Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-27-2015, 08:39 PM

Default Elk tag question

Just wondering, if I have been awarded a cow elk draw tag but have not yet purchased it can I buy archery bull elk instead? Thanks
Old 08-27-2015, 08:47 PM

No
Old 08-27-2015, 08:47 PM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods
Default nope

Only if it is 212 Antler-less
Old 08-27-2015, 08:57 PM

Ok thanks that's what I thought . I got suffied cow elk tag. Now that I found out it is issued with 2 tags I was going to try archery bull elk. As my buddy also got the suffield duel cow elk tag.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:01 PM

Well if your looking for some place to put a cow elk I know where there's a spare freezer. Haha.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:58 PM

There is no cow elk draw tag, nor is there an archery bull tag.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Bingo.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:16 AM

I was drawn for antler less elk on the base. And I was enquiring about archery antlered elk.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george 1979 View Post
I was drawn for antler less elk on the base. And I was enquiring about archery antlered elk.
There is no archery antlered elk tag. There is an elk tag which can be used during the archery season, and the wmu that you choose to hunt determines what kind of elk that you can take. In most cases during the arhery season, you can use the elk tag to take an antlerless elk, or depending on the wmu, a three point elk, or a six point elk, or in very limited wmus, an antlered elk.

Once you have drawn an elk tag other than a tag for wmu 212, you are not allowed to purchase an elk tag to be used during the archery or general season.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Wow.....anal retentive much...how do you even walk?
Old 08-28-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
You sound like one of those people that don't understand why there are no bull or cow licenses, and why the current definitions are used instead.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
^^^ this
Old 08-28-2015, 10:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
You sound like one of those people that don't understand why there are no bull or cow licenses, and why the current definitions are used instead.
...and you sound like my 4th grade teacher,always correcting everybody's grammar.
Btw,it's "doesn't understand."
Old 08-28-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
...and you sound like my 4th grade teacher,always correcting everybody's grammar.
Btw,it's "doesn't understand."
Actually there is a very good reason for the antlerless designation, that being that you can use that tag on a male elk that is not antlered. Why would a person tag an male elk with a "cow" tag, when it obviously isn't a cow?
As for the elk tag, it can be used during the archery season, or during the regular season, so it isn't an archery tag. Depending on the wmu, and the season, it can be used on antlerless elk, antlered elk, or a 3 point elk, or a 6 point elk, so it obviously isn't a cow, bull, or antlered, or antlerless tag.

Using the proper definitions actually makes it easier to understand the regulations and seasons, so why not use the proper definitions?
Old 08-28-2015, 11:18 AM
Banned

Well I can't argue with that,but everybody reading the OP knows exactly what he meant by a cow tag,and you in particular have a long history of being obsessed with correcting poster's terminology usage,wether it's cows/antlerless,shells/cartridges,caliber etc etc etc on and on and on......the AO Terminology Police....what gives??
Chillax man.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you use slang terms for licenses it leads to confussion for new hunters and the Till operators that are trying to process their license request.

Get a nonhunting buddy or wife to go get you a " Archery Bull elk tag" from the local Husky station being serviced by some 16 year old kid that has never ran the license machine let alone seen an Elk and tell me how it goes.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:06 PM

While the true definition is antlerless, every single one of the 20,000+ members here knows that "cow" means antlerless. Don't try to argue the point. It is simply true.

Elk you post a lot of good info here. But you also post a lot of stuff that I am sure you know irritates the hell out of guys. I would guess just for the sake of irritating said guys. As happened above.

There are some things that don't need to be said. Every. Single. Time.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
If you use slang terms for licenses it leads to confussion for new hunters and the Till operators that are trying to process their license request.

Get a nonhunting buddy or wife to go get you a " Archery Bull elk tag" from the local Husky station being serviced by some 16 year old kid that has never ran the license machine let alone seen an Elk and tell me how it goes.

Exactly! I have been introducing many new shooters , hunters and reloaders to the sport, and I find that if they learn and use the proper terminology, it makes things easier to understand, and eliminates some confusion.. I have actually witnessed a person looking at a young whitetailed deer trying to determine if it was male or female, because he were told that the season was only open for bucks. The deer was obviously antlerless, but he was trying to determine if it was a button buck. I have also met people that thought that they could kill a spike elk during the archery season, when they were actually only allowed to kill antlerless, or three point or better elk in that wmu. They were told that they could legally kill any bull or cow elk, during the archery season. In both cases, listening to other people that were not using the correct terminology confused them.

As to Deerguy's example, I have seen many people show up at the issuer, late on the last day to apply for draws, and the result was total chaos because these people either asked for draws that didn't exist, or they confused the wmu and draw choice, or they wanted to put in for more tags than they were allowed. The result was very frustrating for both the people trying to put in draws, and for the poor woman trying to understand what they wanted. If these people had taken the time to learn the proper terminology, things would have been much simpler for everyone.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
While the true definition is antlerless, every single one of the 20,000+ members here knows that "cow" means antlerless. Don't try to argue the point. It is simply true.

Elk you post a lot of good info here. But you also post a lot of stuff that I am sure you know irritates the hell out of guys. I would guess just for the sake of irritating said guys. As happened above.

There are some things that don't need to be said. Every. Single. Time.
Like.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:04 PM

I guess next time I make a post I will try and use the proper terminology right off the hop as to not cause any confusion.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:38 PM

I have to say I'm with elkhunter on this one, it helps to be specific.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Exactly! I have been introducing many new shooters , hunters and reloaders to the sport, and I find that if they learn and use the proper terminology, it makes things easier to understand, and eliminates some confusion.. I have actually witnessed a person looking at a young whitetailed deer trying to determine if it was male or female, because he were told that the season was only open for bucks. The deer was obviously antlerless, but he was trying to determine if it was a button buck. I have also met people that thought that they could kill a spike elk during the archery season, when they were actually only allowed to kill antlerless, or three point or better elk in that wmu. They were told that they could legally kill any bull or cow elk, during the archery season. In both cases, listening to other people that were not using the correct terminology confused them.

As to Deerguy's example, I have seen many people show up at the issuer, late on the last day to apply for draws, and the result was total chaos because these people either asked for draws that didn't exist, or they confused the wmu and draw choice, or they wanted to put in for more tags than they were allowed. The result was very frustrating for both the people trying to put in draws, and for the poor woman trying to understand what they wanted. If these people had taken the time to learn the proper terminology, things would have been much simpler for everyone.
Ahhh the CEO Game Warden of Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum is back at it again, at least I'm not the only one seeing how annoying it's getting. You may mean well, but in the end you still sound way too uptight and just don't back off. Learn to apply it where it's really necessary man, not every freaking possible spot you can figure out how to manipulate it in your favor to point others in the wrong all the time. Getting old... Soon he'll move onto spelling and grammar mistakes too. He'll be the only one left on this forum with no one left to argue with. Haha, does nothing wrong ever, but never hesitates to correct others in every thread. His retirement has been way too painful for the rest of us on here!
Old 08-28-2015, 06:49 PM
Banned

Feel The Love ,,, lmfao