Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-27-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Yes there have been poaching convictions in Alberta...
What is the section that says no person shall poach?

http://globalnews.ca/news/1442064/hu...s-left-to-rot/

Poaching covers a lot of different things and typically you get a big list like in the above link. Hunting out of season, hunting at night, possessing illegally taken game etc.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:58 PM
Banned

I don't consider most of that poaching
Old 08-27-2015, 08:15 PM

Default Hmmm

I would say that if you are asking others opinions and announcing over the forum, you probably should also let the people in which you speak of know your concerns. If you lose a friend or two over your integrity, than they aren't very much of friends.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:19 PM

Poaching or poachers is a generic term (it's not a legal term) used to describe people who break fishing or hunting regulations while hunting or fishing. Example you are considered to be a poacher if you use bait where bait is not allowed even if you don't catch a fish your still poaching, using barbed hook where only barbless are allowed, if you use lead shot to hunt ducks, if you shoot a deer and put someone else's tag on it, if you shoot an animal after or before legal light, trespassing, hunting out of season all these and a million other things will get you called a poacher. A poacher is a person who breaks rules in the killing of fish or wildlife or in the attempt to kill fish or wildlife.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:31 PM

A simplified version of what some of the things Alberta SRD considers to be poaching:
http://www.reportapoacher.com/index....e-regulations/
Old 08-27-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
I specifically used the word "method" to prevent confusion. I see you missed this point

Poaching is where an individual with-out a valid wildlife certificate or valid tag / permit for that species harvests said animal.

Having a loaded firearm in a vehicle is illegal, does this make the guilty party a poacher ?
Your definition of poaching is missing some criteria...
Old 08-28-2015, 01:21 AM

Who here would report a 17 year old alone with a firearm hunting? It's illegal, time to save the world guys!

Throw booze into the equation anytime too, that should make things interesting! It's illegal to hunt impaired, but how many of you have a drink at any point in the hunt. It's not illegal until you are legally impaired, time to bring your breathalyzers with you!
Old 08-28-2015, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
A wise man once told me;

Do you know what they call a guy that shoots a true Boone and Crockett buck?
Lucky.

Do you know what they call a guy who has killed more than one Boone and Crockett bucks?
Poacher.
This has always been my thoughts to
Old 08-28-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Poaching or poachers is a generic term (it's not a legal term) used to describe people who break fishing or hunting regulations while hunting or fishing. Example you are considered to be a poacher if you use bait where bait is not allowed even if you don't catch a fish your still poaching, using barbed hook where only barbless are allowed, if you use lead shot to hunt ducks, if you shoot a deer and put someone else's tag on it, if you shoot an animal after or before legal light, trespassing, hunting out of season all these and a million other things will get you called a poacher. A poacher is a person who breaks rules in the killing of fish or wildlife or in the attempt to kill fish or wildlife.
This is what I was trying to get at with my link in a previous post.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
Who here would report a 17 year old alone with a firearm hunting? It's illegal, time to save the world guys!

Throw booze into the equation anytime too, that should make things interesting! It's illegal to hunt impaired, but how many of you have a drink at any point in the hunt. It's not illegal until you are legally impaired, time to bring your breathalyzers with you!
If I encounter someone hunting, that I believe to be impaired, I will definitely report them. I don't want to hear about someone being killed by some idiot that was impaired and handling a loaded firearm. As for having a drink during the hunt, we don't drink alcohol until the hunting is done for the day, and then we might have one or two drinks that evening.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If I encounter someone hunting, that I believe to be impaired, I will definitely report them. I don't want to hear about someone being killed by some idiot that was impaired and handling a loaded firearm. As for having a drink during the hunt, we don't drink alcohol until the hunting is done for the day, and then we might have one or two drinks that evening.
Lol, to even suggest that having a few before hunting is something people do on a regular basis kind of raised my hackles. The last sporting activity I would consider doing under the influence is one that involves a firearm. I have to agree with you here, after the hunt is over for the day, kick back and have all you want.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Lol, to even suggest that having a few before hunting is something people do on a regular basis kind of raised my hackles. The last sporting activity I would consider doing under the influence is one that involves a firearm. I have to agree with you here, after the hunt is over for the day, kick back and have all you want.

