 08-27-2015, 03:52 PM

Wicked Ram Byron! congrats to you and Brandon both! you guys put in some serious time and effort and are very deserving of your harvests!

Have a great season and hopefully we will bump into each other out there soon!
Old 08-27-2015, 06:13 PM

Here is my story from the notes i took on the hunt.

Aug 20. Leave at 430. Get to first camp. Unload gear and climb onto moose ridge to glass a bunch of basins. Nothing spotted after a while so head down and continue to second camp. Rains started about 12 pm. Make it to second camp. Get set up and hope for the weather to clear off.
Aug 21. Still raining turning to snow. Spend morning and afternoon having fire. Snow rain all day but starting to clear in the evening. Weather finally cleared overnite so we will be travelling again.
Aug 22. Made it to third camp about noon. Bush wet but drying out. Brandon tweeked knee. Set up camp and then i headed to hump ridge. Seen 4 rams on e ridge and 17 ewes below hump. Seen 4 rams n of camp. Looked like a good one in the bunch but didn't give us enough time to get the spotter on him. Pad thai for supper tonight.
Aug 23 10 rams on ridge n of camp. Looks like a good one in the bunch. About noon they headed down to trees. Went to pass. 30 ewes near hump and on w ridge. 4 rams on ridge right above camp. Other rams tucked into head of basin.
Aug 24 Rams n of camp again this am. They head down into the bowl by midday. Head to hump to see if they leave the bowl. Nothing left by late day so hoping they must be still in there. A bit of a tough time sleeping just waiting and wondering how tomorrow will go.
Aug 25 up early but had two guys come by camp and then head up the ridge above where we last seen the rams just as we were getting ready to head out. Not good, heart is in the stomach. No idea another group was in the country and probably looking at the same ram. Just going to stick with our original game plan. Headed into the basin where we last seen the rams and just hoping for the sheep gods to smile on us. Brandon headed to hump in case the rams head the other way. Made it into the basin 1/2 hour before shooting light. Was only there for not long when i heard rocks falling and spotted sheep coming down the side of the basin. It was still to dark to tell what was what. Get the spotter set up and ready. I thought the sheep were going to continue across the basin and climb out of their, but instead the Rams stopped and bedded 300 yard straight above me in the shale. Waited for it to get a bit lighter out and i could check over the rams. Sure enough he was in the bunch still. Had to wait for another ram to get up and move out of the way, all the time hoping it wouldn't take to long and wondering where the other hunters ended up. It was beyond nerve wracking. Before long the rams shifted around and bedded again. Double checked through the spotter to make sure i had the right ram and then shot him in his bed. 300 yard shot and the ram never got out of his bed, just tipped over. Climb up to him and finally get to hold those horns. The sheep gods were with us today on the mountain and gave me a great trophy. It was almost to much to take in. The other hunters (Andrew and Dave) came down the side of the basin to look at the ram and offer congrats. I have met Andrew before so that was something to run into him in this situation. Sorry about that Andrew. Packed head out to camp and came back for meat. Caped out head, boned out meat, packed up camp and made it out about 2/3 of the way.
Aug 26 continue out and home. Dead tired.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:07 PM

Congrats! Beauty ram! There is some " luck" in every successful hunt !
Old 08-27-2015, 08:36 PM

Once again congrats. How old is he? I think I see 9.5. A true general tag trophy!
Old 08-27-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lr1000 View Post
Once again congrats. How old is he? I think I see 9.5. A true general tag trophy!
Thanks again LR. We are getting 9.5, maybe 10.5 as the last ring close to the skull is questionable. Still waiting to get him registered and ill let you know where they age him at.