Exactly, if a person has been drinking , and you need a breathalyzer to determine if that person is legally impaired or not, then that person should not be handling loaded firearms.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Why didn't you comment on the 17 year old? We all know how to tell if someone is impaired and that's fine, easy enough. Let the CEO take care of the breathalyzer test. Would be interesting if someone was called in for having one beer next to the animal he just downed though.
Always interesting how others extend the original question to the worst case scenario. Duh, who wouldn't expect to be reported if you were hunting impaired. It's like saying if I see a suspected drunk driver I would call them in, I sure hope so!
Old 08-28-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Exactly, if a person has been drinking , and you need a breathalyzer to determine if that person is legally impaired or not, then that person should not be handling loaded firearms.
That's fine, but let's make this clear here your ethics are not the law. No matter how much you believe them, the law is the law. Ethics have to be ruled out of the equation.
If you believe so strongly on the laws being adhered to, go ahead and report the 17 year old out hunting alone on his property.
While your at it, you should report every other infraction irregardless of your beliefs from magazine clips in firearms of hunters on ATV's. Cause for all you know, there could be ammo in there too right? Same with knowing and judging others if they have a beer on them while sitting the edge of a cutline.

This is where I personally choose to use my own judgment, and try to rule out ethics as an emotional drive to report others.
I chose to use safety as my main drive, not whether someone may have a better chance of harvesting an animal over me sitting on a bait pile and so on. If it comes to a point I believe the management of the game can be affected as a result I would then choose to intervene. We all have our own opinions not much different than Game Wardens themselves. Because they choose to enforce them different from one infraction to another doesn't make what we decide to report any different from one anothers ethics and morals.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Why didn't you comment on the 17 year old? We all know how to tell if someone is impaired and that's fine, easy enough. Let the CEO take care of the breathalyzer test. Would be interesting if someone was called in for having one beer next to the animal he just downed though.
Always interesting how others extend the original question to the worst case scenario. Duh, who wouldn't expect to be reported if you were hunting impaired. It's like saying if I see a suspected drunk driver I would call them in, I sure hope so!
I didn't comment on the 17 year old, because I don't go around asking other hunters their ages, so I wouldn't even know that he is 17.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I didn't comment on the 17 year old, because I don't go around asking other hunters their ages, so I wouldn't even know that he is 17.
Would you report him if you knew he was 17? Let's make this cut and dry for you since you like to work around everything and reword them in your favor. Who cares how you found out he was under the legal age. But you now know!
Old 08-28-2015, 06:43 PM
Banned

If he didn't report the 17 year old then he would be a poacher using his weird logic.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
If he didn't report the 17 year old then he would be a poacher using his weird logic.
You wouldn't be a poacher for not reporting the 17 year old, because you haven't hunted illegally yourself, which is what constitutes poaching . In fact the 17 year old isn't committing any violations of the Wildlife Act either , so is he really poaching? What he is doing, is committing a violation of the Firearms Act. I would probably speak to him, and his parents about it, and if he still insists on carrying a firearm illegally, then I might take further action.

When I was serving on the executive of the local club, it was reported to me that an individual was using a 30 round magazine in a handgun, in one of the handgun bays. I walked into the bay , told the two people present what was reported to me, and then I told them to immediately remove any prohibited devices from the range property, and never bring them back. I never actually saw any prohibited magazine, but the two thanked me, and left immediately.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 08-28-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:21 PM

Smile

Quote:
A wise man once told me;

Lucky.

Do you know what they call a guy who has killed more than one Boone and Crockett bucks?
Poacher.
Or.....

That guy may spend thousands of hours in the off season scouting, picking sheds, gaining permission, setting trailcams etc etc to the point where he should be divorced.

Then spend hundreds of hours on stand freezing and waiting for that deer to show during legal light.

Just a thought !
Old 08-28-2015, 07:22 PM
Banned

What further action would need to be taken? Does he have a Win card and hunting license? Gun of legal caliber? If the answer is yes then leave him be.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbllung View Post
Or.....

That guy may spend thousands of hours in the off season scouting, picking sheds, gaining permission, setting trailcams etc etc to the point where he should be divorced.

Then spend hundreds of hours on stand freezing and waiting for that deer to show during legal light.

Just a thought !
Nope.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
You wouldn't be a poacher for not reporting the 17 year old, because you haven't hunted illegally yourself, which is what constitutes poaching . In fact the 17 year old isn't committing any violations of the Wildlife Act either , so is he really poaching? What he is doing, is committing a violation of the Firearms Act. I would probably speak to him, and his parents about it, and if he still insists on carrying a firearm illegally, then I might take further action.

When I was serving on the executive of the local club, it was reported to me that an individual was using a 30 round magazine in a handgun, in one of the handgun bays. I walked into the bay , told the two people present what was reported to me, and then I told them to immediately remove any prohibited devices from the range property, and never bring them back. I never actually saw any prohibited magazine, but the two thanked me, and left immediately.
Do you report individuals speeding 105KPH in 100KPH zones too? Just curious...
Or do you simply pull in front of them to hold them back?

I think unless it's serious like obviously impaired hunters or serious abuse of the resources and time is of the essence, let the guys paid to do their jobs do their jobs in their checks. Then they can choose to issue a warning or infraction.
That report a poacher number is there for a reason, I really don't think you need to personally go to his parents. That's ridiculous you would do that especially when the law used to be 16. I like how you infer that your the one to take upon the action to insure the law is upheld. It's not your job to enforce it!
Old 08-28-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Do you report individuals speeding 105KPH in 100KPH zones too? Just curious...
Or do you simply pull in front of them to hold them back?

I think unless it's serious like obviously impaired hunters or serious abuse of the resources and time is of the essence, let the guys paid to do their jobs do their jobs in their checks. Then they can choose to issue a warning or infraction.
That report a poacher number is there for a reason, I really don't think you need to personally go to his parents. That's ridiculous you would do that especially when the law used to be 16. I like how you infer that your the one to take upon the action to insure the law is upheld. It's not your job to enforce it!

I don't report people for doing 110 or even 120 in a 100 zone, unless they are doing something dangerous like passing on blind hills or driving erratically. I realize that minor speeding tickets are a cash cow, they aren't making our highways safer.

I believe that going to his parents is better than him getting charged under the Firearms Act, and being prohibited from owning firearms. I was one of the people contacting my MP, the PM , and others about C-68, to express my objection to many of it's silly regulations, but it was enacted, so I have to live with it. I was also one of the people that wrote to my MP and the PM about repealing the long gun registry, so obviously I don't agree with our firearms laws. What have you done to try to enact changes in our firearms laws? How many letters have you written to the PM , or to your MP?

As far as people using bait, or other illegal means, such as hunting in closed areas, or after hours, or exceeding the bag limit, I will report this, because the resources belong to all Alberta residents, and those that break the rules to take those resources are stealing from the rest of us.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Nope.
Yer right.

Statistically impossible

Little closed minded are we??
Old 08-28-2015, 08:51 PM

[QUOTE=Kurt505;2940934]A wise man once told me;

Lucky.

poacher!!![/B]QUOTE]

Your wise man sounds Jealous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbllung View Post
Or.....

Just a thought !
Exactly!!! Some guys think they are dedicated, and then they run across a guy like you describe and more. Then they understand the difference....
Old 08-28-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I don't report people for doing 110 or even 120 in a 100 zone, unless they are doing something dangerous like passing on blind hills or driving erratically. I realize that minor speeding tickets are a cash cow, they aren't making our highways safer.

I believe that going to his parents is better than him getting charged under the Firearms Act, and being prohibited from owning firearms. I was one of the people contacting my MP, the PM , and others about C-68, to express my objection to many of it's silly regulations, but it was enacted, so I have to live with it. I was also one of the people that wrote to my MP and the PM about repealing the long gun registry, so obviously I don't agree with our firearms laws. What have you done to try to enact changes in our firearms laws? How many letters have you written to the PM , or to your MP?

As far as people using bait, or other illegal means, such as hunting in closed areas, or after hours, or exceeding the bag limit, I will report this, because the resources belong to all Alberta residents, and those that break the rules to take those resources are stealing from the rest of us.
I have and never will do enough in your eyes, I would hate to be your child cause I know for a fact I would never amount to the level of perfection you seem to think you have attained in life.

How about I voted against them, is that good enough to you? No I didn't think so... My father is just like yourself in regards to voicing his beliefs in politics so I'm well aware and pushed often about what voting for the wrong person will do to my rights as a firearms owner. He was just like you at the range for a long period of time, but I'm sure you'd never believe it either. He doesn't like taking both his brother and I, his son to the range at the same time as he believes it's an abuse to his range privilege's of bringing too many "guests" with him at the same time. I know he is anal retentative, but nothing to your level no doubt. That is what makes him and I unique and different. I have that right to be different from you, it is not wrong as you may believe.

You versed yourself well in what you would report, but that points to items you clearly wouldn't report that aren't legal. What does that do to your self conscious? Can you handle knowing your no different than the rest of us for making a moral decision based on your ethics and not the law?
You spend more time kicking around and trying to point yourself as flawless and correct in every angle. What you just wrote clearly points to an ethical belief in what to report or not, even though you made it sound like a legality issue. It's clearly not just about hunting if your pointing out Firearms act being different from the Wildlife act, and now different from the Traffic act. The law is the law. That's why I personally choose to treat all law as the same, not one more important than the other...