Just heard from the Andrew in my story and they just got out with another ram. Hoping to see it tomorrow. Congrats to Andrew on a well deserved ram. What an effort.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:26 PM

Congrats on a great ram!!! sounds like he was well deserved!
Old 08-27-2015, 09:40 PM

Congratulations! Beauty of a ram
Old 08-27-2015, 09:41 PM

Good to hear Andrew connected as well. The Rams are out there for those who choose to put in the effort!!!👍
Old 08-27-2015, 10:40 PM

Awesome ram.. Big time congrats
Old 08-28-2015, 05:34 AM

Nice ram!..Congrats!
Old 08-28-2015, 07:07 AM

Pretty nice
Old 08-28-2015, 08:11 AM

Congrats on a real nice ram.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:42 AM

awesome

Old 08-28-2015, 08:51 AM

Gorgeous ram. Congrats. Love the mass
Old 08-28-2015, 08:52 AM

Great ram, congrats.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:07 PM

Default Congratulations

Byron,

Awesome reading your story! You are a stand up guy who hunts sheep the right way and for the right reasons. It was tough for us (glorious for you!) how it played out with you getting that ram but I am genuinely happy for you as I know how hard you have hunted that country and how you have been searching for that awesome older ram!

I think that the experience I gained in watching that ram for the two days leading up to opener allowed me to make better calls in the field in the days ahead. David and I had an awesome hunt, saw some great country and ended up with a nice ram on a hunt that pushed my physical and mental limits. Once again, Congratulations!!!!

When I finish butchering my meat I will write the story of Byron's great ram from our perspective!!!

Andrew
Old 08-28-2015, 08:50 PM

Sweeeet!!!
Old 08-29-2015, 12:59 AM

Old 08-29-2015, 08:14 AM

Default Byron's Ram from our perspective

Aug- 18-I was up in Hinton last week and did a scouting trip. As luck would have it over the few days I spotted a band of 8 rams- The best one looked heavy and seemed broomed on his right. His left looked a bit better.I got back to Red Deer later that week and decided to get back up to that country to try after him.

Aug. 22- I drove back up and had a long hike into base camp with heavy packs. My brother in law (my long time sheep hunting partner) was with me and I had spent the month previous guiding in NWT so my legs were fit and we were pretty optimistic to get back on the rams. We set up camp in a valley bottom in the general area I had seen the band earlier that week and cleared a bunch of snow out to set up the tent. Two sets of boot prints on the trail as we came in and the smell of a recently burned fire. I figured I would run into other hunters everywhere so I wasn't too concerned.

Aug. 23- We were up early and up on a glassing ridge. We located the band by 9 am. 10 rams this time. The same heavy ram was still in there. They were close to where they had been earlier in the week and the one looked good but we had to get a closer look.We were about 2.5 kms away and I couldn't make out the tip with my swaro hd 65. We went down to the camp, packed up the tent and moved our camp closer to where we had spotted them. We got up again on a second ridge and picked up the rams again as they had fed down into a basin. Watched them feed back up onto the same ridge they were earlier. Got a better look and we were pretty confident he was legal on his left. Broomed back not legal or too close to call on his right. Back down to the camp at dark.

Aug. 24- Up early and up on the same ridge we watched them bed on the night before. Located them about 9 am at 800 yards. Watched them for a few hours and the potential shooter would not give us a view of his left side. Right confirmed too close to shoot but a front on angle view showed some tip coming up on his left horn and longer then his right so we were optimistic. The band fed a bit in the timber, split up and 6 rams went back down into the basin they were in the day before. We snuck down on the trees and got on them again at 400 yards as they were quite low and we had great cover. They were bedded about 100 yards from where Byron would end up shooting the ram. We finally got a good look at his left. Got some good pics through the scope and confirmed he was legal. !! Both of us were excited. I had never shot a bighorn so this was getting pretty sweet as we were on a good ram on the night before opener. They fed past us at 250 yards and went up on a ridge. We backed off and watched them until we couldn't see them any more. They bedded down high in a small draw and we planned our stalk to be on them for first light.

We were pretty confident looking at the above angle that he would be good on his left.

We were 100% with this pic and an even better view through the scope which had a true side profile. This one we could still get his eye behind and he wasn't at perfect side profile. As a newer hunter for bighorns, this was what I needed to be confident with the next days attempt.