We all have our own ethics and are entitled to them, that doesn't make me right from yours, and yours wrong from mine. That was one very important aspect of Hunting Bill Bowie taught me in my hunters ed course way back in '93. I know you know and appear to have respect for Bowie, that's why I'm bringing him up, he was a very important role model for many of us in the Fort McMurray area. Maybe you could learn something from him?
Old 08-28-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I have and never will do enough in your eyes, I would hate to be your child cause I know for a fact I would never amount to the level of perfection you seem to think you have attained in life.

How about I voted against them, is that good enough to you? No I didn't think so... My father is just like yourself in regards to voicing his beliefs in politics so I'm well aware and pushed often about what voting for the wrong person will do to my rights as a firearms owner. He was just like you at the range for a long period of time, but I'm sure you'd never believe it either. He doesn't like taking both his brother and I, his son to the range at the same time as he believes it's an abuse to his range privilege's of bringing too many "guests" with him at the same time. I know he is anal retentative, but nothing to your level no doubt. That is what makes him and I unique and different. I have that right to be different from you, it is not wrong as you may believe.
Blah. Blah, blah, blah in other words you have done nothing at all to try and change our firearms laws, all that you do is complain about them , just like most firearms owners. That is why we have C-68 in the first place.

As for how I act at the range, how would you have the slightest clue how I act at the range? Have we even met? Were you there when I was teaching new shooters to shoot skeet or trap, or helping people sight in their rifles? Were you there when we were making improvements to the range? As to abusing range privileges as a guest, there is actually a limit as to the amount of times a person can visit the range as a guest. Unless you are a member, or a minor that is part of a family membership, you are allowed to visit the range twice as a guest, before you are expected to take out your own membership. That rule exists because some people were buying one membership in one person's name, and the whole group would show up every week , one as the member, and the rest as guests. As well, some people had the stupid idea that a family membership covers the parents, their thirty something year old children, and their grandchildren. Unfortunately, despite the high wages in the city, there are many people that want to use the facility, but they are too cheap to purchase a membership.

Quote:
That's why I personally choose to treat all law as the same, not one more important than the other...
So hunting after hours with a light, driving while impaired, and hunting on your own with a firearm at 17 years , are all equally important? None is more important than the other to you?
Old 08-28-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Blah. Blah, blah, blah in other words you have done nothing at all to try and change our firearms laws, all that you do is complain about them , just like most firearms owners. That is why we have C-68 in the first place.

As for how I act at the range, how would you have the slightest clue how I act at the range? Have we even met? Were you there when I was teaching new shooters to shoot skeet or trap, or helping people sight in their rifles? Were you there when we were making improvements to the range? As to abusing range privileges as a guest, there is actually a limit as to the amount of times a person can visit the range as a guest. Unless you are a member, or a minor that is part of a family membership, you are allowed to visit the range twice as a guest, before you are expected to take out your own membership. That rule exists because some people were buying one membership in one person's name, and the whole group would show up every week , one as the member, and the rest as guests. As well, some people had the stupid idea that a family membership covers the parents, their thirty something year old children, and their grandchildren. Unfortunately, despite the high wages in the city, there are many people that want to use the facility, but they are too cheap to purchase a membership.

So hunting after hours with a light, driving while impaired, and hunting on your own with a firearm at 17 years , are all equally important? None is more important than the other to you?
Yet you continue to try to manipulate everything in your favor to try and point out that you are an amazing person, and everyone else are idiots. As usual, any discussion with you a is a great waste of time.
You still somehow think you are more elite then the rest of anyone else on this planet. We are nothing but children to you that you are trying to teach, and no one can teach you anything apparently.

At least I am not alone in others on this forum seeing this.

Maybe you can best make time of your retirement and run politically since you seem to be so amazing at what you do for all of us in fighting for our rights?
Better yet, become a Fish and Game officer too while your at it. You sound pretty amazing, you should be able to do both at the same time...
Old 08-28-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yep a huge field of alfalfa...pot stirred.
Haha I prefer a swathed oat field myself
Old 08-28-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Yet you continue to try to manipulate everything in your favor to try and point out that you are an amazing person, and everyone else are idiots.
Actually I believe that there are a great many knowledgeable people on this forum, some of whom do a great deal to fight our unjust firearms laws, some who fight for the rights of resident hunters, and some who put a lot of effort into teaching new hunters , and new shooters, and to promote our sport. I am pleased to have met several, and to have shared information with many of them. Then again there are members who don't fit into any of those categories. But as you posted, everyone is unique.