Aug 25- after a worried sleep, we were up at 4 and up the horse trail. We came near Byron's camp at 4:30 am and spotted each other. (up until this point we had only seen some boot prints)

We bailed off the horse trail and headed straight up the ridge to where we had watched the rams bed down the night before. We watched Byron's headlamp move down in the valley bottom and tension was high.

We snuck up to exactly where we wanted and covered the last few 100 yards especially slow. The wind was good and I was confident of our play given what we had seen and what the conditions were. I set up behind a tiny bush around 5:55 and started to wait for the 6:18 legal light. I figured I was about 150 yards from where they had bedded down. As the light got better I got a sick feeling in my stomach as the rams were nowhere to be seen. I was confident we were in the right spot and was hesitant to move as I figured they must be close. I finally decided to creep over the edge, where they had been feeding the night before to see if they were there. I went down with the wind, cleared the top of that side of the ridge, and then snuck over into the wind on the other side. Nothing....

All of a sudden a shot rang out from the basin below. Then another. I was devastated as I crept over the side and watched only 5/6 rams scamper away. My hunting partner was encouraging and we decided to go over in case the hunter had missed or wounded it back up towards us.

This was not the case as I could see a ram on his back about 900 yards below us.

Why the rams decided to feed down before legal light and bed down right above Byron I will never know! It was tough to take but I sucked it up and walked down to check out the ram, congratulate the hunter and hopefully get some advice, insight or intel on other rams that had been spotted by him.

I was super shocked when I got about 20 yards from the ram and the hunter to see it was Byron. We had chatted on the forum and met once in Hinton but I had no idea where he hunted and given how big the country was and how far back we were it was pretty wild that we were both on the same ram. Freaky weird!

I couldn't stay too long as I was pretty sad but I couldn't help but feel a bit happy watching Byron and his ram. I have watched many guys kill sheep and you can see it on a person when the harvest really means something to the hunter. This was definitely the case for him. I also felt a lot of frustration and after some pictures and congratulations, we buggered off. As we walked away, David said "That wasn't how I was expecting to walk up to a dead ram" and "Its pretty weird that we have pictures of a dead ram on our camera that isn't our ram!"

Not too many words were said between my hunting partner and I. Both of us just tried to figure out how our "perfect hunt" had ended so quickly and so wrong. We ate breakfast and packed up camp. We still had three days to hunt and it was only 9 am on opening day. As far as hunting experiences had gone, that was a tough one but not as frustrating as something that had gone wrong by a mistake on my part. We had played those rams perfectly and had done a stalk that I would do again exactly the same given the fact we knew the high chances other hunters would have been watching those rams. I am confident that we would of spotted the shooter below and shot him that morning if Byron had not.

I was still pretty choked and we packed up camp and headed up the horse trail. We ran into Byron again at camp with the ram's head. More Congratulations, a quick look over a map with him and I put my head down and started covering some ground. I needed to go for a walk to clear my head!

Last edited by North; 08-29-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:40 AM

Sorry about shooting that ram out from under you Andrew. Not sure why the rams headed my way that morning other than just being lucky and having the sheep gods smiling on us that day. Congrats again on the ram you ended up getting. You guys worked your tails off for that one, very well deserved.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:42 AM

^ Wow! That is a tough story to read I know your pain! Way to gut check, man up and shake hands though.

Any pictures or stories on the ram you got that trip?
Old 08-29-2015, 08:44 AM

Great write up and awesome photos Andrew, neat to get a different perspective of the same hunt. I look forward to a thread on the remainder of your hunt.😎
Old 08-29-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mountain mike View Post
Great write up Andrew, neat to get a different perspective of the same hunt. I look forward to a thread on the remainder of your hunt.😎
For sure. Hope you have time to write up the rest of it Andrew. I think you two young guys are half goat, half wolf after seeing the pics and your story of the rest of the hunt.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:53 AM

Awsome read, thanks for that guys. Very envious